McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone personally experienced the different factory exhausts available on the '13 Spider and able to make a comment comparing the two? I've got a standard exhaust on my car and I'm wondering if it is worth the upgrade to the factory Sports exhaust.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The exhaust swap over I have done is on a Coupe and I understand the exhaust configuration and sound may be slightly different on the Spider, although I would imagine the same principle comparisons apply.

My Sports Exhaust is the same as the current MY13 Coupe sports exhaust (non-valved), which is probably closer to the nature of the Spider sports exhaust than earlier valved versions for the Coupe - so the comparison is probably fairly relevant.

As far as I am concerned I do prefer the sports exhaust, but the difference in sound is probably not as great as you might think. There is also the relatively minimal 2.4 kg weight saving I noted in my earlier posts, but this is almost certainly too small a difference to be of any real relevance.

The sports exhaust is a bit louder across the rev range, but the main difference is in exhaust tone as it has a 'gruffer' and slightly more 'angry' edge. It also produces a more pronounced 'burble' on the overrun (not any 'popping' as such), although even the standard exhaust has this 'burble' to a slightly lesser extent.

It is not in any way unpleasantly loud in the car and does not have the fatiguing effect of a F430 or F458 exhaust on long distance runs. I was initially concerned when driving in the lower gears that it could prove to be fatiguing on the motorway, but the apparent noise level difference is less when you get into 7th gear and it (conveniently) seems barely any louder than the standard exhaust when driving at normal motorway speeds in top gear.

Bear in mind that you could always change over later on as I have done, as the part cost of the sports exhaust was only marginally more than the option cost when specifying the car - so I think the 'extra over' cost I ended up paying for making the switch later was less than £500 including the fitting charge (which is arguably better value than specifying it with the car, as I still have the standard exhaust sitting in my garage if I decided to swap back at a later date). This might have changed, however, with the recent parts cost increases referred to elsewhere on the forum.

Hope all this helps in your decision making.

·
Phil
241 Posts
The exhaust swap over I have done is on a Coupe and I understand the exhaust configuration and sound may be slightly different on the Spider, although I would imagine the same principle comparisons apply.

My Sports Exhaust is the same as the current MY13 Coupe sports exhaust (non-valved), which is probably closer to the nature of the Spider sports exhaust than earlier valved versions for the Coupe - so the comparison is probably fairly relevant.

As far as I am concerned I do prefer the sports exhaust, but the difference in sound is probably not as great as you might think. There is also the relatively minimal 2.4 kg weight saving I noted in my earlier posts, but this is almost certainly too small a difference to be of any real relevance.

The sports exhaust is a bit louder across the rev range, but the main difference is in exhaust tone as it has a 'gruffer' and slightly more 'angry' edge. It also produces a more pronounced 'burble' on the overrun (not any 'popping' as such), although even the standard exhaust has this 'burble' to a slightly lesser extent.

It is not in any way unpleasantly loud in the car and does not have the fatiguing effect of a F430 or F458 exhaust on long distance runs. I was initially concerned when driving in the lower gears that it could prove to be fatiguing on the motorway, but the apparent noise level difference is less when you get into 7th gear and it (conveniently) seems barely any louder than the standard exhaust when driving at normal motorway speeds in top gear.

Bear in mind that you could always change over later on as I have done, as the part cost of the sports exhaust was only marginally more than the option cost when specifying the car - so I think the 'extra over' cost I ended up paying for making the switch later was less than £500 including the fitting charge (which is arguably better value than specifying it with the car, as I still have the standard exhaust sitting in my garage if I decided to swap back at a later date). This might have changed, however, with the recent parts cost increases referred to elsewhere on the forum.

I have done the same thing and agree with Duncati. Some may consider the differences to be subtle but the tone is actually significantly more sporty.

Do it!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

Excellent post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts