McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys gone for the sport fabric on the seats (or thinking about it?). I've specced it for now (orange fabric on a graphite car) but there are no pictures of the real thing - can anyone help?

thanks!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wolf, I have the same spec - graphite with orange space fabric interior and contrast stitching (with stealth wheels and orange calipers). The space fabric looks great in person - comparable to the 430 Scuderia, as some have pointed out.

·
Owner
544 Posts
I think sport fabric divides opinion. Yes on the scuderia you can get away with it as its the "race" model of the 430 family, but for an everyday driver such as the 12C its both impractical (cleaning wise) and the durability is suspect (tears). I would spec it in the future GT variant but not in this car. Leather is the safe bet but costs extra.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Sports fabric seems to divide opinions a bit like Marmite which is also difficult to clean....

It does bring some colour to the cabin and also accentuates the body colour, particularly on VO, VR and Mac Orange. It also is cool and prevents perspiration of your back, which the leather choice does not even on a short test drive. It is claimed to be grippy as well.

Dowsides, it is easily snagged if you or your passengers are clumsy, difficult to clean - maybe - and I am yet to be convinced it grips that well. I have been told that you can feel the diamond pattern if wearing a shirt or thin garment.

I think it is advisable to take a close look, sit on it and feel it before making a choice.

Many drivers will be happy with it - I think MPC told me 12% or less had been specced on the first 100 cars. So it will be rare as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, my order locks at midnight tonight and I'm going for the orange space fabric.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Also possible:
leather with alcantara in another colour!?!:confused:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I did leather with alcantara option then through special ops requested orange space seat inserts for an extra charge (not a large amount but still more $).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've now seen the orange space fabric, the leather interior, and the alcantara/leather interior and am quite happy with my choice of leather sport interior with orange space fabric / black leather and white paint.

Also I've sat in all three and find them comparable. I did not find that the space fabric snagged on the rivets in my jeans but then again I didn't slide around in the seats - the space fabric was on the showroom model cars, not the demonstrators.

I think the space fabric adds a lot of character to the car whereas the leather / alcantara options are more generic. Unfortunately the leather quality is not as good as Ferrari's so why bother competing directly - do something more original!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've specc'd orange space fabric and matching stiching on my VO car, with carbon interior. I think the cloth looks fabulous, and when discussing the longevity/snagging issues with someone who should know, he pointed out that the exact same fabric used on the Scud has been around for several years now and is wearing perfectly well thank you. Also, living in the nightmarish heat of Houston, space fabric is the only sensible choice IMHO.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've never had any issues with snagging on the fabric in my Scuderia. It wears well and is pretty grippy.

Cleaning it when something gets inbetween the two layers requires more effort than you would like.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I've now seen the orange space fabric, the leather interior, and the alcantara/leather interior and am quite happy with my choice of leather sport interior with orange space fabric / black leather and white paint.

Also I've sat in all three and find them comparable. I did not find that the space fabric snagged on the rivets in my jeans but then again I didn't slide around in the seats - the space fabric was on the showroom model cars, not the demonstrators.

I think the space fabric adds a lot of character to the car whereas the leather / alcantara options are more generic. Unfortunately the leather quality is not as good as Ferrari's so why bother competing directly - do something more original!
Depends on the how you see quality,i agree the softness on a ferrari is superb,but the 12c is designed as a DD,so they have used porsche spec ,which is harder wearing as ferrari leather seems to wear at the edges too quickly if you were to use it for more than special occasions

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sat in a car with alcantara and then one with space fabric and I must say that I am very pleased I opted for the space fabric. I could actually feel it breathing on my back and legs and I believe it will be noticeably cooler in hot weather.

Plus it looks cool (pun intended)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Depends on the how you see quality,i agree the softness on a ferrari is superb,but the 12c is designed as a DD,so they have used porsche spec ,which is harder wearing as ferrari leather seems to wear at the edges too quickly if you were to use it for more than special occasions
That's an interesting perspective - I haven't owned a Ferrari so I wouldn't know. I did see an FF in the showroom and the quality of the interior on that is astoundingly good - better even than Aston Martin.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The last 911 I had with an all leather interior got scuffed on the passenger door by wrist watches and cufflinks as it was soft and the passengers gripping on for dear life in terror.

Something to be said for 'hard' leather or plastic leather, wow never in my car! But plastic leather is so good these days......and saves £4000.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It seems everyone has opted for leather regardless of fabric or alcantara center. I have leather in all my cars but was intrigued by the standard synthetic leather looking material ..Anyone spec for standard ? Opinions ?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
It seems everyone has opted for leather regardless of fabric or alcantara center. I have leather in all my cars but was intrigued by the standard synthetic leather looking material ..Anyone spec for standard ? Opinions ?
i have leather and alcantara,which is the best of all worlds.The leather for durability and the alcantara for grip,i also use the car daily but didnt want the electric seats (weight saving,why buy a lightweight car to overload it with stuff i only use once),so the alcantara is good in cold weather,unfortunatly nobody offers heated seats without the full heavy electic motors that come with them(why is that)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts