McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I loaded up my 12c when I ordered, one option I didn't tick was the sport exhaust. I didn't like the cabin sound intrusion, which I believe now to be ISG's fault! Happily, ISG can be turned off in the v10 software.

For those of you with the McLaren sport exhaust, how do you like it compared to the standard exhaust? Other than volume, how is the "tone" of the sport exhaust?

How would you compare the sport exhaust to the higher flowing reduced cat aftermarket exhausts (not the straight pipe offerings)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
While I loaded up my 12c when I ordered, one option I didn't tick was the sport exhaust. I didn't like the cabin sound intrusion, which I believe now to be ISG's fault! Happily, ISG can be turned off in the v10 software.

For those of you with the McLaren sport exhaust, how do you like it compared to the standard exhaust? Other than volume, how is the "tone" of the sport exhaust?

How would you compare the sport exhaust to the higher flowing reduced cat aftermarket exhausts (not the straight pipe offerings)?

Thanks!
I have the Sport exhaust and like it, but I don't have a Standard exhaust to compare it to. I am not sure that the ISG can be completely turned off, just moved down to position 1 out of 3, unless position 1 is off? I tried full on, and it sounds horrible, all my modes are at position 1.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe with my standard exhaust, position 1 of the ISG results in off. Noticeably different than position 2.

·
Phil
241 Posts
ISG valves are fully closed in position 1, the setting that used to be associated with N mode...

I ordered my car with the standard exhaust but recently upgraded to the inconel sports exhaust as it delivers a slightly more 'tuned' note especially outside the car, although the volume is actually only slightly louder!

I always keep the ISG on 1 as I loathe its artificial soundtrack...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ISG valves are fully closed in position 1, the setting that used to be associated with N mode...

I ordered my car with the standard exhaust but recently upgraded to the inconel sports exhaust as it delivers a slightly more 'tuned' note especially outside the car, although the volume is actually only slightly louder!

I always keep the ISG on 1 as I loathe its artificial soundtrack...
Is the sound quality worth it? (relatively speaking) ie Would you do it now that you have had both?

Yeah, I keep ISG off (ie on 1). I don't understand the rationale behind these things on any car except a toy car, let alone something like a 12c. A mistake on the factory's part in IMVHO!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Is the sound quality worth it? (relatively speaking) ie Would you do it now that you have had both?

Yeah, I keep ISG off (ie on 1). I don't understand the rationale behind these things on any car except a toy car, let alone something like a 12c. A mistake on the factory's part in IMVHO!
As mentioned above, you really get no more sound inside the car with the Sports exhaust, only from outside. So if you are looking to please others, do it, if not, just stick with what you have.

·
Phil
241 Posts
You're right about the ISG, it was a knee-jerk reaction to journalist complaints that the 12C lacked soul - I'm not sure how a horrible artificially enhanced induction roar adds soul but some of the hacks allegedly liked it!

The sports exhaust on the other hand does deliver a genuine exhaust note enhancement... Is it worth the extra money? Probably not really BUT having experienced both systems I'd tick the option box for it every time if I were specifying a new 12C...

·
Phil
241 Posts
As mentioned above, you really get no more sound inside the car with the Sports exhaust, only from outside. So if you are looking to please others, do it, if not, just stick with what you have.
Actually it sounds different both inside and outside. Only a tiny bit louder but definitely a slightly hollower, racier sound as you'd expect from a thinner walled inconel system.

I changed the system for my own aural delight, not spectators...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Well if any one is interested, I have a brand spanking new stealth sports exhaust which is for sale. The problem being is I'm located up in Canada eh, not sure I would want to ship this baby out, would prefer that it be picked up. Cheers....??

·
Registered
271 Posts
i understand the exhaust of the spider is different from the coupe and sounds better. I have the sports exhaust and it sounds ok, perhaps i was expecting more.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i understand the exhaust of the spider is different from the coupe and sounds better. I have the sports exhaust and it sounds ok, perhaps i was expecting more.
This conversation has been had in the past, and a slight modification has occurred to the system. The only reason the system sounds different is due to the car being a spider.

This picture provided by Fabspeed.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363822864.390627.jpg

As is the posting done by Fabspeed as well.

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=33844#post33844

Cheers.....??

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the sport exhaust and concur with all that was said. It sounds good but not great but it does sound much better to spectators outside the car and as all pointed out I also keep my noise level on 1.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That ISG function was terrible. It sounded so fake, hollow pipe sounding. yuk.
I'd shut it off, remove some sound insulation and cut some weight at the same time.

Heard the new Cayman / Boxster exhaust? Porsche finally listened to the customer and the new sport system has added burble and pop. Awesome for a factory exhaust system.
Gen 1 Cayman had much less sound deadning material and you could hear the engine wirr quiet nicely. Unfortunately newer versions started to cater for the masses and now you cant hear the engine at all.
Porsche added an ISG in the new 911 as well for the same reason, it sounds bad too. Nuts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can anyone shed some light with diagrams and pictures how the Intake Sound Generator (ISG) actually functions and what components it comprises?:confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the topic of great sounding exhausts, I miss my SLS Roadster. The burble and pop on overruns was amazing... and genuine sounding.

Arguably, I like it better than the 458. While the 458 sounds great at mid to high revs, the exhaust flap abruptly opening at around 3K rpm, makes it feel somewhat contrived. Ferrari should have tried to make it a bit more progressive. (In the Spider there is no over run pop and burble either.)

Perhaps I should have a look at the SLS GT Roadster... a little stiffer suspension, and faster shifting addresses its earlier shortcomings. And the chasis was already stiffer than the 458.

Too many cars... too little garage space!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can anyone shed some light with diagrams and pictures how the Intake Sound Generator (ISG) actually functions and what components it comprises?:confused:
You can google the specific details, but essentially the reality is its an air pressure driven speaker fron the intake manifold of all things.
In the words of Borat, how embarrassment!

·
Registered
23 Posts
we'll have video up shortly of the 2013 spyder stock sport exhaust. It's a slightly higher pitch than the coupe sport exhaust that did/does not have the additional resonators.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can google the specific details, but essentially the reality is its an air pressure driven speaker fron the intake manifold of all things.
In the words of Borat, how embarrassment!
Many props for the Borat quote!!! Its sorely appropriate when it comes to ING.

·
Registered
58 Posts
we'll have video up shortly of the 2013 spyder stock sport exhaust. It's a slightly higher pitch than the coupe sport exhaust that did/does not have the additional resonators.
Is there a way to open up the stock sport exhaust even more for better sound?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Too many cars... too little garage space!
My buddy is advocating an underground lair beneath one of my existing garages for this problem... Bruce Wayne style!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts