McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you see whether a car has the sport exhaust from the outside? Does it have a sport button or exhaust button to turn the exhaust on and off?

and also, the intake sound generator, is that real sound or just a sound generated by the sound system like what the f10 M5 is using?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
How do you see whether a car has the sport exhaust from the outside? Does it have a sport button or exhaust button to turn the exhaust on and off?

and also, the intake sound generator, is that real sound or just a sound generated by the sound system like what the f10 M5 is using?

Thanks.
The only way to tell is if the car is running or you can tell if its inconel or steel,so almost impossible if its switched off,there are no internal differences,and it is real sound not from the music system god forbid!!!
The isg can be turned off so that no sound entres the cabin though.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You can tell which exhaust is fitted by taking a good look through the gap around the exhaust tip. The standard exhaust has the boxy arrangement shown in the photo below (courtesy of macmadmark on another thread). For the inconel this "box" looks more like a standard pipe. Tried to take a photo through the gap but just impossible to achieve. There ia a noticeable difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
I cannot take the credit for that snippet of information Andy. Credit goes to Vladan at the showroom here, I once had 15 mins to kill and we compared exhausts on the cars they had in stock ..... Yes, I'm a bit of a saddo!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I just use the window sticker to decipher this mystery.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I cannot take the credit for that snippet of information Andy. Credit goes to Vladan at the showroom here, I once had 15 mins to kill and we compared exhausts on the cars they had in stock ..... Yes, I'm a bit of a saddo!
Anoraks R us ,Jerry ,but i could never have been a train spotter,glad you moved abroad ?

Just set them all off on wiki,except 6th;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm sure the sports exhaust is available through parts. But the Spider exhaust is the one to get! ...if you're changing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys. After looking in the internet for inconel, I still couldnt get what you guys meant.

Background info, Im running the Singapore Edition. And im not sure that my car has the sport exhaust. Dealership said I had it in my car. How I wish there is any photos of the sport exhaust with all the hood opened

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. After looking in the internet for inconel, I still couldnt get what you guys meant.

Background info, Im running the Singapore Edition. And im not sure that my car has the sport exhaust. Dealership said I had it in my car. How I wish there is any photos of the sport exhaust with all the hood opened
The Singapore Edition was quoted as having the sports exhaust by Mclaren when they released the specs as far as i can remember,the best of everything they had at the time!!
Dont worry about the dealership as many are still getting up to speed,but if Mclaren mothership says it has,then it has.They have set out a premise not to B------T:)
Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can tell which exhaust is fitted by taking a good look through the gap around the exhaust tip. The standard exhaust has the boxy arrangement shown in the photo below (courtesy of macmadmark on another thread). For the inconel this "box" looks more like a standard pipe. Tried to take a photo through the gap but just impossible to achieve. There ia a noticeable difference.
Mine has the sports exhaust and you can see the difference very clearly, as said the box is not there, it's simply replaced by what looks like an oversized piece of pipe.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh and you can see the section through the louvred vents on the top of the exhaust too if that helps

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Anoraks R us ,Jerry ,but i could never have been a train spotter,glad you moved abroad ?

Just set them all off on wiki,except 6th;)
A favorite John Hegley poem about train-spotters " that's right, we wear anoraks, but its a passion, not a fashion - show"

·
Registered
21 Posts

Inconel is a metal alloy. The sport exhaust is Inconel as opposed to the stainless used in the standard exhaust. With the engine lid open you wont really see it, but your car does have it.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Thanks.
That's real sound. I had put loudest in all modes and got complaints from the wife I'm waking her up in the morning and she hears me comming streets away. In order to avoid problems with neighbours (and wifey) I put normal mode at is most silent. When approaching I put it back in normal mode. What nice cars we have. We can satisfy everybody.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
That's real sound. I had put loudest in all modes and got complaints from the wife I'm waking her up in the morning and she hears me comming streets away. In order to avoid problems with neighbours (and wifey) I put normal mode at is most silent. When approaching I put it back in normal mode. What nice cars we have. We can satisfy everybody.
Belg,unless im mistaken it sounds the same outside in all modes,apart from the fact that in auto/track and sport it changes at a higher rev limit making it naturally louder.In manual its your choice to keep the revs down whatever mode your in.The ISG only effects the inside sound:)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Correct, that's what Alessandro said when I drove a car with Sport Exhaust this Summer. From the outside of the car, there is no difference in sound volume between the power modes. The 12C does not have a valved exhaust system.

Inside, yes, unless you turn off the intake sound generator, which I will most likely do.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Changing the intake sound generator settings has no impact whatsoever on the sound level outside the car.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts