McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a potential spider I am interested in, a left over 2013! Only issue is it does not have the sport exhaust. Anyone feel sport exhaust is a must and if so why? Any good aftermarket options, I'm always leery of drone etc with non factory stuff. I've only experienced a spider equipped with the sport exhaust and wondering if its dramatically different from the non sport exhaust. No local dealer for me to go see for myself.
Anyone able to get a discount on an ordered 2014? If willing to give me a ballpark via private message that would help me as well. Maybe I can order a less optioned 2014 with a partial discount for what the higher optioned 2013 (lots of exterior carbon etc) with the current discount is going for.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Larini and AWE make full systems. I'm going with Larini high-flows in December. The cats are the money, the "exhaust" resembles and x-pipe and is way cheaper than the stock sport exhaust - but not worth the money to swap out a sport exhaust if you have it. The cats seem to be where the hp gains are. That's my opinion - but no experience with them yet - 2 more months to go.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does an aftermarket exhaust void the factory warranty in any way? Saw a few you tube videos, hard to truly appreciate the differing sounds. One video showed very little difference between the OEM sport and non sport exhaust. If this is truly the case then I may just settle for the non sport car.

·
Sponsor
1,381 Posts
Does an aftermarket exhaust void the factory warranty in any way? Saw a few you tube videos, hard to truly appreciate the differing sounds. One video showed very little difference between the OEM sport and non sport exhaust. If this is truly the case then I may just settle for the non sport car.
we sell exhaust to mclaren dealers all the time. if all you're looking for is something in place of the sport exhaust you can go with our x-pipe, it also picked up 6hp over the sport exhaust. I think the best combination is our sport cats and x pipe, You'll pick up 30+whp, no CEL, and the car sounds incredible!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Found a potential spider I am interested in, a left over 2013! Only issue is it does not have the sport exhaust. Anyone feel sport exhaust is a must and if so why? Any good aftermarket options, I'm always leery of drone etc with non factory stuff. I've only experienced a spider equipped with the sport exhaust and wondering if its dramatically different from the non sport exhaust. No local dealer for me to go see for myself.
Anyone able to get a discount on an ordered 2014? If willing to give me a ballpark via private message that would help me as well. Maybe I can order a less optioned 2014 with a partial discount for what the higher optioned 2013 (lots of exterior carbon etc) with the current discount is going for.
Thank you in advance for any advice.

the only car i test drove before i bought my spider had a sport exhaust and it was a coupe, my spider doesnt have a sport exhaust and i couldnt tell the difference from inside the car.
from outside im sure the car with sport exhaust is significantly louder.
from inside, i actually think that the spider without sport exhaust is louder with the top up if you lower the small rear window, than a coupe with sport exhaust when only the driver window is down.
with the top down its plenty loud and i like loud exhausts, but i dont feel its worth upgrading when u have a spider. try and drive both if you can.
as far as discounts, i think the 13 should be the better deal just haggle hard, it took me weeks and dozens of emails to get my spider's final discount.
good luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the AWE system. It has been amazing. There is a pick up in juice and it sounds great. When you have the throttle out live 5-6K it is awesome especially in tunnels. I got to witness the development process and it was very well executed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the average cost of an aftermarket system? I've been offered $6.5 k to have the factory sport exhaust installed. I don't want something that is much louder than factory as I don't want to be an easy target for my local law enforcement. Not sure if non factory options will be louder than the factory exhaust, if so I'm not interested in aftermarket even if half the cost.
Thank you all

·
Registered
42 Posts
What is the average cost of an aftermarket system? I've been offered $6.5 k to have the factory sport exhaust installed. I don't want something that is much louder than factory as I don't want to be an easy target for my local law enforcement. Not sure if non factory options will be louder than the factory exhaust, if so I'm not interested in aftermarket even if half the cost.
Thank you all
Check this out:

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/mp412chpe700.html

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just go with the sport exhaust for 6.5k. It's loud enough and you will have peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I have the sports exhaust. Frankly, wish I had the regular exhaust. I never got the loud engine thing, but to each their own. There is no performance boost from the sports exhaust. Slight weight savings (inconsequential) and more vroom vroom noise. Some of the after market packages will give you even more vroom vroom noise, and more importantly, some HP boost. However, not sure how it affects warranty. If you like the tinkering side, consider it a gift, as you would have cause to upgrade to the AWE system without having overspent on the sports exhaust.

Personally, I like things stock (and quieter).

tl;dr, if it doesn't negatively impact the warranty, and you want more noise and some HP boost, get an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the dealer install the inconel factory sports exhaust last week on my '13 Spider. I did about 8,000km on the standard exhaust and was OK with it but felt it lacked the volume to go with the performance. So far, I'm much happier with the new exhaust - louder, crisper, more blare under acceleration, more burble on overrun. I've mostly used it with the roof down but it is also louder with the roof up. I think the sports exhaust is a good upgrade for the Spider (I've never been in a coupe so couldn't comment there). I want my supercar to be loud. I've got other cars for the quiet life. I'm glad I got the upgrade. OP, if you like the car you've seen, buy it - you can alway upgrade later to either a McLaren sports exhaust or aftermarket.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the kind responses. I went back and forth with the exhaust issue. Ultimately I was not concerned with HP boost and weight. Lets face it, I'm not ever going to extract 100% of the performance out of the car. If I was worried about a few pounds of weight maybe I could just eat a few less meals and I could lose the weight myself, plus I'd save money:rolleyes:.
All joking aside, this being my dream car purchase I didn't want to compromise. I'm sure the standard exhaust would have suited my needs, but I didn't want to always wonder what if in the back of my mind. That being said I went ahead and asked the dealership to install the factory sport exhaust. I'm waiting for the moment when the delivery truck arrives at my home, lifts the back hatch and I see the rear of my car for the first time. I plan on standing behind the truck with my 3.5 y/o son and hearing the sport exhaust fire up as they start the car. It sounds ridiculous, but I am truly excited to receive this car.
I'll try and take a video and post it here when the car arrives.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It sounds ridiculous, but I am truly excited to receive this car.
I'll try and take a video and post it here when the car arrives.
It doesn't sound ridiculous to us :D

Please take the vid so we can share the excitement. Congrats!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I bought my car with the standard exhaust and then swapped for the factory sport exhaust. Inside it is not much of difference... Slightly louder and a little more over run sounds. Definitely better sounding outside of the car than inside. Worth it. That said, I might have gone with AWE had it been available at the time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just tried my Spider with its newly fitted sports exhaust on the freeway with the roof up. There's no boom and its very liveable. In fact, on steady throttle it is fairly quiet and not noticeably louder than the stock exhaust. Accelerate or decelerate and the noise level goes up. So, roof down - big difference, roof up - not as much. Overall, great success. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just tried my Spider with its newly fitted sports exhaust on the freeway with the roof up. There's no boom and its very liveable. In fact, on steady throttle it is fairly quiet and not noticeably louder than the stock exhaust. Accelerate or decelerate and the noise level goes up. So, roof down - big difference, roof up - not as much. Overall, great success. :)
Glad to hear, validates my decision! Especially the deceleration part! I literally can't wait. Thanks mhh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Neelan. Such a small world. I think you picked up the '13 spider I was interested in from Newport Beach. I was there one day late before you picked it up. Congrats man. I loved the orange perforated interior on that car. Did you get the car delivered yet? Now they have a 14' spider that my wife and I really liked, but they are not willing to work too much on the price since it is a '14. Can any of the guys here send me a PM and let me know how much should I be realistically expect on the deal of 14' spider? :confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts