McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The minute I pulled my 2013 spider off the delivery truck I put the roof down. I immediately got a warning "roof failure, drive to McLaren service center!" I called the dealer who initially felt my cars battery was likely low from the week long transport and recommended I plug in the trickle charger. Voila 4 hours later I was able to get the roof back up. Ever since then every other time I drop the roof I get the same warning. I don't believe the problem is related to the battery and the dealer now agrees. Randomly I will be able to raise the roof with no rhyme or reason. Dealer now feels its some kind of sensor malfunction. They mentioned they would contact McLaren headquarters for a solution and stated they would all me back. I have not heard anything. Anyone else here experience a similar issue, and if so what was done to rectify the problem?
My closest dealer is 100 miles away and I'm having a hard time with the idea of shipping the car to them as I can't part with it yet. Thank you in advance for any insight. Here she is stuck inside :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought John! Will have to find the fuse box. I have not read the owners manual since I got the car. I guess now's the time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If it was mine, I'd put up with the intermittent failure for a couple of weeks. You might find it fixes itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With such widely spaced dealers, I do wonder why they have not invested in a mobile diagnostic team that can come and plug in their computer and "see" the problem and if it is an easy fix such as a fuse or sensor do it there and then.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have gotten "maker sure toneau is empty" warning and a "toneau release switch failure". Neither affected the function. The dealer fixed the switch in a day. They did suggest that I take those bags out and keep the area free of anything. I had a detailer forget a micro fiber cloth in there and that caused a warning as well. I think that these cars are so over engineered with sensors that there is an error to the safe side with everything.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
They may have already mentioned it but, have you tried a push and hold reset? It's solved all sorts of problems over the months and years....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They may have already mentioned it but, have you tried a push and hold reset? It's solved all sorts of problems over the months and years....
Thank you all for the responses. I don't have anything under the tonneau cover. In fact I can't even get that to open.
Naranja what is the push and hold to reset function you have mentioned? The owners manual provided no help earlier today and their is no specific fuse that controls the roof!
I'd really like to take the car to dinner tonight as it is my birthday, don't want to leave it parked with roof down because of dirt/ bugs etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Or just leave the roof down ..... Most of my open cars I leave open 24/7 ...... If you have decent insect free garage parking then just wack over the dust covers and easy. ......... Yes the roof only takes 14seconds but when it's never up that's 14seconds saved !

Then take it to the dealers when you feel it's a good day to have that longer drive ... Give yourself a few short drives and you'll get that itch

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. I don't have anything under the tonneau cover. In fact I can't even get that to open.
Naranja what is the push and hold to reset function you have mentioned? The owners manual provided no help earlier today and their is no specific fuse that controls the roof!
I'd really like to take the car to dinner tonight as it is my birthday, don't want to leave it parked with roof down because of dirt/ bugs etc.
Replied to your pm, sorry for the delay.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Neelan. Hope you had a happy day!
Thank you John. I had a chance to drive the car on the twisty roads of East Texas for a bit and that's just plain good for the soul! Had to take the wife's SUV to dinner, that's less stressful anyway! Thanks for the well wishes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts