McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
with straight pipes on my GTR with no cats i saw almost 75whp documented.
so im not surprised at the outcome here.
With the straight pipes how was the smell/odor as well the sound coming off that GTR? The only reason for asking is I had heard and smelt a R8 recently with a similar setup and must admit both the smell and sound was a little to much for my liking. Undoubtedly the HP gain is formidable, yet the smell was the real killer no pun intended in the opting to go that route. Cheers.....??

·
Vendor
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have to say I am very, very skeptical of claimed 46 hp and 61 ft-lbs torque from different cats and no tune, I'd like to see it replicated with before and after dyno by an independent tester, as I have seen tests with no cats at all on turbo cars and not seen that kind of change. These kind of changes don't happen on GTRs, Evos, 335is, WRX's or any other turbo car test I have ever read - the big gains require upping boost and improved intercoolers at the very least.

I hope I am wrong and wonder if AWE would give money back to a buyer who does a dyno, installs, and does not see these published results with a post-installation dyno test?
I can understand your skepticism, that is a big claim we are making, and, as you mention, exceeds the improvements we have seen on other turbo charged cars when installing high flow catalysts.

However, careful, extensive testing was done to verify the gains, including very labor intensive same day testing in order minimize variables. Further, we were able to duplicate the results on another MP4-12C, so the first car was not a fluke. Both cars had the latest factory software updates, too, for what that's worth.

We even did incremental dyno testing to make sure the ECU was not adapting to the new exhaust flow and would begin dialing back boost, erasing the gains (it won't).

Not only did some independent McLaren "authorities" who have several thousand miles of seat time in the the MP4-12C confirm a tangible acceleration improvement (send me a PM for that referral), but Mac 1 here on the forum can out accelerate and pass a stock equipped MP4 on the track now that he has our Performance Catalysts on his car.

Bottom line: as with all our products, our new McLaren parts come with a money back guarantee if they do not perform as advertised.

·
Vendor
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm not sure I'm reading the chart right, but are we giving up a good bit of low end grunt for the increases in torque/hp at 5500rpm and higher?
There are gains in both Torque and Horsepower from adding the AWE Tuning MP4-12C Performance Catalysts that are seen across the powerband.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can understand your skepticism, that is a big claim we are making, and, as you mention, exceeds the improvements we have seen on other turbo charged cars when installing high flow catalysts.

However, careful, extensive testing was done to verify the gains, including very labor intensive same day testing in order minimize variables. Further, we were able to duplicate the results on another MP4-12C, so the first car was not a fluke. Both cars had the latest factory software updates, too, for what that's worth.

We even did incremental dyno testing to make sure the ECU was not adapting to the new exhaust flow and would begin dialing back boost, erasing the gains (it won't).

Not only did some independent McLaren "authorities" who have several thousand miles of seat time in the the MP4-12C confirm a tangible acceleration improvement (send me a PM for that referral), but Mac 1 here on the forum can out accelerate and pass a stock equipped MP4 on the track now that he has our Performance Catalysts on his car.

Bottom line: as with all our products, our new McLaren parts come with a money back guarantee if they do not perform as advertised.
100% correct.. my buddy also has a ethanol 600whp GTR w/semi slicks that used to give me a problem on the straights and now were neck and neck lap after lap. so far im very happy!:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Just to be clear Will,if I decide to go this route sometime,all I need for the extra performance are the replacement cats at $4995,all the other add-ons are for looks and sound,but with no increase in performance ?
Ps,i take it there would be a small sound difference anyway,but I want to keep the db down as many UK tracks have a sound limit.

·
Vendor
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Correct, Andy. The Performance Catalysts are what makes the power, but we do recommend adding our Exhaust at the same time to smooth out the exhaust note.

Here is a video for comparison between the AWE Tuning Catalysts with the McLaren Sport Exhaust and with the AWE Tuning Exhaust-

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Will,do you have db readings for each application,as a lot of Uk tracks have strict limits and its good to know what you are producing as their is no money back quarentee if you fail a track inspection !!

·
Vendor
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Thought you might like this early review of the AWE Tuning McLaren Performance Catalyst and Exhaust System. One of my favorite quotes, that I think some of you may enjoy, "...the addition of an extra 46hp and 61lb-ft will inevitably turn all McLaren 12C’s with AWE Tuning exhausts into true Lamborghini Aventador competitors..." More here: GTspirit.com

·
Registered
323 Posts
I took the spider out for a spin over the weekend and found myself directly behind a 458. We had a spirited run through some back roads and on to a bit of highway before pulling over into a coffee shop. He commented that he knew that the car was fast but didn't think it sounded that good. I have to say that I like the way Ferraris sound but my car with the AWE set up definitely gave the 458 guy something to think about. Moving side by side at high revs really gives you perspective on how good the 12C can sound next to a 458. At the same time I drove my car to the dealer for some new tread in the rain yesterday in N/N auto and I could barely tell that it had a sports exhaust. So the system works really well with the set up of the car depending on how you want to drive it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i agree 110%!!!
the ferrari guys at the track came up to me and said holy shit i didnt the mclaren sounded that good.. little did they know.. they had a challenge race car that had me in the turns, but i passed him on the straight, they were puzzled lol

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I took the spider out for a spin over the weekend and found myself directly behind a 458. We had a spirited run through some back roads and on to a bit of highway before pulling over into a coffee shop. He commented that he knew that the car was fast but didn't think it sounded that good. I have to say that I like the way Ferraris sound but my car with the AWE set up definitely gave the 458 guy something to think about. Moving side by side at high revs really gives you perspective on how good the 12C can sound next to a 458. At the same time I drove my car to the dealer for some new tread in the rain yesterday in N/N auto and I could barely tell that it had a sports exhaust. So the system works really well with the set up of the car depending on how you want to drive it.
Did you add the AWE setup to your car? What parts did you add?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts