McLaren Life banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's hard to imagine being able to improve a 12C. AWE has done just that though. Coming from the V12 Aston Martin, the one thing that I missed was an aggressive engine note. My Spider now has one. I find myself hunting tunnels. The car sounds mean and turns heads before I get there. You can definitely feel the extra ponies and torque. Acceleration was never a problem but now the car is even scarier. I would be shocked if the 0-62 is not < 3.

Besides the quality, dealing with AWE was a real pleasure. These guys are as car crazy as we are. Todd and the crew give you a great sense of confidence and you know your car is being well care for. It was a real pleasure.

Now all I need I need is the million people who have moved in to my neighborhood for the US open to leave so I can enjoy my driving.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I took the spider out for a spin over the weekend and found myself directly behind a 458. We had a spirited run through some back roads and on to a bit of highway before pulling over into a coffee shop. He commented that he knew that the car was fast but didn't think it sounded that good. I have to say that I like the way Ferraris sound but my car with the AWE set up definitely gave the 458 guy something to think about. Moving side by side at high revs really gives you perspective on how good the 12C can sound next to a 458. At the same time I drove my car to the dealer for some new tread in the rain yesterday in N/N auto and I could barely tell that it had a sports exhaust. So the system works really well with the set up of the car depending on how you want to drive it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When did you have it done, I thought they were waiting for cats to arrive so they can start building to ship, or was yours the spider they used to test fit.
I was the test fit. It was a great experience. They are really great people to deal with and the results are striking.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'll have to get the same setup as you...I'm guessing you got the catalyst and the exhaust package at $7,995?

I was looking at the CF tips but not too sure how they hold up to the heat. They tend to turn yellow. Can you tell me how it's held up for you guys, Will?
So far so good no issue with the color.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have to say that I have had the system for 2 months and it really is an amazing difference in terms if high rev engine note. The extra punch is a blast also. I have been totally satisfied with AWE.

·
Registered
323 Posts
my only "real world experience" was going down the straight at PBIR to 165mph next to a stock 12c. I pulled by about 2 cars, that was good enough for me lol
I was on the highway and came up on a 458. As he caught me in his rear view, he punched it. I dropped 2 gears and walked him. So you say that should happen anyway. Well here's the kicker, It was in June and I had snow tires on my car with the top down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.