McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spyder Dilema

I'm new here and now confused. I initially thought I would look for a new or slightly used 2012 coupe. I actually put a deposit down on a 12 coupe and was ready to purchase. The car was out of state and a member kindly went and looked at the car for me and I decided to back out for a variety of reasons. Since then I have had the chance to drive a spyder and a coupe back to back, both fantastic cars, and realized the experience is just enhanced with the top down. I previously considered the spider to be above my preset budget of 220k.
Since then I looked at the closest dealers website (100 miles away) and found 3 spyders that seemed to be sitting since January, April, and May. I just had a thought, why not wait a few months till winter kicks in, hoping the spyder prices would come down to hopefully 250k or so. If they don't at minimum I may have some luck with left over 2013 coupes. The more I learn about these cars my impression is the newer the car the less likely you are to have issues. No matter how minor the issues, when your closest dealer is 100 miles away, they can become a serious annoyance.
I guess I'm wondering if my thought process is reasonable? Am I just wasting time by waiting till winter and missing out on owning one of these incredible cars? Will spyder prices come down to a price point I can reasonably afford in the near and not too distant future? My preference would be to hold out for a spyder if possible.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
If you've driven both and the spider appeals to you a lot more than the coupe, you might be better off waiting. The depreciation curve on the 2012 coupes could well flatten out, so getting one now, and deciding next spring that you really want the spider might not net you too much of a loss, but you would be rolling the depreciation dice at that point.

I also think that McLaren got better at inventory control. It's been said on the forums before that the initial glut of cars (2012 coupes) sent to dealers created a supply that way overran demand. Given there are still new 2012 coupes available to purchase, that would seem to be the case. There were also a number of folks that did trade out of the coupe to get into the spider, further increasing supply.

So, if this is all true, it's possible, maybe probable, that the spiders will not have the same initial depreciation hit as the 2012 coupes did. Doing a quick search I see a few spiders in the 280's. Could they get to the 250's in the next six months? Maybe, but again, I think you'd be rolling the dice to some degree.

-nh4.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If u can wait, why not? Get the car u want. Or u will regret for settling.
Spring may be more expensive again but may be cheaper for older models. You just have to find the perfect time. Winter? Hehe
Good luck
Lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
There r used spiders now for 279k with 1300 miles.
U may be able to get a used 2013 for little less but doubt for 250k unless there r more miles on it.
Look around. I'd call the dealers. I don't think they list all inventory online.
Lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Agree with all the above. If you like the coupes, particularly the 2012 swipe coupes, you're wasting time as all the new ones or very low mileage ones are likely going to be gone very soon. And, the prices on them really have flattened, so you're talking about a minimal difference in price. I like the coupe's lines better, so for me, that was the case.

If you like the spider, which are awesome, you may get a dip, but I don't think because of winter per se. I think because the 2014s are coming out and they just may have to clear out the 2013s. That said, you're not going to see the 2012-like fall off. That was a one time glut created by over-zealous dealers putting in orders for more cars without backing demand and leading McLaren down the path. The 2013s pricing is pretty stable, and you're just not going to see that big a delta. But I could see a 20k off bump to clear out a few 2013s, and 20k is 20k... :)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Sell anything you dont use . Maybe buy a few classics ?
F40 , F50 , Enzo , 73 RS , 73 RSR , 935 etc ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When were the first spyders delivered to customers in the US?
Trying to get a handle on how long these cars have been in the dealers inventory.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
My dealer is 300 miles away and have not had one issue - warranty up in Feb, of 2015.

If there is an issue Mclaren Roadside will pay to have it towed to the closest dealer.

I knew this going and an expected a lot of issues - get the coupe they aren't dropping and when the Spider comes within reach swap it out if that's still what you prefer.

Don't wait - life is way too short!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My dealer is 300 miles away and have not had one issue - warranty up in Feb, of 2015.

If there is an issue Mclaren Roadside will pay to have it towed to the closest dealer.

I knew this going and an expected a lot of issues - get the coupe they aren't dropping and when the Spider comes within reach swap it out if that's still what you prefer.

Don't wait - life is way too short!

I tend to agree...
Life is short!
I hope to be posting delivery pics in the near future

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Prices always go down with time. How much? No idea.

What's the temperature like in Winter near you? If it's chilly or cold, and I know that can happen in Texas, then I'd just wait.
Dallas is a strange market! Too much money, always a buyer for anything, houses, cars etc. Economy, natural disasters, weather, war, no effect. I am open to shopping dealers up north where inventory may prove harder to move in the winter months. I have time on my side.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to school ... sort of at UT.

Son was down there this weekend watching his team Ole Miss.

Dallas dealer is top notch - good luck!
Thanks for the well wishes! "Sort of" went to UT? I'm guessing that didn't affect much as you drive a MP4!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes! "Sort of" went to UT? I'm guessing that didn't affect much as you drive a MP4!!!!
Not much - but can't say the same for a guy named Dell who owned a bar in Austin,

When we were packing up to go back home Dell had this idea to start a computer co.

Asking for a 20k buy in that I had at the time - but thought ill of his concept to out perform the market by building and selling inventory before prices slid with sales coming from direct marketing,

Which would allow his sales team to upgrade / up sell customers :confused:

Only one guy out of our group still has the stock and last I heard it was worth 3-4 million.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Not much - but can't say the same for a guy named Dell who owned a bar in Austin,

When we were packing up to go back home Dell had this idea to start a computer co.

Asking for a 20k buy in that I had at the time - but thought ill of his concept to out perform the market by building and selling inventory before prices slid with sales coming from direct marketing,

Only one guy out of our group still has the stock and last I heard it was worth 3-4 million.
I spend almost as much time looking at investment stuff as I do car stuff. I've missed a fair number of opportunities that I've really kicked myself for. I feel your pain to some degree, but, wow... Ouch!

-nh4.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Great story! I have a friend that lives down the road from Dell. Can hear his Carrera GT from time to time.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I spend almost as much time looking at investment stuff as I do car stuff. I've missed a fair number of opportunities that I've really kicked myself for. I feel your pain to some degree, but, wow... Ouch!

-nh4.
haha ... it would have been easy come easy go money. :rolleyes:

Neelan he has some serious toys and hobbies.

·
Registered
209 Posts

What do you mean "owned a bar?" Micheal Dell? He didn't own a bar, he wasn't even old enough to drink for another three years after he started his company. Glad I got in in 1992, but 1984 would have been better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts