McLaren Life banner

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
How would they be equal on power when the GTR makes over 800 hp? And has active aero to reduce drag on straights. In straightline performance, it won't be close. Everywhere else is debatable, but I have a hard time seeing the 650S GT3 match the Senna

·
Registered
49 Posts
How would they be equal on power when the GTR makes over 800 hp? And has active aero to reduce drag on straights. In straightline performance, it won't be close. Everywhere else is debatable, but I have a hard time seeing the 650S GT3 match the Senna
Sorry should have clarified unrestricted (no BOP or engine detuned) GT3 vs Senna GTR (which could be described as such)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Sorry should have clarified unrestricted (no BOP or engine detuned) GT3 vs Senna GTR (which could be described as such)
An unrestricted 3.8 liter isn't going to make the power of a GTR. An unrestricted no BOP 650S isn't even going to make what a 720S does

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
They got 767 out of it for the p1....
When I'm saying unrestricted, I'm referring to no ecu flash or change in engine components (removal of whatever limits power to 500 hp). If you're referring to the "other" unrestricted, then you might as well say that 2000 hp is the limit

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
When I'm saying unrestricted, I'm referring to no ecu flash or change in engine components (removal of whatever limits power to 500 hp). If you're referring to the "other" unrestricted, then you might as well say that 2000 hp is the limit
sure.. but obviously the engine produces much more in its production state.. it’s restricted for racing, so removing those restrictions is not unreasonable

the 650 gt3 has very fat front tyres, which helps it through the corners obv.. thats’ why its way down the road from a road senna and probably a reasonable match for a senna GTR when the engine is allowed to at least breathe properly..

the senna GTR probably has over 100 bhp more.. which will only help in small sections of any track... the cornering speed And grip will make a bigger difference than the extra straight line speed.. admittedly the DRS system will help a great deal though

ive seen my own 650 gt3 do a lap of spa in 2.14 but still restricted... the road senna is 2.24.. which is still very quick for a road car, but whether the GTR is ten seconds quicker than the road car, don’t know.. possibly.. it at least has proper race car suspension, unlike the P1 GTR

ironically the driver in my GT3 and the road going senna was the same, so we can take out that variance..

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
sure.. but obviously the engine produces much more in its production state.. it’s restricted for racing, so removing those restrictions is not unreasonable

the 650 gt3 has very fat front tyres, which helps it through the corners obv.. thats’ why its way down the road from a road senna and probably a reasonable match for a senna GTR when the engine is allowed to at least breathe properly..

the senna GTR probably has over 100 bhp more.. which will only help in small sections of any track... the cornering speed And grip will make a bigger difference than the extra straight line speed.. admittedly the DRS system will help a great deal though

ive seen my own 650 gt3 do a lap of spa in 2.14 but still restricted... the road senna is 2.24.. which is still very quick for a road car, but whether the GTR is ten seconds quicker than the road car, don’t know.. possibly.. it at least has proper race car suspension, unlike the P1 GTR

ironically the driver in my GT3 and the road going senna was the same, so we can take out that variance..
I believe the Senna GTR uses the same tire size as the 720S GT3. It also uses 720S GT3 suspension, which should be an improvement over the 650S GT3 suspension. The Senna GTR also has larger brakes than the 720S GT3. McLaren states that the Senna GTR is several seconds faster than the 720S GT3, and that's with a safe setup for most customers

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I believe the Senna GTR uses the same tire size as the 720S GT3. It also uses 720S GT3 suspension, which should be an improvement over the 650S GT3 suspension. The Senna GTR also has larger brakes than the 720S GT3. McLaren states that the Senna GTR is several seconds faster than the 720S GT3, and that's with a safe setup for most customers
Nope 285 front in the Senna GTR only but 325 in the race car.

And the 'several seconds faster' would be vs a power restricted gt3.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Nope 285 front in the Senna GTR only but 325 in the race car.

And the 'several seconds faster' would be vs a power restricted gt3.
This is the valid point,... the 12C gt3 had narrower front tyres and went for greater straight line performance.. this wasnt particularly effective which is why the 650 had, amongst other things, fatter front tyres..

in theory, the Senna GTR should be a great deal faster, according to all our basic understandIng of what is important.. power weight downforce etc... in practice it doesn’t appear to be a huge gulf... i saw some data somewhere on the net where Rob Bell had driven both 720 gt3 and senna gtr back to back and the difference was not huge... that may well have been with the 720 somewhat unrestricted though

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, was more a question about whether the gtr woudl be 10 seconds quicker than the road car... quite possibly i agree...
I was told that Rob Bell did a 2.13+ at Spa last year in a development Senna GTR; this would be 10+ / 11 s faster than Duncan in the road going Senna, so it sounds about right... In Bahrain I was 5 second faster in the GTR than Duncan in the road Senna, in my first evening out on track. Could Duncan be 5 sec faster than me, in the GTR? Quite possibly ;-)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I was told that Rob Bell did a 2.13+ at Spa last year in a development Senna GTR; this would be 10+ / 11 s faster than Duncan in the road going Senna, so it sounds about right... In Bahrain I was 5 second faster in the GTR than Duncan in the road Senna, in my first evening out on track. Could Duncan be 5 sec faster than me, in the GTR? Quite possibly ;-)
yes makes sense ! and good job on your first outing!!

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
its not a customer car
But it is a Speedtail, is it me, or does this thread seem to have strayed somewhat off topic?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
But it is a Speedtail, is it me, or does this thread seem to have strayed somewhat off topic?
well there is not much new info about the car online and most deliveries are kept under the radar ... additionally you won’t see the Speedtail break and track records or ppl using them in drag races and so on ... the GT section is also not really crowded ...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm surprised this has not been posted. From a week ago. The first delivered customer car, delivered through McLaren Brussels by the looks of it.

http://instagr.am/p/B9wlXltJ37Q/
I honestly don't think many people really find the Speedtail or Elva to be terribly special. They have no buzz, no excitement around them that I'm aware of. The uber exclusive/expensive car game has moved on. Valkyrie-level stuff or meh.

1161 - 1180 of 1180 Posts