McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Very excited to see how this car turns out. All 106 are spoken for and MSO will work with each customer to ensure that every car has an individual touch. The values of these things will go through the roof.

So we know it's going to be a 'Hyper GT', so we can expect the interior to be very luxury. It's going to be a hybrid. Any word on the engine yet? I do hope they use something bespoke for and special for this model.

Anyone placed an order on here?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We knew it was coming but it's always fantastic to get official confirmation! Looking forward to it.

Next question: will it be named the F1???

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sounds like an exciting car. I like the idea of a hyper car that is aimed at the road. Should have exquisite detailing for that kind of money and if it really can recreate the F1 then that will really be something. I think the only way to buy one of these (not that I would be able to anyway) is to buy it to use it. Because at that money, in two or three years time, it might not be an automatic appreciater.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like an exciting car. I like the idea of a hyper car that is aimed at the road. Should have exquisite detailing for that kind of money and if it really can recreate the F1 then that will really be something. I think the only way to buy one of these (not that I would be able to anyway) is to buy it to use it. Because at that money, in two or three years time, it might not be an automatic appreciater.
unless they put a mclaren built na v12 in it with hybrid power...

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
106 to be made apparently, seen everday usability mentioned in relation to this so where's it going to be road legal? Have they found a way around crash regs?
It will be road legal everywhere. The only place crash regs should pose an issue will be in the USA where our ridiculously outdated, unbelted occupant crash test poses the biggest challenge. Instead of trying to modify the design to conform to that specific requirement, my understanding is that these cars will instead be entered into the USA under 'Show or Display', thus eliminating the need to comply. This will limit the car's use to 2,500 miles per year here, but I think that would hardly be a concern for most customers.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats to all the lucky 106 souls who made the cut. Did ownership of a F1 and a P1 give the owner an automatic build slot with the rest going to select P1 owners? I'm guessing anyone who got a build slot had to sign a NDA?

·
Craig
26 Posts
It will be road legal everywhere. The only place crash regs should pose an issue will be in the USA where our ridiculously outdated, unbelted occupant crash test poses the biggest challenge. Instead of trying to modify the design to conform to that specific requirement, my understanding is that these cars will instead be entered into the USA under 'Show or Display', thus eliminating the need to comply. This will limit the car's use to 2,500 miles per year here, but I think that would hardly be a concern for most customers.

>8^)
ER
Show or Display would only be granted after the entire production run of cars has completed though...US customers would therefore need to buy an EU spec car and privately import them I suppose.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
So.. how is this different from a very limited edition Ferrari/Porsche that's instantly sold out once before being officially announced - something that most people here I think have tended to take a fairly dim view of....?

·
Registered
683 Posts
So.. how is this different from a very limited edition Ferrari/Porsche that's instantly sold out once before being officially announced - something that most people here I think have tended to take a fairly dim view of....?
not different at all. LaFerari Aperta was sold before it was announced, the US only F60 likewise, The specialeA, tdf etc etc where all soldout long before they were announced. i'm not sure i see the problem. The factory knows who they want to sell the cars to, and are in my mind free to sell it whomever they want. They are after all profit seeking companies

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
not different at all. LaFerari Aperta was sold before it was announced, the US only F60 likewise, The specialeA, tdf etc etc where all soldout long before they were announced. i'm not sure i see the problem. The factory knows who they want to sell the cars to, and are in my mind free to sell it whomever they want. They are after all profit seeking companies
I don't disagree with you per above. I do however recall usually quite a few here had expressed a certain dis-satisfaction with the way Ferrari/Porsche limit supply to create an instant overs market to reward their favoured customers and/or make people try to buy more of the mass market models to try to get on the limited edition ladder....

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I think some of the people who took a dim view of that are those who thought they should have gotten one and were not invited to do so. There's really no way to avoid having a few unhappy folks in these very limited situations as there will always be people on the edge who deserve one but can't get one.

In the case of Ferrari... I tried to buy a LaFerrari but, having owned only 3 Ferraris up to that point, I clearly didn't rate for one. I was disappointed I didn't get one but fully understood them being loyal to their more loyal customers and that's the way it should be.

I think where people don't like the Ferrari game is when they have to trade a valuable Ferrari (below market value so the dealer can make some profit) or buy a less-popular Ferrari to leap-frog someone on the list to be able to buy a new popular regular-series production car (458, 488, Speciale etc.) while there is still some profit to be made flipping it. I remember my first drive in my 458 Spider thinking "wow, I could sell this $337K car for $380K right now!" - of course I didn't do that and when I finally sold it I think I got $285K for it with just over 6,000 miles on it.

Once those flipper profits periods are gone the games go away and they're happy to sell you a depreciating asset just like any other car dealer. To be perfectly honest if Ferrari dealers didn't do this they'd be nothing more than glorified order takers for people pursuing profits flipping cars to more populated markets where supply can't meet demand. They need inventory of used Ferraris, and service customers, to make a decent profit so if they don't hook people on the line they have empty showrooms and empty service bays. I had to buy an FF to get my 458 Spider in the timeframe when I still would consider it a new and sexy car. I didn't mind actually because I using the FF more once I got a McLaren 12C Spider. In fact I sold the 458 Spider but still have the FF.

1 - 20 of 1180 Posts