McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Anyone had trouble clearing the bottom of the car with the lift system? Do you plan your route to avoid them? ^^

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hello!

Anyone had trouble clearing the bottom of the car with the lift system? Do you plan your route to avoid them? ^^
I would say avoid speed bumps at all costs or if need be take them on a angle. It's to bad that they don't have standards for these freaking speed bumps, some are okay and then some are just to big and low and behold you bottom out. I have yet to experience that with the Mac but my C5 it's occurred several times. Cheers....??

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Never had a problem clearing speed bumps without the system,it wasnt available when i got mine!:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
thanx, do you have a special technique you can share?
We have found that if is a high bump then put the car into track mode ,this stiffens the car and helps it over the bump ,if you have the lift then no one has said they have had any problems

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have heard there are skid plates available for the 12C. If you don't want the extra weight of the lift added, you might check into the plates.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Apart from the blocks in front of the wheels my car clears the UK bumps easier than my Porsche did!!
The front lip used to hit them on the Porsche and I found taking them a 45degree helped clear them, I tend to do this with the Mac after the first few grinding on the blocks scared the life out of me.!!!:eek:

I find it more worrying how the blocks can hit the road surface when making progress over less even but more interesting surfaces ;)

I'm planning on getting up to Yorkshire to have another run on the Buttertub pass and see what remains of the blocks after that!!:( -it's worth it though :D

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
I do have to go really slowly over some bumps around here, but do NOT have the lift and it has always clears ok, though sometimes touches. Surely WITH the lift there will be absolutely no problem. I asked to get the lift on my car but it wasn't in production so had to do without.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I usually go over speed bumps at an angle, some really big speed bumps here. 2 were put into my Mom's neighborhood to slow the kids down, really pissed off everyone.

I usually go up driveway entrances to businesses just fine in my other cars, but I always make sure to back out of them at an angle. Going nose first is really risky with the big front bumper overhangs of most of my cars.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Anyone have any photos of their car up on a lift with the skid plates installed?

Autogallery says $1200 installed. How many owner's have installed skid plates?

I found it:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/m...-12c-will-here-next-week-protective-film.html

Those really don't look they help that much, especially since they don't cover those complete sections under the front bumper?
The link you provided does not work for me, comes up with some invalid thread id is 12. That said, I did a search and came up with this skid plate from Newport Beach, not something I would want to have on my car, I don't mind the clear side markers though. Cheers....??

http://www.mclarennb.com/Skid-Plates.html

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The link you provided does not work for me, comes up with some invalid thread id is 12. That said, I did a search and came up with this skid plate from Newport Beach, not something I would want to have on my car, I don't mind the clear side markers though. Cheers....����

http://www.mclarennb.com/Skid-Plates.html
Killer, thanks! Heard from Senna at Newport Beach they are $600 installed. AutoGallery quoted me $1200! :(

What are you drinking today? ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Killer, thanks! Heard from Senna at Newport Beach they are $600 installed. AutoGallery quoted me $1200! :(

What are you drinking today? ;)
Off of the norm, I'm having a double espresso☕☕,with a side order of Poli muscato grappa. Thanks for asking. Cincin.....??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Why bother with the skid plates? They hang off the bottom an extra 1/2inch, that means an extra 1/2inch of clearance that you don't have.

Stock, the clearance is borderline fine, especially the stock front lip, the trouble spot is always the 2 rubber blocks in front and behind the front wheels.

The MSO bumper without the upward angle slope will be a different story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts