McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a buyer looking now, you've obviously got a progression on the market in minor details from the earliest cars to the more recent, my question relates to the changes over time.

Since the introduction of the coupe, what sort of things would you be missing out on if you now bought an early car for example? The obvious one is the '2013 upgrade', from when did that apply, and what exactly does it contain? Do older cars have that, or is it something you need to check specifically and/or pay for if it doesn't have?

What other significant things have changed in the time; build quality? technology features? nav software?

(Is there an existing list of the changes somewhere here I've missed?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Older cars get the 2013 HP/suspension/throttle response software updates for free. All cars should have them by now.

The only thing I can think of that's not available on older cars is the front lift option.

Also, you still get the door swipe on 2012s and older, which is replaced by the button on newer cars. Personally, I think that's a downgrade, but YMMV.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
For a buyer looking now, you've obviously got a progression on the market in minor details from the earliest cars to the more recent, my question relates to the changes over time.

Since the introduction of the coupe, what sort of things would you be missing out on if you now bought an early car for example? The obvious one is the '2013 upgrade', from when did that apply, and what exactly does it contain? Do older cars have that, or is it something you need to check specifically and/or pay for if it doesn't have?

What other significant things have changed in the time; build quality? technology features? nav software?

(Is there an existing list of the changes somewhere here I've missed?)

Thanks!
The only real difference is the loss of swipe and the introduction of the door button,everything else has been upgraded for free,except the new Iris2 that has to be paid for,but from a drivetrain and engine point of view all cars are identical.As cars go in for service they have a service campaign to get the lastest updates.
As for the older cars any problems are brought up to date,it has been said that as they have more experience with the build, the newer cars are better quality,but that's mostly the door action I think,and the old cars still have the advantage of the swipe,which we all agree will become a collectors item in the next century ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only real difference is the loss of swipe and the introduction of the door button,everything else has been upgraded for free,except the new Iris2 that has to be paid for,but from a drivetrain and engine point of view all cars are identical.As cars go in for service they have a service campaign to get the lastest updates.
As for the older cars any problems are brought up to date,it has been said that as they have more experience with the build, the newer cars are better quality,but that's mostly the door action I think,and the old cars still have the advantage of the swipe,which we all agree will become a collectors item in the next century ;)
I think swipe is rather indifferent, fun to have it, probably better off without, but either way no huge issue.

What does Iris2 change? From when was it the normal spec? Is there a problem by not having it, or is it a must-pay-for upgrade?

Any particular build issues or known build numbers when a major change was made?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There is no particular range. There is a general feel that later builds seem to have fewer issues. I suppose if you're picking an arbitrary number, builds 1500 and later are considered later builds that were built past most of the issues, but there really is no bright line.

IRIS 2 is a must pay upgrade. 2014s get it as standard. Everyone else must pay about 2500. Price will go up to 7k for the upgrade after the new year from the rumor mill.

The old IRIS is buggy, has problems with bluetooth quality. But is largely serviceable for most. But it's considered to be a buggfest. The new system is basically a big android phone and has more features, fixes a ton of the problems, and may have the ability to run other android apps in the future. This link should give you feel:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/3457-new-android-iris.html

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no particular range. There is a general feel that later builds seem to have fewer issues. I suppose if you're picking an arbitrary number, builds 1500 and later are considered later builds that were built past most of the issues, but there really is no bright line.

IRIS 2 is a must pay upgrade. 2014s get it as standard. Everyone else must pay about 2500. Price will go up to 7k for the upgrade after the new year from the rumor mill.

The old IRIS is buggy, has problems with bluetooth quality. But is largely serviceable for most. But it's considered to be a buggfest. The new system is basically a big android phone and has more features, fixes a ton of the problems, and may have the ability to run other android apps in the future. This link should give you feel:

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/3457-new-android-iris.html
Thanks for the link, sorry for all the very beginner questions. Sounds like £2,500 is doable but £7,000 can't be justified for any upgrade; doesn't give people long until the end of the year!

I imagine even at £2,500 not many older cars will have it done, that's a higher cost than most companies seem to even charge for their nav at all; is it a total hardware out swap?

Can it be assumed that most 2012 cars would be a safe bet?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the link, sorry for all the very beginner questions. Sounds like £2,500 is doable but £7,000 can't be justified for any upgrade; doesn't give people long until the end of the year!

I imagine even at £2,500 not many older cars will have it done, that's a higher cost than most companies seem to even charge for their nav at all; is it a total hardware out swap?

Can it be assumed that most 2012 cars would be a safe bet?
I bought a 2012 coupe last month that has the upgrades and the swipe doors. I will not be upgrading the iris system as the version I have does actually work sufficiently well for my needs.
My car is Volcano Orange and I think there has been a change in paint supplier from the very early cars but I could be wrong. I would say that most 2012 cars are a safe bet. I also agree with AndyC that the swipe doors are a great feature and am glad my car has them.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
2012MY spanned a lot of time. Early 2011 all the way through late 2012. 2013MY are pretty safe bet.

Easiest thing to do is ask for the VIN (which is in series, last digits tell you what build it is). If the build is over 1500, you're likely to be pretty safe. Say earlier than 900 or so, you'd want to have the car thoroughly inspected and make sure you get the warranty extension.

NP re the questions. All good questions! Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Yes it can be assumed,only a handful of cars that have had big problems,and then the warrenty comes into play.This can also be extended on Mclaren approved cars,ie those bought through a dealership.In essence German quality not Italian imo

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2012MY spanned a lot of time. Early 2011 all the way through late 2012. 2013MY are pretty safe bet.

Easiest thing to do is ask for the VIN (which is in series, last digits tell you what build it is). If the build is over 1500, you're likely to be pretty safe. Say earlier than 900 or so, you'd want to have the car thoroughly inspected and make sure you get the warranty extension.
Ok good to know, will try to ignore the MY and look at the build year/number if I can find it. Obviously when you're looking at the market you can only see the registration year, not the MY before calling everyone.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Based on my R8 V10 ownership, Germany quality doesn't mean too much! The thing feels about as Italian in quality as its engine-sharing sibling.
Hi Shmee. I'm not in the market for a 12c just yet but an R8 was on the cards. Do you think I should just wait? I always thought that from your videos you were abig fan of it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Shmee. I'm not in the market for a 12c just yet but an R8 was on the cards. Do you think I should just wait? I always thought that from your videos you were abig fan of it.
I've been a very big fan of it, 20,000 miles in the last year alone, but it's been in for minor hickups quite a few times. To be honest any car used this much goes wrong but Audi customer service is appalling, the upshot is that both of my last services were on the house following their mistakes. I'd like to think my car is now fully fixed though; no problems in the last 6 months!

Unfortunately for me my nearest McLaren service centre is Sevenoaks; which is shared with Aston, and following the rudeness of someone who claimed to be the Manager there to me on a previous visit with my Vantage I'll be doing anything I can to take a 12C to somewhere else. Is it the norm to be frustrated with service centres too for McLaren owners as any other brand? (Do they read these forums by the way?)

Is there anybody out there who does big mileage on their cars? I'd expect to put close to 20,000 in a year if I did make the jump.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Tim,

Take a look at this thread as well. There was a bit of a discussion on what's been seen with the older cars, and some general things to look out for.

http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/3474-new-used.html

I'm not an owner but I do keep a pretty good eye on the forum here looking to see what owners are saying, particularly problems, as I do hope to one day own one. Overall the consensus is very positive.

If you are thinking of getting a pre-owned one, check out the CPO details (http://www.mclarenqualified.com/) and if you don't go through a dealer, you can take a car to one and ask that they run through all the checks they would do to mark a car as eligible for the McLaren Qualified program. It would likely cost you to do this, but at least you'd have the peace of mind it was good in McLaren's book.

Happy Hunting!

-Jamie.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are thinking of getting a pre-owned one, check out the CPO details (http://www.mclarenqualified.com/) and if you don't go through a dealer, you can take a car to one and ask that they run through all the checks they would do to mark a car as eligible for the McLaren Qualified program. It would likely cost you to do this, but at least you'd have the peace of mind it was good in McLaren's book.
Thanks Jamie, I am currently looking in the Qualified program, I'm assuming there are a lot of cars in this than advertised online; right now it looks like just 3 in the UK! Is there a trick to seeing them? I'm not one for wasting a salesman's time until I'm ready to put down my money.

Regarding the front lift, how low do we think the front is? I've own the R8 Spyder and V8 Vantage but obviously not had problems with either on the speed bumps around me in London, I'm assuming the 12C can't be any worse really or is it a non-stop scraping festival?

Definitely already considering discussing the hardware upgrade, I would definitely want the new system as a gadget obsessive, but not for £7k!

I note the older cars have softer paint, but I'm expecting to be wrapped from week 1 so it's not so much of a problem.

It's sounding like a mid-2012 from 1500 on is the car to buy!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Unfortunately for me my nearest McLaren service centre is Sevenoaks; which is shared with Aston, and following the rudeness of someone who claimed to be the Manager there to me on a previous visit with my Vantage I'll be doing anything I can to take a 12C to somewhere else. Is it the norm to be frustrated with service centres too for McLaren owners as any other brand? (Do they rude these forums by the way?)

Is there anybody out there who does big mileage on their cars? I'd expect to put close to 20,000 in a year if I did make the jump.
The US dealer experience has been pretty good from what I've gathered. I'm sure some of the guys with the cars will comment as well. Being in the US, I haven't kept up on the sentiment towards the UK dealers, but I think it is also pretty positive.

It really does suck when someone at a dealership makes such a bad impression that impacts your feeling on the brand itself. I've had that with the semi-local Ferrari dealer and got burned by being honest at a non-McLaren dealership that happened to have a 12c I was looking at.

As for high mile users, there definitely are some guys getting their odometers up there and many that use the car as a daily driver.

-Jamie.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Thanks Jamie, I am currently looking in the Qualified program, I'm assuming there are a lot of cars in this than advertised online; right now it looks like just 3 in the UK! Is there a trick to seeing them? I'm not one for wasting a salesman's time until I'm ready to put down my money.

Regarding the front lift, how low do we think the front is? I've own the R8 Spyder and V8 Vantage but obviously not had problems with either on the speed bumps around me in London, I'm assuming the 12C can't be any worse really or is it a non-stop scraping festival?

Definitely already considering discussing the hardware upgrade, I would definitely want the new system as a gadget obsessive, but not for £7k!

I note the older cars have softer paint, but I'm expecting to be wrapped from week 1 so it's not so much of a problem.

It's sounding like a mid-2012 from 1500 on is the car to buy!
In the States the dealers are terrible about updating their McQualified cars on the McQualified site... From what you're seeing, I'm guessing it's the same in the UK. I keep an eye directly on the dealer's inventory page. I would say if you find a few potential cars, ping the dealer and ask, it's likely the quickest way.

I'm not sure on the front lift bit, but I think the front end low point (a diffuser in front of the front wheels) was 5" off the ground... I'll see if I can dig up that number, I think I have it somewhere.

As a fellow gadget junkie, I have to admit I would also want the new Infotainment / Nav... As you likely saw in John's thread, the new one is Parrot riding on Android, so it makes for a (potentially) very flexible platform.

-Jamie.

·
Owner
893 Posts
......If you are thinking of getting a pre-owned one, check out the CPO details (http://www.mclarenqualified.com/) and if you don't go through a dealer, you can take a car to one and ask that they run through all the checks they would do to mark a car as eligible for the McLaren Qualified program. It would likely cost you to do this, but at least you'd have the peace of mind it was good in McLaren's book.

Happy Hunting!

-Jamie.
NH4,
I do believe the CPO programs are designed to steer customers to authorized dealerships and they are the ones who will then sell you the CPO car. I never heard of taking a car from XXX motors, getting an authorized dealer to check it, and then having XXX motors make the actual sale.
The idea with CPO programs is to cut out 3rd party dealerships from the equation.

shmee150:
For what it's worth, I own a 2013 model year car and had a number of issues; so, it was not only early 2012 cars that had some problems. I think you should keep in mind that once the warranty has expired, parts will be way more costly than the R8 because McLaren drastically raised parts prices in early 2013, for some odd reason.:(

1 - 20 of 79 Posts