McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure how we've overlooked this one - maybe I missed the mention somewhere? For the record, I do try to pay attention... ;)

Some photos have begun to surface earlier in the month of McLaren Special Operations' new 12C development/show car. It features a full carbon fiber roof, hood, vented front fenders, air brake, rear deck panel, exhaust vent panel, rear diffuser, engine cover vents and guide vanes. The front bumper is also the familiar MSO piece with a unique paint treatment. The interior is loaded up with MSO tweaks as one would expect.

The most interesting part is that the roof scoop is functional and feeds the airbox/s and then direct to the turbos which changes the sound transferred inside the car for the better according to one source. No idea on the price tag for something like that - I really wouldn't want to ask... :eek:

Here's a photo of it on the move from Raphaël Belly Photography. See his page for a larger version.

Additional images of it parked at a hotel in Barcelona can be found here on these two pages at Autogespot:

http://www.autogespot.com/mclaren-12c/2013/11/11#img1

http://www.autogespot.com/mclaren-12c-1/2013/11/10#img1

Probably important to mention that this isn't the much talked about 12C S (...if that's what the new model will be called?) but could give some indication that we'll see an active roof scoop on that model.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I should add before anyone gets too excited - the carbon roof and integrated scoop are not something the dealer can install - the car would need a trip back to the MSO facility if someone wanted to add this to their 12C.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
That does look good Erik,and with it being functional as well it has to one of the best MSO options for a new spec car.But I do sometimes wonder if they are doing it for the fun of being able to !! I say this because ive now asked for an MSO catalogue,paper or electronic on a number of occasions and I doubt I will get one,and if they don't want me to have one,who is getting them.C,mon McLaren this is were your sales/PR is letting you down again,its easy money if customers only know about it !!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I like that the scoop doesn't have a channel running all the way into the engine bay and thus doesn't completely trash rearward visibility.

One of the pics from the link Erik shared above:

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Where is that duct leading?
Ha! Good timing, I just posted a similar thing... If it just empties into the top of the engine bay I bet it would make for a messy engine after a bit, particularly after driving in the rain.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is some really cool stuff going on here. Im not sure about the wheel finish though. I'd like to see it in person. Is there any interior shots? Does anybody else see a different front badge? It almost looks like the work McLaren and the tic symbol together as it is on the rear under the air brake.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha! Good timing, I just posted a similar thing... If it just empties into the top of the engine bay I bet it would make for a messy engine after a bit, particularly after driving in the rain.

-Jamie.
Definitely not emptying right into the engine bay - I believe the magic is happening under the carbon engine bay panels. Said to feed "active airbox" according to one source.

Jaymoney - that's the Heritage badge on the nose, mimicking the one that they fitted to the F1s many years ago. Reported to be available once you spend $50K in MSO-sourced options. There don't appear to be any great shots of the interior yet, but I will share them if I find something.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
That's the first picture I have seen of the titanium oil cap and water cap,very tactile,but quite heavy.But as I said to Markj a few months ago,there is no way you can NOT get it screwed in properly ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
The louvers don't do it for me either. They look like an afterthought, stuck-on. The roof scoop does look cool. It changes the whole look of the car. I would probably only do the roof and front bumper.
Any ideas as to cost??

·
Registered
418 Posts
The louvers don't do it for me either. They look like an afterthought, stuck-on. The roof scoop does look cool. It changes the whole look of the car. I would probably only do the roof and front bumper.
Any ideas as to cost??
Same here, the roof and the front bumper (which should have been standard in the first place).

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anybody else see a different front badge? It almost looks like the work McLaren and the tic symbol together as it is on the rear under the air brake.
Didn't have access to it earlier, but this is a closeup of that nose badge with carbon inlay:

Here's the similar nose badge from the F1:

McLaren Cars as it was known originally never utilized the tick logo/speed mark in their promotional materials.

>8^)
ER

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So it didn't take long for this thread to get "noticed" and now I am back with some better information.

The roof scoop (check that, I am told the proper term would be "snorkel") we see here is fitted to McLaren's test car and that testing is being done for a new bespoke project they are working on for one particular customer. According to my new source, this will not end up being a regular option from MSO they will retrofit to any car, so gentlemen, I am sorry for the false alarm but you can put away your checkbooks unless a similar bespoke project is something you'd be interested in funding.

A couple of more things that were mentioned - Special Operations has released a library of images and a price list for all of the non-standard options they have created and it should be readily available through each and every McLaren Automotive retailer around the world. If you are interested in any of the items you have seen, or just want to see what is on offer, then an inquiry to your dealership should be all that it takes to get that ball rolling. If you encounter any difficulties I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Additionally in 2014 they plan to expand the marketing efforts specific to MSO so we should start to see more product literature and more dialogue on all that they can accomplish. Very much looking forward to that. :cool:

One last thing, the nose badge I shared above is not quite correct for the one that is on this particular car. I was told we'll have to wait for a better closeup image which will be forthcoming.

>8^)
ER

1 - 20 of 35 Posts