McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched youtube and all around looking for a sound clip of a 12c with Catless Downpipes coupled with the factory non sport rear section. Any of you guys have a clip or a link?

Seems most of the power is picked up in the downpipes. Im about to start my build and unless there are big gains i wasnt going to spend 3 to 5 k for a rear section when i can get new intercoolers that will make a way bigger difference for that money..... Im not keen on the car being extremely loud anyway.

Thanks in advance for any info !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems most of the power is picked up in the downpipes. Im about to start my build and unless there are big gains i wasnt going to spend 3 to 5 k for a rear section when i can get new intercoolers that will make a way bigger difference for that money..... Im not keen on the car being extremely loud anyway.

Agree 👍🏻.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good plan. I'd gladly trade my sport rear section for an aftermarket muffled section. I'll do that or I'll be modding my sport rear with fabbed resonators.

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
FWIW, my Larini sport-cat downpipes coupled with the factory sport exhaust (which is only different in material from the standard exhaust on the 12C coupe) is 95-96 dB at cold-start and at 3k RPM, measured ~3 feet from the exhaust exit. No idea what the stock exhaust is, but a free iPhone app will tell you for a point of comparison.

And no, there is virtually no HP gain and apparently a sizable TQ loss by changing the rear section. See the video description below.

·
Sponsor
1,338 Posts
HI Guys
Its Joe Fabiani the president of Fabspeed Motorsport USA. I have owned several of these cars and our team at Fabspeed has dyno and street and race track developed many versions of catless and catted systems for all these cars since 2011 when we received the 1st Mclaren Mp4 in North America. Can you believe it the cars have been out for almost 10 years.

Here is the inside scoop on Mclaren with Catalytic converters and catless. We have run everything on the Dyno, Race track and everywhere worldwide. I currently own a 2014 Mp4 spider and have had a 570S. If any of you guys / gals want to cruise by Fabspeed we have so many happy delighted customers I can easily get any Mclaren with our systems for you to sample on site or drive my car and Ill give you a tour of our facility.

Any Mclaren IMHO should have a set of HJS German extra large HD 200 cell tri-metallic sports racing catalytic converters. HJS German catalytic converters are simple bolt-on system parts that compliment any OEM rear Mclaren exhaust system. The factory system has 4 restrictive catalytic converters from Emitec a tier 1 exhaust supplier. The HJS HD catalytic converters are Emitec cores with proprietary precious metal wash coat on a 200 cell trimetallic core. You 100% will not get a Check Engine Light with genuine HJS Emissions technology
Katalysator. The HJS catalytic converters Fabspeed uses on any and all Mclaren car applications are the very largest that will fit on the chassis.

WHY? the largest possible HJS catalytic converter gives incredible surface area to scrub the exhaust and eliminate P420/P430 codes. No Check engine lights and no tune required and maximum durability in street and race applications with NO SMELL and you can pass all emissions tests. The Fabspeed Mclaren cats flow 90% to 92% of a straight pipe and give all the power in fact more power than any catbypass pipe with no drone. Its a win win for all Mclaren car enthusiasts and the environment. You get all the power and enhanced sports car sound with no drone on any and all Mclaren cars Coupes and Spiders and at trade in time the dealer has a car that will pass emissions tests.

If you want more sports car sound and Turbo whistling but will 100% have a Check Engine light and less power ..............that catless may work for you. We tried aftermarket turbos and all kinds of stuff these cars like a well design ultra highflow catalytic converter and there is ZERO advantage "other than saving a few bucks" by going catless.

Here is another distinct advantage of Fabspeed McLaren down pipes with and with out catalytic converters is that ONLY Fabspeed supplies Military Specification 321 stainless steel 200 degree ceramic thermal blankets with rockwool aramid covers . These thermal blankets are used by defense contractors to keep all heat inside pipes, turbines to stop thermal radiation from damaging electronics, rubber and other sensitive components on aircraft and navy applications. Fabspeed designed these thermal blankets as these are so much better than any Mclaren oem metallic heat shields. The Fabspeed blankets absorb subsonic noise and vibration too! Therefore on catted or non-catted systems and or Mclaren enthusiasts with sensitive hearing or wanting no drone only Fabspeed can deliver. Jet Hot coating or ceramic coating Mclaren exhausts will not stop heat and will definitely not stop sympathetic resonance and noise.

I will get one of my guys to load a VIDEO of Mp4/650/675LT with catbypass pipes with a stock OEM mClaren rear exhaust. If you are in a rush there are many Video sound clips on our website www.fabspeed.com and on our youtube channel.

Cruise by you can drive my car with extra large massive HJS 200 cell catalytic converters and a tune 750HP.

Let us know what we can do for any of you guys.
Joe Fabiani Fabspeed Motorsport USA
25+ year of Innovation
Performance Passion Perfection.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've searched youtube and all around looking for a sound clip of a 12c with Catless Downpipes coupled with the factory non sport rear section. Any of you guys have a clip or a link?

Thanks in advance for any info !
This is the setup I have. Catless downpipes and the non-factory rear section from a couple. The best sound of all Macs from what I found. I had catless and the factory sport H pipe. Way to loud and raspy.... This is perfect....
IMG_0961.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts