McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon guys,

I just wanted share a quick bit of what we have been up too this past month. I have decided to make our own in house brand (AW1) Downpipes and exhaust for all McLaren models (12c, 570S, 650s, 675LT, 600LT, 720s)

The downpipes:
Our Downpipes are 3.5” diameter are made out of stainless steel or can be also made out of Inconel upon request. We decided it was the best route to reuse the factory heat shielding (as many other manufactures have done also) as well as ceramic thermal coat them for an added layer of protection. While testing we found it best to use the mesh style flex for longevity. All of our Downpipes are flared to work with the OEM rear section, our titanium rear sections (still in the works) or any other brand that shares the same size. We offer a “race” catless version and also a catted version using HJS HD 200cell cats.

Here are some shots of our “race” 3.5 stainless Downpipes with our standard ceramic coating on them

And here are what our “race” Downpipes look like before ceramic thermal coating

We have a few pairs of “race” Downpipes available ready to install or ship, our catted versions are currently being finished up and will head off to ceramic thermal coating. If anyone is interested to get pricing please feel free to message me .

All McLaren life members get 15% off retail!

Cheers,

·
Registered
176 Posts
Alex. those look great. I have a local buddy in the market for (200 cat) DP's for his 2019 600LT. Feel free to text me later about them. Also how extensive have you tested the ceramic? I only ask because I know if applied wrong it can actually burn and melt off causing a fire. I saw this recently on a F430 with improperly coated headers. I'm not doubting your application at all, just gotta be careful these days. Also would you offer a non-ceramic coated version since you re-use the factory shielding? Thanks!

·
Vendor
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alex. those look great. I have a local buddy in the market for (200 cat) DP's for his 2019 600LT. Feel free to text me later about them. Also how extensive have you tested the ceramic? I only ask because I know if applied wrong it can actually burn and melt off causing a fire. I saw this recently on a F430 with improperly coated headers. I'm not doubting your application at all, just gotta be careful these days. Also would you offer a non-ceramic coated version since you re-use the factory shielding? Thanks!
Hey Adam!

Thank you, we do have catted versions as well. You are correct! If the thermal ceramic coating is not properly applied and is not cured correctly it will actually begin to flake off which could lead to an issue under extreme heat conditions. The specific coating I decided to go with after being fully cured can withstand up to 1800 degrees. We have been testing it on our first initial set we made for quite sometime now and have had 0 issues.

I definitely offer a non coated version since we reuse the factory heat shielding! We actually just did a shoot with the non coated “race” version yesterday .

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just wanted to show what we have been up to on our downpipe development, we decided to stray away from using the traditional oem heat shielding and use ceramic thermal coating with titanium ontop of that in order to get 2 layers of protection. Also we did this to help installation be a little easier.

We also decided to change our flexes to the nice dual wall accordion style versus the mesh to allow more flex with the Downpipes when they need to flex.

Here are a couple shots of our catted series Downpipes in raw stainless before heading off to be ceramic coated.

For anyone who is interesting a pair (catted or “race”) please feel free to reach out to me anytime through here or shoot me an email!

Current lead times are 8 days out with ceramic thermal coating!

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While continuing to improve are products to be the best out there for the best price we have done another revision on our downpipes. They are now coming standard in 321 Stainless 3.5" material with Billet Vband Flanges and ball joints for improved strength and precise fitment, We also are continuing to use the dual sleeved bellows to allow for the proper flex. Our current lead time for a set with ceramic thermal coating is 8 days.

To place an order please contact us ([email protected]) or visit our website!

Cheers,

·
Vendor
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Race" 3.5 setup + 30TQ
"Catted" 3.5 setup +39TQ

The RACE makes less power than the CATTED?
Not less power slightly less torque at peak however that is with The factory ecu tune (as you requested). Going with the “Race” setup I would strongly advise getting a ecu tune for a proper calibration since you will not be running cats

Cheers,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts