McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problems with wiper motors and airbag installations at the factory affect just a handful of cars.

McLaren is recalling 327 cars to fix windshield wiper motors.

On 2012-2014 McLaren MP4-12C coupe and spider models, the wiper motors can jam in hot temperatures due to compounds that can cause the motor brushes to expand. McLaren said it would only recall 327 of the 1,140 cars imported to the U.S. for these model years since it did not foresee the problem occurring in other areas.

Only McLarens sold or registered in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas are subject to having the wiper motors replaced. A total of nine cars have had the problem, and all of them were in Florida. McLaren said it would offer lifetime warranties for the motor on all other cars if they fail due to this problem. Owners can contact McLaren at 1-646-429-8916.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks JKG. I wouldn't be surprised if those in Dubai had some issues as well. I'm relatively confident when you bring your car in for service, they'll take care of this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I heard there were problems with rear lamp clusters cracking and condensation inside, is this covered by long warranty. does anyone know ?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I heard there were problems with rear lamp clusters cracking and condensation inside, is this covered by long warranty. does anyone know ?
Yes Paul,they change them regularly my Dear !! Think its now part of the Annual service in damp countries !!
Like a lot of these problems garaging the cars doesn't help,apart from the insurance premium ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
The rear light cluster is being replaced on mine once again, always seems to be the OS :confused:

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Perhaps semantics, but an important distinction nonetheless: this is an actual manufacturer recall or a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)?

·
Owner
893 Posts
What kind of cheap-ass suppliers does McLaren use ?? Lamp clusters cracking, headlamps fogging, defective horns, seizing wiper motors, lousy navigation ..... WTF !!! Do they buy the cheapest components they can find ?:confused:

·
Registered
807 Posts
What kind of cheap-ass suppliers does McLaren use ?? Lamp clusters cracking, headlamps fogging, defective horns, seizing wiper motors, lousy navigation ..... WTF !!! Do they buy the cheapest components they can find ?:confused:
I share your frustration, having experienced a few niggles myself, but I think we need to keep in mind that you have two choices: (1) cool, "bespoke" items, some of which will fail; or, (2) parts-bin items sourced from higher-volume cars that will also fail, but not as often. These kinds of things happen with all low-volume cars (and other equipment). When you literally have the 800th car ever made, there are bound to be problems with the "bespoke" items. I'd much prefer to have the tailights replaced under warranty, instead of ever hearing "Hey, aren't those tailights on your McLaren the same ones that Volvo uses?"

So long as McLaren does the right thing by replacing failed items free of charge, even beyond the expiration of the 3-year warranty, then all should be OK.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Perhaps semantics, but an important distinction nonetheless: this is an actual manufacturer recall or a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)?
Update: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=13V541000

Meh... not that much of a big deal, admittedly. An inconvenience perhaps for those with non-local dealers.

These kinds of things happen with all low-volume cars (and other equipment). When you literally have the 800th car ever made, there are bound to be problems with the "bespoke" items...
For perspective, that's approx. how many Honda Accord sedans are produced per-day for the U.S. market.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
A functioning windscreen wiper is required for safe operation of the vehicle, so this is an actual Recall, albeit a voluntary one and not one imposed on McLaren by demand of the NHTSA. Manufacturers are responsible for identifying and correcting problems of this nature that could affect vehicle safety in the USA, and following this prescribed process of notification with the NHTSA and the customer. Some see it as a negative headline, but recalls are actually a positive thing as more customers are unlikely to be inconvenienced by the failure afterwards or have to worry of the costs of repair on a vehicle that could already be out of warranty when the failure occurs.

Other times, through a series of customer complaints received by the NHTSA an investigation will be opened and a determination made to issue a recall, but that's not the typical scenario.

If you care to read the nitty-gritty on this one it is all public record:

McLaren's report to the NHTSA:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM446097/RCDNN-13V541-3487P.pdf

NHTSA response:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM447405/RCAK-13V541-3155.pdf

>8^)
ER

EDIT: I see you found your own way to it while I was pecking away at the keyboard here. :)

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
EDIT: I see you found your own way to it while I was pecking away at the keyboard here. :)
Your posts are very thorough & content-rich, so I appreciate the follow-up & explanation! :cool:

I think everyone should go & trade-in their 12Cs at CarMax, accept whatever offer they get! Damn wipers... :p

·
Registered
886 Posts
Doubt Dubai has the high humidity factor.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Doubt Dubai has the high humidity factor.
Humidity can be very high here, especially during the summer months (blocking of the air con centre vent is almost essential if you want to see where you're going).

Have not had any communication with the dealer about this issue yet though and have not had a problem in 2 years of ownership.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts