McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in at least one other thread that I planned to have some slotted iron rotors made for the car and have a set done and installed. I am also running the relatively new EBC Orange on the street, ane will try the EBC blue on track. I have only just bedded the Orange pads and don't have any real info as yet, other than everything works with no vibration, pulsing or negative effects, and I want to say the brakes are a little less "grabby" on initial application, but I may just be getting used to the car and better modulating the pedal in general. If I think this is worthwhile, I'll make it available and the price should be no more than 60% of stock list price. Some photos:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I would like to ask if you have used the Mclaren ali top hats or are these available on their own,as Mclaren have told me the rotors come with them and they dont strip them down ??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I simply had iron rotors made and re-used the aluminum hats. I could have hats made at an extra cost, but it is really easy to just re-use the hats (albeit a bit time consuming to remove and replace the 12 nuts and bolts). Frankly, if I were to go to the effort of having hats made, I'd also want to try fully floating rotors.

I did not know the rotors and hats came as an assembly and will have to inquire about that.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for taking the time to post and the effort on the project in the first place obviously!

Over here, the OrangeStuff aren't technically road legal/approved at the moment. But, I suppose, only in the same way that loud exhausts and dark visors aren't . And the pads aren't as obvious.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great project, well done !! Slotted rotors make so much more sense than drilled.

If only you could make them thicker than stock to absorb more heat.

Please keep us updated as I think there would be significant interrest in this items.
The rears are just that; more material than stock. The fronts are not, due to issues with availability of blanks to machine down to the 370 mm size. I am inquiring further into that, but will get some rotor temp data first. One idea I had was to increase the front rotor diameter and offset the radial mount caliper, but that will impart more front bias. Potentially a good thing with stickier tires.

For the street I am confident these are fine. The car is not even broken in for the track testing, so I'll report further in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
The rears are just that; more material than stock. The fronts are not, due to issues with availability of blanks to machine down to the 370 mm size. I am inquiring further into that, but will get some rotor temp data first. One idea I had was to increase the front rotor diameter and offset the radial mount caliper, but that will impart more front bias. Potentially a good thing with stickier tires.

For the street I am confident these are fine. The car is not even broken in for the track testing, so I'll report further in a few weeks.
Excellent stuff, kverges. Not quite sure how you would make the rear rotors carrying more material than stock as the calipers do dictate the maximum thickness of the rotors ?

Regarding bigger rotor diameters, how would you offset the radial mount caliper ? With some sort of adapter ? I'm sure 390mm front and 370mm rear plus cooling ducts would significantly increase the resistancy to fade.

Please keep us updated about the rotors and pads.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts