McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my oil for the first time, must have been a little over zealous when adding oil. Level shows "maximum" ,one bar over line at 180 degrees. I measured at 210 degrees and it showed "overfill"

Does anyone know if the design of the oil tank allows for oil to be drawn out using a tube put into the fill neck? This would be better than putting the car back on a lift.

Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you not watch my video on that? I warned of overfill and what has to be done to correct it!
oh I watched the video. I think I was just a bit more heavy handed. I went from low to overfill quicker than anticipated. What did you do to correct?

·
Registered
492 Posts
oh I watched the video. I think I was just a bit more heavy handed. I went from low to overfill quicker than anticipated. What did you do to correct?
I have been too, the last liter doesn't fill like most cars do. You think you're low but the difference in low and too much is 1 liter. The correction..... prepare to get messy. I put a container under the sump drain to measure what came out as best as possible seeing as you won't drain exactly what you need and stop. It comes out FAST, and getting the plug back in may not be as smooth as you think. It won't start to drain till you get it all the way out as I'm sure you already learned. To be honest, you're probably going to end up draining close to a liter by the time you get the plug back in unless you can finagle it really well. I might have done a better job of it if I waited for it to be cooler than it was. It was still pretty hot when I did it. The only reason I didn't have bad burns was the gloves. I'd wait till engine temperature isn't even on the gauge before trying to drain any, you'll thank yourself when you go to put the plug back in and it's splashing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks @EMF Audio i was worried that’s what you would say. Back up in the air and off with the undertray again I suppose. I guess the oil tank has too much baffling to run a tube down into it..

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks @EMF Audio i was worried that’s what you would say. Back up in the air and off with the undertray again I suppose. I guess the oil tank has too much baffling to run a tube down into it..
I'd presume some level of vacuum might be able to do it, but achieving that vacuum could be quite a chore.

·
Registered
509 Posts
unless the baffles prevent you from reaching the oil in the tank, there is no reason why you couldn't just suck some oil out with a vacuum oil drain pump.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I forget exactly but I want to say it was L for me. I recall being nervous about overfill until I called mclaren philly and they said they start w 7 and top from there as needed. Which was right on point. Assuming if less created overfill all the drain points may have not been fully drained. A lot came from each of the 4 points.
Really wish there was a manual measurement for oil. Hate having to rev car to warm up up before knowing exact level.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hate having to rev car to warm up up before knowing exact level.
What I hate the most about that is even the documentation I have says "add 0L" is technically just over too much oil but not unacceptable. So it's over full, but I shouldn't add any which I wasn't going to anyway because it's full but over full?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts