McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It strikes me that each new car that McLaren produces is likely to have the 'MP4' prefix as each McLaren (bar the F1) tends to have it. For simplicity's sake, wouldn't it be more accurate to call the MP4-12C the '12C'?

I have noticed quite a few people erroneously use the name 'MP4' when referring to the MP4-12C and I am sure it will get more confusing the more models there are!

I am sure folks will be along to soon to correct me if I am wrong!

:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Brilliant idea.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It strikes me that each new car that McLaren produces is likely to have the 'MP4' prefix as each McLaren (bar the F1) tends to have it. For simplicity's sake, wouldn't it be more accurate to call the MP4-12C the '12C'?

I have noticed quite a few people erroneously use the name 'MP4' when referring to the MP4-12C and I am sure it will get more confusing the more models there are!

I am sure folks will be along to soon to correct me if I am wrong!

:D
If I recall Anthony Sheriff called it the '12C' in his interviews to shorten the name.......I'm with you......unless they give future models a NAME

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't even begin to understand the nomenclature - I know that MP4 signifies the beginning of Ron's involvment, but there was an MP4-12 back in 1997, so wat up wit dat?

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I don't even begin to understand the nomenclature - I know that MP4 signifies the beginning of Ron's involvment, but there was an MP4-12 back in 1997, so wat up wit dat?
MP4 originally stood for Marlboro Project Four, Ron's race team (Formula Two and Formula Three) before the reverse takeover of McLaren to form McLaren International. Ron had already hired John Barnard to design MP4/1, the first ever carbon fiber composite chassis F1 racecar. This was late 70s and early 80s. Of course, after Marlboro's involvement ended, it became "McLaren Project Four". All the Formula One racers since have been called MP4/2, MP4/3, etc. in succession. Believe Senna and Prost were around MP4/4 range. Lewis' championship car is MP4/23. This year's challenger is MP4/27.

12C refers to the car having an internal performance and efficiency index rating of 12 (internal because only McLaren knows how the indices work). C stands for carbon (the MonoCell, not the decorative bits on your steering wheel).

Ron is quirky with his technical details, but he's a legend in the business of motorsport. I love that the MP4 prefix reflects the history of his achievements in F1. That said I've been calling the car simply 12C for a long time now. McLaren uses both MP4-12C and simply 12C in their communications. I suspect that when the the next MP4-something is launched, everybody will naturally start to differentiate between the cars by dropping the prefix.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I've been referring to it as simply the 12C for quite a while verbally. Often I will write out the full name it was given in posts but I've never referred to it as simply the 'MP4' in any context as I understand the confusion that could bring.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use 12C almost exclusively. I think that when there is a 13C and so on it will be more common
Agree. MP4 is not descriptive, though the history is cool. Things get worse for me when P11,P12 are mentioned. I'm hoping McLaren will ultimately be more sensible than Porsche, who once sold me a 911 997.1 C4S.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Agree. MP4 is not descriptive, though the history is cool. Things get worse for me when P11,P12 are mentioned. I'm hoping McLaren will ultimately be more sensible than Porsche, who once sold me a 911 997.1 C4S.
I was referring to the entry car and the F1 replacement. I thought they would start all of the cars with MP. I'd really like to see something more clever.

·
Registered
296 Posts
MP4 originally stood for Marlboro Project Four, Ron's race team (Formula Two and Formula Three) before the reverse takeover of McLaren to form McLaren International. Ron had already hired John Barnard to design MP4/1, the first ever carbon fiber composite chassis F1 racecar. This was late 70s and early 80s. Of course, after Marlboro's involvement ended, it became "McLaren Project Four". All the Formula One racers since have been called MP4/2, MP4/3, etc. in succession. Believe Senna and Prost were around MP4/4 range. Lewis' championship car is MP4/23. This year's challenger is MP4/27.

12C refers to the car having an internal performance and efficiency index rating of 12 (internal because only McLaren knows how the indices work). C stands for carbon (the MonoCell, not the decorative bits on your steering wheel).

Ron is quirky with his technical details, but he's a legend in the business of motorsport. I love that the MP4 prefix reflects the history of his achievements in F1. That said I've been calling the car simply 12C for a long time now. McLaren uses both MP4-12C and simply 12C in their communications. I suspect that when the the next MP4-something is launched, everybody will naturally start to differentiate between the cars by dropping the prefix.
I believe Ron's company was called "Project 4" and when he took over McLaren it became "MP4"
But you are correct in the fact that the first carbon car was an original "P4" design and was changed to MP4/1 once the take over of Mclaren had occurred.

All of Mac's projects are sequential, I think the F1 was P5? and the SLR was P7.
P8 , P9,P10 where supposed to be the next Merc super cars, but MB pulled out and P11 was the result .
But what do i know, i could be wrong !

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
So why is our car called a 12c when the first MP4-12 was a carbon tub F1 car from 1997? Shouldn't that have been designated 12c and ours be something like MP4-28c?
I am confused!

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
So why is our car called a 12c when the first MP4-12 was a carbon tub F1 car from 1997? Shouldn't that have been designated 12c and ours be something like MP4-28c?
I am confused!
Tex, the Formula One car was MP4/12, notice the slash vs a hyphen. Admittedly, not the easiest detail to catch or remember. But all the Formula One racecars are MP4/ whereas all the road cars will presumably use a hyphen after the prefix and then their index rating.

Similarly, Ferrari used to use the displacement of a single cylinder and then tack on GTC, SWB or whatever, plus any handling package designator. Now they use the engine's entire displacement. Strange days we live in as I would not relish the task of explaining differences between an MP4-12C GT3 and a 599 GTB HGTE. Pop quiz can you figure out what each character in a Lambo LP670-4 SV stands for? ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
It is quite simple. The model is a 12C.

All McLarens are MP4 so calling a car an MP4 is like calling it a McLaren. It doesnt mean much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts