McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here and I am sorry if i am intruding as i dont actually have a McLaren yet....and this is where i need your help. I am currently driving a Lotus Evora S (so 350hp supercharged). I am looking for the upgrade, but was wondering if i am going to be plagued by the same annoying issues as with my current car. I know the Lotus is not as well built but has anyone else experienced the following? Leaking windows? Doors not closing properly? rattling from the dash?...to name a few. I find the rattling especially annoying and it is hard to shake off even though the car is great to drive. I read that the 12c had similar issues...is this on the 2012s or do the 2013s have the same...has McLaren fixed all this for the 2014 spider, which is what i am looking to buy. Is the IRIS issue fixed now and does not need to be frequently reset?

I guess i just need the extra push to just go for it, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Welcome Andrei

Love my Mclaren - only reason I would sell is for a Spider and some MSO specs.

My guess is most of the Spiders are sold to owners that had coupes - that speaks volumes as all the 2012's have the same updates as the 2013 and my guess will continue to 2014.

FWIW - that's a shove not a push :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Here is my take on quality. I currently own a Mercedes SLS and based on Mercedes' reputation as a top notch manufacturer, my SLS has this annoying rattle from the rear deck. My dealer also fixed my door rattle and roofline rattle as well. Are these rattles annoying? Yes! But do these issues make me regret of getting a SLS? Of course not! My Mercedes dealership has treated me very well and I know they will be able to fix the issues.

It's always a gamble when you buy these performance cars. My Ferrari, which I now sold, never had any rattles of any sort and the door seal never leaked water, but it did break down twice (F1 transmission failure and fuel pump failure) during my canyon drives (one time I had to walk 3 miles just to get reception on my phone and call for help :eek:). Even with these issues, I still miss my 599 from time to time.

If you live relatively close to your Mclaren dealer, then I would seriously look at the 12C Spider. Don't let these minor quality issues stop you from buying one of the greatest car currently available on the market today. Even though I have yet to deal with my local Mclaren service department (just bought my car last week), everything I read online tells me that you will be treated very well.

So take the plunge and enjoy!

·
Registered
499 Posts
If your choice was a 458 spider, I had one and found the chassis to be very flexy. With the roof down, the rear view mirror would continually be vibrating. With the roof up, the seals would squeak. Quite surprising.

I think you will find the benefits of a carbon tub especially compelling for the 12c spider. My 2012 coupe has had zero issues, no squeaks or rattles. iris, however, needs another software release, or two, before they get it right. But that is separate from the chassis and engine. The seating position, visibility and steering are perfect for me. And it is very, very fast!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Closer you live to a Dealer the better. Not all the bugs / rattles are worked out yet. You sound picky like me, and you should be, you want to buy a 300k plus car.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Hardly any intrusion. I don't own a McLaren either and they've let me stick around for a few years. ;)

These cars are not without their complaints but a majority of the early issues have been sorted and McLaren have been proactive in updating their production processes to prevent re-occurrence with the latest cars they are building. I am pretty sensitive about squeaks and rattles and other non-life threatening car issues myself and if I were in this market at the moment I wouldn't hesitate to add a McLaren to the garage.

Best of luck with your decision and if there are other questions about the car that we can answer feel free to throw them in too.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The problem here is some of you guys seem to want a super high performance exotic car that rides like a Rolls Royce, which its does. Yet we seem to lose sight of the fact that this is a super car, which means it may make some odd noises and sounds. How many cars are there out there with performance specs like this and do not have any of the rattling, squeaking, thumping etc....issues, none. Just enjoy the car for what it's meant to do, be driven like a bat out of hell. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hardly any intrusion. I don't own a McLaren either and they've let me stick around for a few years. ;)

These cars are not without their complaints but a majority of the early issues have been sorted and McLaren have been proactive in updating their production processes to prevent re-occurrence with the latest cars they are building. I am pretty sensitive about squeaks and rattles and other non-life threatening car issues myself and if I were in this market at the moment I wouldn't hesitate to add a McLaren to the garage.

Best of luck with your decision and if there are other questions about the car that we can answer feel free to throw them in too.

>8^)
ER
Giddy up Peloton25 giddy up, well said. Cheers....??

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The 12C-SP is epic. All problems are well sorted. I can not tell the difference between the Coupe and SP. In fact I would say the SP handles a little better than the coupe due to positioning of the extra weight.

If you are looking for a 12C-SP, you may wish to consider my 500 mile car in Volcano yellow car at McLaren Birmingham, this is a big spec car, that is well priced.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 12C-SP is epic. All problems are well sorted. I can not tell the difference between the Coupe and SP. In fact I would say the SP handles a little better than the coupe due to positioning of the extra weight.

If you are looking for a 12C-SP, you may wish to consider my 500 mile car in Volcano yellow car at McLaren Birmingham, this is a big spec car, that is well priced.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you get rid of your 12C spider only after 500mi.?

·
Registered
359 Posts

Do you have details, can't see it on their site - just a POA Papaya coupe (is the price a secret these days?).

·
Registered
964 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
It is on the PH website also, The car is epic, feels faster then the coupe, I am selling due to I do not spend enough time in the UK. PH yet to update price, it is 229,950.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
The list price my Volcanic yellow 12C-SP car at McLaren Birmingham was 242,500.00 plus 15k for MSO front bumper including the carbon insert, along with 2k for the Paint Shield, so at 229.950 it is a 30k saving on list.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Probably good idea to live at a nearby dealer indeed as Mark says. I like the little Lotus, their lightweight, their handling. Till certain extend there are similarities and then you'll surely enjoy it. If I may suggest.. Try to get one for a few days. The more seattime the more you'll appreciate whether it's something for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. Well i think i got the nudge i needed....now how does one go about convincing the wife?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated. Well i think i got the nudge i needed....now how does one go about convincing the wife?
I usually have to go out and buy her something worth while, and it usually involves a brilliant hard piece of super compressed carbon. LOL??. Cheers....??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts