McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have not posted in a while and im about 2 months from being able to get the spider, pretty decked out, but my question is...should I hold out till the 2015 12C, seeing that i will be missing a lot of the summer and will be getting in the winter and not be able to drive it properly? What would you do?

:confused:

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Where do you live andrei?

So this is the age old question of when to buy. Waiting there will always be something better/faster. Not sure about cheaper though. I imagine some price bumps may continue unless the global recession hits harder...

Anyway, one other reason to perhaps hold off is to see if there will be an "upped" version of the 12C to compete with the 458 speciale. Although I think even the current 12C will do well against the upgraded 458, there is a chance McLaren will do some upgrade. Not sure. And seems on the less than 50% side of things, if rumors in the forums are to be believed.

Also, there was a rumor that there might be some slight headlight modifications to the 12C for 2015, but that may have been mixed in with the P13 mule.

Anyhow, those 2 are the only things you might be missing out to cause buyers remorse. Neither of them would be issues for me. If Mclaren comes out with a "special" version of the 12C, odds are it will cost 100k more, which, barring like 200hp boost, wouldn't' be worth it for me.

Slight modification to headlines, meh, irrelevant.

But those are my sensibilities, and I'd prefer to drive it, even in the winter. Love the car. Im in NYC, so we get a few bad snow days, but I can still enjoy the car during the winter. Albiet, not to the same extent.

TLDR, get it now, you may be dead tomorrow. ☺

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. John I live in jersey city but work jn nyc. How is the Mac dealing with the potholes in the city? Mac attack, waiting on a job opportunity that would solidify the finances. I guess I'm more paranoid than some but it will happen. John I would think that any changes done to upgrade the Mac would be offered to existing customers, maybe not for free like last time...that's what I would like to think anyway....engine and cosmetic changes

·
Registered
207 Posts
Andrei,
Get it now, so we have 6 for the meetup (C=
I use to live in jersey city as well. The potholes there are probably equal to the nyc.
Just gotta watch out for the cabbies/buses in the city.

Save some cash now and buy a 2012, unless u r dead set on a spider. If you are going for a spider, u might as well buy a 2014. Are there big changes to 2015?!?

I was gonna wait till next year to pickup a spider, but decided to pull the trigger on a 2012 coupe.
I still have the fall (beautiful leaves) to drive it. Ill drive it until it starts to snow or get colder then 40-45 degrees.
lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
also, yeah, safer to get your finances straighten before you pull the trigger. Wouldnt want you to have to turn your car in after afew miles on it....our would we?!? (C=
lc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Calvin, really want to get a spider in case we move to CA (which is still a possibility) so a 2014 is the one to get. im worried if i order in the next few weeks it will still take 3 months to come esp that i want to get the MSO GT3 back which will prob further delay things. If i get now i can get more money on the current Lotus than if i wait for the 2015 model in terms of exchange....ugh decisions decisions....but at least good decisions...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks guys. John I live in jersey city but work jn nyc. How is the Mac dealing with the potholes in the city? Mac attack, waiting on a job opportunity that would solidify the finances. I guess I'm more paranoid than some but it will happen. John I would think that any changes done to upgrade the Mac would be offered to existing customers, maybe not for free like last time...that's what I would like to think anyway....engine and cosmetic changes
Car is great in NYC. It really does smooth out the rough spots. Biggest problem in the city is not getting hit by a bus. I have some clients in jersey city not far from the path station there. I remember there being only some rough patches as you come in off the highway (near some supermarket) and frankly wasn't bad at all and didn't even feel anything.

As for free/paid updates. If its software based and or minor mechanical, I think an update is very possible, but if its body work, I think the changes are less likely as subtle body work changes would likely in olive a lot of panel changes. I could be wrong about that though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If youre set on lotus, sell it now and wait till next year for 2014 spider. Price should be less. But prices may also stay firm next year for the spring/summer. Maybe no IS the time to buy one. Decisions, decisions...heheh. Im enjoying mines now! (C=

Theres no problem driving a spider in the east coast. You still have spring/summer/fall to enjoy it. Ive also considered the spider, but cost was over what I was willing to pay for between 2012 and 2013. If theres no difference between 2013 and 14, u might wanna save the extra cash for a 2013. IRIS is the only change Ive heard of. Its a $3k swap so should be doable if you can get a good deal on it.

Question is, when is best time to buy (when its cheaper), This fall or next spring?
Looks like you are really looking for the gt3 option so if it was me, id probably wait. I HATE WAITING!
I have zero patience when it comes to driving this beast! (C-
good luck.
lc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts