McLaren Life banner

Shift speed confirmation please

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  noone1 
#1 ·
Can someone confirm your car works the same in such a scenario? The first video is upshift, the second is downshift. I'm in Manual, Active, Sport Handling, Track Powertrain. I'm just cruising at 40mph, just enough throttle to cruise of course.

What's odd is that I can down shift really quick then immediately switch to upshift very quick, but if I just try to upshift very quick, it's slow.

I just want some feedback before I ship the car off to the dealer to get some other things fixed.

#12 · (Edited)
So I'm a big fat liar Noone1. Went out and took a video for you. Looks like I have the same thing. I could swear I've flipped the gears (perhaps at different speeds) and I've seen the upshifts fly up, but video don't lie.

The downs are basically immediate, but the ups have some lag. I guess most times you just don't notice when you're "on it," but you're right on the money that it's common to hit the gas on an onramp and then want to jump to the top gear. And looks like that's going to take a sec or two, at least at slower speeds. I think there might be some software algorithm that speeds things up when you're on it more, and calms things otherwise. I was in Normal/Sport/Manual.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgaanwYyNNk

BTW, how do you embed videos so they show up right here in the forum?

#5 ·
John,
I heard you were a maniac up at mclaren philly...j/k.
I didnt know u also live by edison, nj. Thats by me (C=
I also heard another local picked up a grey mclaren near rumson, nj.
Thats makes 6? Are we still on for saturday Sept 7th? Anyone else available?
lc

#13 ·
Hey Calvin. They were likely being too kind and yet still they're right. :)

I have a place in edison and NYC.

Soon we'll have a legion! :)

I think right now it may be just you and me, but I may have to send the car in. My IRIS has just frozen at the Mclaren screen. Won't reboot. Left it off for 6 hours adn tried it, still no go. So she may have to go back to PhillyMac this week. :(

If you have enough folks, I don't want to stop good times this weekend, but hopefully will have her back by the 14th, and maybe Walt could then make it too?

#8 ·
i think you are just going too slow to be wanting to shift so fast all the way to 6th gear. try it again while you are going fast and stepping on it and see what happens.

the downshifts are accurate because at that slow speed it would be natural for you to downshift and probably the ECU thinks this is a normal way of operating.

#9 · (Edited)
That's what I thought too, but that's why I'm asking for confirmation from others here. I can actually shift up very fast, no matter what speed I'm going, so long as the throttle is heavy. If I'm in 2nd gear at 20mph, slam my foot on the gas and pull the trigger quickly, it will upshift very fast to 6th or whatever, just as if I was in the correct gear and accelerating hard. It seem like my upshift speed is based entirely on throttle and whether it's acceptable (RPMs can't be too low/high obviously.)

Like I said, I can shift up super fast if I downshift first followed be immediate upshift, which made me skeptical as to why I can't just shift up fast.

In reality however, I would think my speed was actually ideal for fast upshifts -- cruising at low speec in manual. In such a case with a manual car, I'd just go directly to 6th from 3rd or whatever low gear I was in.

#10 ·
Throttle position makes a big difference. Put your right foot down in track track and show us that.

#11 · (Edited)
Well, that I know is fast. I just found it odd that it can in fact shift wherever wherever it wants, and quite quickly and smoothly might I add, but that it doesn't let me upshift quickly unless im going balls out. I just need to know whether this is normal or not and if it should be looked at.

It seriously took 5 seconds to shift from 3rd to 6th and like 10 clicks of the paddle. It's not the shift speed that is worrisome but rather the responsiveness.

I really don't understand why it should be less responsive at lower speed. Responsive != jerky or harsh. If I flick the paddle, it should shift. It should be able to go up to 6th quickly without me having to slam on the gas, and I know it can do it just fine because I tested it with the quick, down-first-then-up method that allowed it, and it can do it under heavy throttle regardless of speed/acceleration.

#14 ·
Welcome to the world of slow DCT. I think you are being misled by the gear indicator in the downshift video.The gear indicator dropping from 6 to 3 instantly is actually telling you the process the car is working through, the engine rev rise at the point it shows 3 is not enough from the start point of 6 - it is not actually yet in 3 - it will get there at some point down the line.
You need a non sequential F1 box. :p
Not sure why the same process of accepting 3 pulls for processing of 3 changes doesn't work on the upshift - if you simply do 3 pulls do you achieve the same result as your 10 pulls or are the requests not buffered?

#16 ·
For those of you without a 12C and may be confused about this thread I want to clarify that the shift speed at full throttle is very quick, especially with pre-cog. Under cruising conditions the car takes a much smoother and leisurely path for up shifts.

#17 · (Edited)
IMHO There is nothing wrong with your car. You are in track transmission mode which is programmed for full throttle near redline upshifts and you are clicking away(16-17 times based on my count) wanting it to upshift when you are cruising at light throttle in 3rd gear. That makes no sense to me.:confused:

sorry if I sound harsh - not meant to be. I just don't understand why you would be trying to do that.

#19 ·
IMHO There is nothing wrong with your car. You are in track transmission mode which is programmed for full throttle near redline upshifts and you are clicking away(16-17 times based on my count) wanting it to upshift when you are cruising at light throttle in 3rd gear. That makes no sense to me.:confused:

sorry if I sound harsh - not meant to be. I just understand why you would be trying to do that.
I know what youre saying Ritesh, but this is one of the few places where the 458 is better. Slow moving shifts. The 458 just gives you the gear you want, even if it's not a good idea. There is something to having that immediacy. The Mac gives you what you want as fast as you want, as long as youre doing it under conditions that make sense. A bit of a nanny at that. I suspect the P1 will not be as much of a nanny, and if it's a hit, I wonder if its something we could ask them to do a software update on.

#22 ·
My car does what the OP describes. I agree that if I ask for the upshift and and am in M, give me the &*%* upshift. I also find that if I quickly pull the upshift lever there is a fraction of second delay before the shift happens. The shift itself is quick, it's just delayed. In my manual trans cars I frequently grab top gear at 45 mph or so when I can tell the traffic ahead is going to block me or I just am finished accelerating hard and I see no reason why this car should not permit the same.

Also, I have a late 2012 and while there is no detent indicating pre-cog, I find that if I move the shift paddle slightly and then to the click, I get the next gear immediately. I wonder if a necessary downside of pre-cog is that regular shifts are delayed.

All that said, the car does what it does and you are looking at what, 2 seconds to get from 3-7 so there is no need for frantic clicking, just be deliberate and take the gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.