McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 570S Track Pack
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team,

Looking at an ECU tune next, and although I was wanting to go with RaceChip GTS Black due to the ease of availability and not having to send the ECU overseas, I can't find all that many reviews apart from their test car. Has anyone used Sheepey for an ECU tune or know of anyone that has one? I'm also considering sending them my ECU for a Stage 2 tune due to their great pricing compared with their competition, plus I can't find many/any negative reviews on them.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sheepy sent my friend their r8 TT kit and it was an absolute mess to install. Parts missing, no instructions. Used ig pictures to help identify how to assembly except they are nearly all different. Turbos at many angles etc. After many trips to the parts store it’s finally running.

I know it’s unrelated to a mclaren tune but it was my first experience with them as a company and it wasn’t pleasant.

I have the mengineering tune on my car with map switching and love it.

·
Registered
2017 570S Track Pack
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!

So if I only plan on going catless downpipes and ECU tune on 93 Octane, maybe running 1-2 drag days a year, is this the correct tune for me? I don't plan on changing fuels or running E85 like in my R35 GT-R

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
203 Posts

·
Registered
2017 570S Track Pack
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
You'd have to talk to the local tuner - but it would probably go something like this:

1. Go there, they access your ECU, and connect up their cable and make sure it's compatible.
2. They load a tune that should be suitable for your mods.
3. They do some datalogging and send the files off to be looked at, or look at them themselves.
4. They tweak the original base file or receive the tweaked file by email to be loaded onto your car.
5. They run some more logs to be sent back to be looked at - if everything is good you are done. If not another file is sent and the process repeated.

You should be done in a couple of hours - some tuners will offer a dyno run before/after and show you the process and explain everything, others you might not get such a service.

If you wanted to buy the tool yourself, then essentially you would be the person accessing the ECU, loading the file, doing the logs and sending it back to HQ to be looked at - but those tools are not cheap!

·
Registered
2017 570S Track Pack
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You'd have to talk to the local tuner - but it would probably go something like this:

1. Go there, they access your ECU, and connect up their cable and make sure it's compatible.
2. They load a tune that should be suitable for your mods.
3. They do some datalogging and send the files off to be looked at, or look at them themselves.
4. They tweak the original base file or receive the tweaked file by email to be loaded onto your car.
5. They run some more logs to be sent back to be looked at - if everything is good you are done. If not another file is sent and the process repeated.

You should be done in a couple of hours - some tuners will offer a dyno run before/after and show you the process and explain everything, others you might not get such a service.

If you wanted to buy the tool yourself, then essentially you would be the person accessing the ECU, loading the file, doing the logs and sending it back to HQ to be looked at - but those tools are not cheap!
Thank you very much for that very detailed run-down of the process! I'll be making some calls to Euro tuners tomorrow locally and I do believe one or two may have the tool. So that could be a great option :)

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Let us know how you get on!

·
World’s fastest and quickest McLarens
230 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies!

So if I only plan on going catless downpipes and ECU tune on 93 Octane, maybe running 1-2 drag days a year, is this the correct tune for me? I don't plan on changing fuels or running E85 like in my R35 GT-R

Happy to help however we can. Feel free to shoot us an email with questions.

[email protected]

If you are never going to change fuels and you're confident in that, a single cal tune can be performed. With the M838T being heavily octane limited they do come alive drastically with a calibration for race gas. On 93 Octane you are typically 12-13* away from MBT.

We currently do not have any dealers in NZ but shoot us an email and we can try and work out a solution to see what works best. You can always update to the full M-Tuner suite if you want in the future for a discounted rate. Our turnaround time is quick if you do need to mail the ECU, typically we get them turned around and mailed back out the same day. That being said, sometimes customs doesn't play nice but it is rare.

Shoot us an email anytime.

·
Registered
2017 570S Track Pack
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happy to help however we can. Feel free to shoot us an email with questions.

[email protected]

If you are never going to change fuels and you're confident in that, a single cal tune can be performed. With the M838T being heavily octane limited they do come alive drastically with a calibration for race gas. On 93 Octane you are typically 12-13* away from MBT.

We currently do not have any dealers in NZ but shoot us an email and we can try and work out a solution to see what works best. You can always update to the full M-Tuner suite if you want in the future for a discounted rate. Our turnaround time is quick if you do need to mail the ECU, typically we get them turned around and mailed back out the same day. That being said, sometimes customs doesn't play nice but it is rare.

Shoot us an email anytime.
I sent an email and your company says they don’t do single file calibrations anymore, unfortunately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts