McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a preemptive ignition coil replacement on this mac. Gladly order 8 new Bosch ignition coils and this is what I get.:cry:

·
Registered
81 Posts
The problem is the spotty quality of many things made in China. I would certainly rather have a part that is made in Germany, Japan or the US than one made in China.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The problem is the spotty quality of many things made in China. I would certainly rather have a part that is made in Germany, Japan or the US than one made in China.
At this point, the problem seems to be your perception. Do you have any evidence that Bosch is not ensuring the quality of its parts made in China, to their design and specification?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Since I am a physician let me ask would you prefer an artificial heart made in the US or Germany or one made in China? :)

·
Super Moderator
“I’m a Tuner”
1,167 Posts
Since I am a physician let me ask would you prefer an artificial heart made in the US or Germany or one made in China? :)
I want all three!
The precision of a German made heart, made with pride in the USA, with a Chinese price!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My perception is my reality.
There is only one reality.
I hope that Bosch maintains the level of quality anywhere they produce but I stand by my prior statement that more often than not many of the things made in China are of poor quality.
In my experience, the issue is that almost all companies have cost-reduced the quality from their products. Buying a "reputable" brand often doesn't help. The cost-reduction / profit increase is achieved by both design changes, and manufacturing in cheaper countries. I think that the former is the bigger issue, and can create quality issues that are often blamed on the manufacturing country, e.g. specifying (cheaper) parts with less exacting specifications.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
My perception is my reality. I hope that Bosch maintains the level of quality anywhere they produce but I stand by my prior statement that more often than not many of the things made in China are of poor quality.
Meanwhile, you're typing on a keyboard made in China with a computer with dozens of parts made in China connecting to the internet using a router made in China, looking at a monitor made in China, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Iphones are made in china, its not the place of where it is made, it is the level of manufacturing that is used. China is top grade, in the right setting.

Where did you get them from though? They could be fake to be honest. The sizes are different. You may have been scammed depending on where you got them.

These coils are meant to be manufactured in Germany unless Bosch made changes, the BOSCH txt also looks dodgy. Investigate. If they are amazon units... most likely fake there is a lot of crap flying around on ecommerce these days. Im good with spotting this shit

To be safe go Delphi coils

2012 MP4-12C
1,619 Posts
I drive a paradox. I have a Mercedes (good, German car right?) but it was made in Alabama (Americans make crap cars, right?).

I've got another one for you. If an American goes to China to make the same product, is it crap because of where located? What if someone from China comes to the US to make the same product, is it suddenly better?
......and thank goodness our McLarens are NOT made in China because then there would be all kinds of problems with them.
There are parts from China in it though.

Reactions: invisiblewave

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Just an FYI, China can make stuff just as good as Germany, Japan, or the US. China makes iPhones and Apple products, do they not? You get what you pay for. If you get a shit part out of China, it's because you wanted a shitty part. If you want a premium part in China, you can pay for that too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
And here we are driving a British car… no mention of “made in England”.
Both the parts I've ordered had labels saying "Made in the United Kingdom". I saved the labels with my service records, I don't think I've ever seen that on a car part before. Of course, you get what you pay for, the plastic cap for the frunk liner bolts is $51 with tax....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts