McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take my VIN 375 in for its 2nd-year maintenance service in January, and I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the official McLaren document listing what is done? Someone posted the document for 1st-year service and that was interesting and helpful. I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has had the 2nd-year service completed yet, and how much it cost?

I know the hydraulic suspension needs to be drained and refilled, wheel bolts replaced, oil/filter change of course. I'm wondering if I can get a discount for just having the engine sound symposer removed and the passageway plugged (instead of paying for a new symposer part), and I don't need the wiper blade replaced either. I'm planning to take it to either McLaren BH or Newport Beach here in SoCal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just had it done - $3200 from McLaren SF:

Engine oil and filter
Clutch oil and filter
Cabin filter
Engine air filters
Brake flush
Wiper blade
Replace all lug nuts
Key battery
Replace intake sound generator
Full car inspection including torque of chassis bolts
Removed all floor panels and inspected
Removed all engine coverings and inspected
Topped off all fluids
Tested lithium battery
Carried out all software updates
Checked and completed all recalls
Full tank of gas
Car wash and wax

·
Owner
893 Posts

Engine oil and filter
Clutch oil and filter
Cabin filter
Engine air filters
Brake flush
Wiper blade
Replace all lug nuts
Key battery
Topped off all fluids
Tested lithium battery
Full tank of gas
Car wash and wax
This is quite laughable, actually.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Thanks HyperMac. I had thought the draining/flushing/refilling of the suspension hydraulic fluid would be one of the most expensive tasks, but maybe that is not required in the two-year service? Price seems steep regardless, but I think it's like this with all such brands at this level. Sort of a tax to retain warranty coverage.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I was quoted similarly. Lug nuts, sound generator, and transmission fluids are likely most expensive parts. I have no doubt that if they do a full/thorough inspection on all the bits of the car, it can take 2hrs. Say another 2 hrs for all the service parts. I think 4hrs is pretty reasonable block of time. I think the labor rate is about $125ish (doing that from memory so I may be off). So about $500ish for labor. $700ish for parts. Sounds in the ball park of "reasonable."

Take the above with a grain of salt as it's based on 1-part failing memory, 1-part hearsay, 1-part conjecture. (Yea, that would pass for solid journalism these days...) :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I recall around $1,500. Which while understandable, is overpriced. What are these guys, high priced lawyers? :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had my 2-year service done for right at $3k. One big ticket item is if they swap out the transmission/clutch fluids. It's on the list for the 2-year service but only required if you reach 20,000 miles, though your dealer might recommend it. I was a little short of that, but since I do put a lot of miles on my car I opted for it, which made about a $700-800 difference for fluids and labor. This might explain some of the discrepancy in estimates/costs.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Interesting... they are doing that _now_ as part as the search for the vibration issues... but still billed me that much. Additionally, they're trying to bill $1300 for two new front P-Zero's. They are $540 from America's Tire. Since joining with the local Volvo dealership, prices have more than doubled...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

Engine oil and filter
Clutch oil and filter
Cabin filter
Engine air filters
Brake flush
Wiper blade
Replace all lug nuts
Key battery
Topped off all fluids
Tested lithium battery
Full tank of gas
Car wash and wax
You would let a dealer wash and wax your car? Seriously? How many miles do you have on your 12C now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts