McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the car for 7 months and twice after starting the car and releasing the handbrake, the car does not want to move after i start to accelerate. My driver washes my car 5 days a week and this has happen whenever after he washes the car, i don't drive it for a day, the car cannot move. Apparently it has happen to another car before my dealer claims. I have steel brakes. In some cases. the car starts to drive off only after a sound is heard from the brakes and it feels as if the brake does not want to let go. Anyone here experience this. My dealer does not have an answer and has informed McLaren. During this last experience, the dealer sand the disc brakes. They ask me to drive the car after it's wash. That's ridiculous. Besides this problem, i am happy with the car.:confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've had the same issue. The brake pads stick to the disks. Disabling the parking brake (hold parking brake lever down while opening the door) helps, but sometimes the front brakes stick as well. I've resorted to slowly driving back and forth my driveway while braking, to dry off the disks, immediately after washing the car. Seems to work.
I think the problem has improved as the pads have worn a bit.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I use an air blower on the wheels to stop this happening.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Has happened on many of my other cars in the past,but more so on cars with electronic hand brakes,so i always leave the hand brake off as Moncho suggests.It obviously never happens on ceramics.But its easy to work round,ive found it dosent make any difference wether your discs are drilled or not.

But thats a great idea Ric !! Good idea for getting the leaves out of the rads at this time of the year also.As most people have a garden blower these days !!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is not using the handbrake the solution? Can you guys tell me why this happening? I never had this problem with any of my Ferraris. All had ceramic brakes though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had this on various vehicles including caterham, Nissan GTR and 12C. I just try not to garage the car with wet discs and always go for a short run after washing. Seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is not using the handbrake the solution? Can you guys tell me why this happening? I never had this problem with any of my Ferraris. All had ceramic brakes though.
You answered your own question. Happens with high metallic content pads and steel rotors. They rust together!

·
Registered
964 Posts
My Porsche did exactly the same if left to stand after a wash, finally releasing its hold with a large bang!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My FGT does this (tho funnily enough its never happened with the Mac) . The solution is to drive the car a bit after the was to get rid of the water on the rotors amd pads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts