McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new Spider owner here. My car has orange leather seats and the seatbelts are marking the leather where they thread through at the top of the seat. I've used my usual leather cleaner but that didn't remove it all. I don't want to use anything too strong and find I'm taking leather dye with it. Anyone else had experience solving this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hi, new Spider owner here. My car has orange leather seats and the seatbelts are marking the leather where they thread through at the top of the seat. I've used my usual leather cleaner but that didn't remove it all. I don't want to use anything too strong and find I'm taking leather dye with it. Anyone else had experience solving this?
Have you tried saddle soap??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
No, but I will. Thanks for the suggestion. I've got an unopened tin somewhere. :)
Well I'm under the impression it should work, have you spoken to your McLaren dealer, to see if they have a recommendation as well a preventative. That's the one thing I don't like about light coloured leathers, there's a lot of it being used so there must be a viable solution or prevention that can be implemented. Cheers......??

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm under the impression it should work, have you spoken to your McLaren dealer, to see if they have a recommendation as well a preventative. That's the one thing I don't like about light coloured leathers, there's a lot of it being used so there must be a viable solution or prevention that can be implemented. Cheers......����
I emailed the dealer who was going to enquire.

I've got black leather in a couple of other cars. Never have this trouble with them. :D

·
Owner
893 Posts
I emailed the dealer who was going to enquire.

I've got black leather in a couple of other cars. Never have this trouble with them. :D
Well, black leather is a whole other ball game compared to lighter color leather. Also, are your seat belts blue ?? If that was some type of custom order ...... there is a possibility that the dye they used is transferring to your leather ?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, black leather is a whole other ball game compared to lighter color leather. Also, are your seat belts blue ?? If that was some type of custom order ...... there is a possibility that the dye they used is transferring to your leather ?
Belts are black.

McLaren tech is checking with Parts in case there is a mcLaren product but in the interim, recommends Autoglym.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After inspection, McLaren has agreed to replace the covers but only with the same again. To avoid the problem recurring, I've suggested replacing the covers with black outers and orange centres (available on the configurator) instead. McLaren will agree to my two-tone suggestion but will only replace the seat backs for free; they want to charge me thousands for black with orange seat cushions. The local rep says the factory thinks my clothes must be leaving dye on the belts which in turn are marking the seats. :rolleyes:

I've tried everything to clean the seats but the technician is sure the colour has been worn off the seats.

All in all, not great customer service.....:mad:

Here's my current config followed by my suggested replacement config.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Strange, I only noticed this on my car a week or so ago.

Seat1.jpg

Thought a quick clean with my usual leather cleaner would get rid of it.

Just tried it, but no!!

Colour in this picture a bit washed out, but a very definite stain.

Seat2.jpg

More worrying to me is how the leather is wearing away where I get in and out of the car.

Seat3.jpg

I know someone who repairs leather furniture, etc. and will see if he has any suggestions

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have the cream seats and so far the black mark has cleaned off each time.
I tend to clean and treat the seats each time I use the car after extended periods - ie trips away as I accepted that would be the case when having these coloured seats. I do find the blue marks on the base of the seat harder to remove.
I'll check and try and get a picture of the state of mine so far, so we can compare.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gents. I'm hoping to show Woking that it isn't an isolated issue so the more cars I can find, the better. I've told them I'll accept their offer to replace orange with orange - and will make another claim later if the problem recurs.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update. With encouragement from McLaren Sydney, Woking agreed to change my seat covers for black and orange. Problem solved.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts