McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of those FYI posts........
My 2019 570 didn't have the tire sealant when I purchased it (used from a Maserati dealer in Newport Beach). So I researched the options and found a sealant and tire pump kit that had excellent user ratings and is endorsed by many of the high end car brands....Audi, MB, Porsche. It's rated at 15 amps, which is fine to use for either 12V receptacle in the frunk or interior of the car. The long cord allows you to easily reach any of the tires. I tested it and it worked perfectly just putting air in the tire....you can use it just as an inflation pump or with the sealant. There are a lot of 12V tire pumps on the market that are junk. I'll keep this in the frunk just in case I pick up a nail and the tire deflates. This will at least get me home and I can figure things out from there. Attached pic details the brand and model.

Do you have a similar setup? The sealant that comes with the vehicle is fine but you also need an inflation pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree with firstkill. An air pump is certainly great to have but that liquid tire sealant is not good. If you are lucky it may get you out of a pinch at best. After that however the tire will need to be dismounted as there is fluid inside that will throw off the balance terribly. Alot of cleaning is then required, patch or plug tire then reinstall and rebalance. If you are willing and able to plug your tire on the side of the road it's a permanent repair. Air it up and continue on like nothing happened. Perhaps best to keep all of it in the car depending on the situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read that any high performance tire that has been plugged isn't necessarily safe at high speeds (130mph+). Personally, if I pick up a nail I would seal the tire with the sealant, inflate it, get home and start looking at tire replacement options. Tire plugs are fine for everyday driving, but I don't trust them at high speeds. IMO

·
Registered
417 Posts
I will take sealant, quick fix and on the road until I can get to a place that either can fix it or replace it.
I don’t have the patience to find the hole, plug it. Or worse, wait for a tow truck that can’t do anything but flat bed it.
It’s for
Emergencies(which a flat qualifies).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've read that any high performance tire that has been plugged isn't necessarily safe at high speeds (130mph+). Personally, if I pick up a nail I would seal the tire with the sealant, inflate it, get home and start looking at tire replacement options. Tire plugs are fine for everyday driving, but I don't trust them at high speeds. IMO
the sealants only work on the smallest of nails/screws. Otherwise the air pressure just spits out the sealant. (From experience). If your lucky and you catch the tire with the object still lodged it can work but it will mess up the tpms sensor.
Plugs seem to work longer and likely get you to point B safer. not much more difficult to install. Both still require an air compressor.

For canyon driving where you might not be able to call a tow truck. And a rock/stick or pothole might be the doom of the tire. Consider a plug kit. It’s cheap on amazon. And if you don’t open the glue can last for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts