McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know we have a lot of knowledgeable software and hardware contributors. So this is a question that my wife wants answering.....quickly and simply please:D

Whilst traveling yesterday she decided to put our destination into the Iris Nav menu. Expletives of a soft nature resulted. I looked down and she was trying to press the screen into the front boot ( trunk). So I unhelpfully said that it was a touch screen not a punch bag....ouch.

She has this trouble with her phone, mini tablet and Iris in that her fingers do not make the touch happen , so to speak, whereas I lightly touch and hey presto a screen response.

Is it an electricity issue......well why does she struggle to elicit a response and others have no problem?

Sensible and smartass answeres wellcome.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Sensible: Is it consistent across all fingers and both hands? Clearly in the 12c, it might be a bit hard to reach the screen in a comfortable way with the "door facing" hand :D. If she has very dry hands, is crazy with hand sanitizer or lotion, it could make it hard for the screen to register.

Smartass: Keep an eye on her, she may be turning into a zombie or a vampire :D

-nh4.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
My wife has the same problem with anything touch screen Ric,I know its not because she is a redhead as yours is a blondy,so I can only assume it is an aura that they put out that confuses anything mankind throws at them.I think it needs a womans touch in the hardware department to solve all these issues they have with electrical appliances,any women designers out there ?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sensible: Is it consistent across all fingers and both hands? Clearly in the 12c, it might be a bit hard to reach the screen in a comfortable way with the "door facing" hand :D. If she has very dry hands, is crazy with hand sanitizer or lotion, it could make it hard for the screen to register.

Smartass: Keep an eye on her, she may be turning into a zombie or a vampire :D

-nh4.
She says I'm the Zombie.......no hand lotion and index finger used I think.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if a press as opposed to a touch is the issue or, maybe, she needs to bite my neck......ahhhhhh

·
Registered
147 Posts
The old screen was a touch screen. This required pressing two separate layers together to register a touch. The new one is a capacitive screen (like an iPhone/iPad) and requires flesh (or flesh analogue) to register a touch, but requires much less pressure to do so.

I would make sure she's not using her nails (short or long) s that would have worked on the old system, and will not on the new one.

Lotions or oils will cause issues, but you already mentioned she doesn't use either of those. Super dry skin can also cause the screen to not register touches as well as a build up of static (either on the person or the screen).

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The old screen was a touch screen. This required pressing two separate layers together to register a touch. The new one is a capacitive screen (like an iPhone/iPad) and requires flesh (or flesh analogue) to register a touch, but requires much less pressure to do so.

I would make sure she's not using her nails (short or long) s that would have worked on the old system, and will not on the new one.

Lotions or oils will cause issues, but you already mentioned she doesn't use either of those. Super dry skin can also cause the screen to not register touches as well as a build up of static (either on the person or the screen).
Thanks uid0. Interesting, so pressing the old screen into next week should work but not for long, maybe. We have the original Iris installed

This capacitive stuff is much more responsive so I guess that will be OK. Her hair does not stick out a la Einstein so static must be under control most of the time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts