McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a technical question or anything. I’m just scared so I’m writing this.

How many “negative” people have you encountered with your cars?

I’ve had the usual people staring but making a very angry face and others that have asked me is this car little to you and patronizing me for getting the car.

But today I had the worst of them all. I was filling up at a busy gas station and this guy backed up on the other side and I thought he was just looking at the car. It took a while to fill up from empty, but as soon as we left, he left alongside as well. I’ve had the occasional follower before, but he cut across from the left side of the road three lanes to the right almost hitting me, and kept following for over 10 minutes. After another right turn at a secluded area, he followed again from the left, but this time turned onto the wrong side of the road, and started speeding up. I was scared enough as it is. We already made three right turns and he still was tailgating and we were the only cars on the wide road. I sped up to escape and managed to get on a freeway and take another interchange to get home. I’ve heard of people very aggressive towards these cars, but never experienced to this extent.

well there is my story of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Sucks you were harassed
With protesting. Riots. I haven’t taken my car out in a bit. But I’ve had 1 homeless people spit on my car in Arcadia. But usually it’s friendly encounter at gas stations or whatever.
The cellphone pic and swerving happens on occasion but that’s easy to react to.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sucks you were harassed
With protesting. Riots. I haven’t taken my car out in a bit. But I’ve had 1 homeless people spit on my car in Arcadia. But usually it’s friendly encounter at gas stations or whatever.
The cellphone pic and swerving happens on occasion but that’s easy to react to.
I heard the riots died down but near me there are no protests or riots. I wish it happened at a different gas station however. This was close to my house so I was worried a lot more than usual. I think I too have to be safe and keep my car home for a bit.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Yeah I hate it when you're riding around with some other people in your crew and maybe going a little fast and then you get some person in a jalopy who thinks they can hang with you and ride your bumper like to inches away
if they knew you would hit your brakes they would be toast and totalling your car

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I hate it when you're riding around with some other people in your crew and maybe going a little fast and then you get some person in a jalopy who thinks they can hang with you and ride your bumper like to inches away
if they knew you would hit your brakes they would be toast and totalling your car
That’s the thing though it was just my dad and I. I don’t drive fast on public roads and when this happened I was going 40 and accelerating very slowly. The person was waiting across almost ten minutes. At the first light it was a free right turn. I was stopped when he suddenly decided to dart across the lanes. My tank was empty so I just decided to go to my local gas station.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t go home but drive to the near police station or lose him quick!
This is exactly what I did, I knew something was up because he just waited in the middle of the lot looking at us and then drove up to us as we started. So I went the complete opposite direction from my house. Took a couple populated freeways and then got home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive heard of some scary situations with people in supercars getting followed. Whenever I see someone with a nice car, I make sure to gauge the situation always and respectfully ask them more about it. McLaren owners have def been the most kind and passionate to share their cars. just talked to a 720 s spider owner the other day, cool guy

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you drive around in a car that looks like a personal futuristic space ship and costs as much or more than the average house, you will be met with excitement, curiosity, wonder, joy, appreciation, envy, jealousy, spite....... And, then, there's raging hate - and all the baggage that comes with that. Oh, and let's not forget the carjacker. Be prepared, stay prepared.

·
Registered
135 Posts
One time in the city of Pittsburgh I was driving a Ferrari I had at the time and a black run down SUV pulled up along side and the passenger stuck a full milk shake out the window and threw it at my driver side windshield. Some people suck. I agree with another poster I haven’t driven anything fun near a city since the protests.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One time in the city of Pittsburgh I was driving a Ferrari I had at the time and a black run down SUV pulled up along side and the passenger stuck a full milk shake out the window and threw it at my driver side windshield. Some people suck. I agree with another poster I haven’t driven anything fun near a city since the protests.
Wow! What was your reaction?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yup, driving anything that looks like its fast generally gets you noticed...good or bad..good call trying to get some space. This year has so far had more negative stuff said to me (also while gassing up funny enough) than most other years, just add it to the 2020 was weird list.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yup, driving anything that looks like its fast generally gets you noticed...good or bad..good call trying to get some space. This year has so far had more negative stuff said to me (also while gassing up funny enough) than most other years, just add it to the 2020 was weird list.
Interesting. I have not encountered any negativity at the pump. In fact, quite the opposite. Anyhow, I think most people who are inclined to vent their hostility are afraid of the risk involved in face to face situations.

·
Premium Member
VR 675LTS
115 Posts
I would suggest picking up your phone and start recording whomever is harassing you. In this case, your dad could have done this and it usually has an immediate effect. If not, you've got some video evidence should something happen and then head toward a police station and/or flag down a police cruiser. Last resort, go into full evasive/escape mode making certain that you've made the stalker disappear.

Also, never go to your house if you are being followed, I've had to lose people near my home a few times and it's not fun. I've adapted by taking a more circuitous route to my home when I am a mile or two away. It gives me the opportunity to become very aware of the traffic behind me, notice anyone following me, cool down the turbos or extend the drive if I am being followed.

Stay safe.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have head nothing but good experiences so far. I was concerned about how people would react prior to purchase. Hopefully is stays friendly.

·
Owner
471 Posts
Holy Crap! Where do you live?
Here in Kansas City it is actually quite the opposite. All the interactions I have had with people have been very pleasant. At gas stations, I do get approached often but usually they are very polite and cordial. Short conversations and a few pics, but nothing out of the ordinary.
On the road, lots of thumbs up and waves.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Holy Crap! Where do you live?
Here in Kansas City it is actually quite the opposite. All the interactions I have had with people have been very pleasant. At gas stations, I do get approached often but usually they are very polite and cordial. Short conversations and a few pics, but nothing out of the ordinary.
On the road, lots of thumbs up and waves.
i agree with this.
I have never had a negative experience in all the years of ownership.
Im sure it happens, just not around me

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was confronted at a gas station by some guy who was clearly not stable, either on drugs or just mentally not there. He stomped on the hood of my car, a red Lambo Huracan.

I went over to see the damage and he sucker punched me while I was looking at the car, we ended up on the ground, some guy came over and broke us up.

Another time some guy in a BMW backed into my car, same lambo, while he was parking, I was sitting in my car and I honked as he got closer, he lightly tapped my front end. No damage. His car was a newer model so he had to have a back up sensor. He was apologetic and gave me his insurance info, but I didn't pursue it, I suspect it was intentional.

I'm definitely careful where I drive and avoid getting stuck in traffic if at all possible, it only takes one idiot in a busy area to cause you a problem if your'e a sitting duck in traffic.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts