McLaren Life banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Mclaren owners, I’m a new member and owner of a 2021 720s Spider
I ordered a Ryft exhaust for it and would like to know if anyone has it and if it made a difference
if the vehicle sounds significantly better any improvements
thank you for any input and information

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just a side note, and I am sure you have read some upgrade stories on the 720S. If you upgrade the exhaust, from what others have experienced you will void all warranty on your mclaren. Just wanted you to know since you are new, figured you would be best to know since you have a brand new one, and have 3 year warranty left.

With that said, as others (many) have upgraded to a different exhaust (with the voided warranty in mind) - make sure you update your turbo inlets as well (you can do a search) as these are often the weak point of failure if not updated.

My 2019 is out of warranty end of this year, and I am doing some upgrades - but my warranty is up anyway.

·
Registered
158 Posts
yes the ryft exhaust will make the car actually sound like an exotic now. There are a few companies that make a titanium X pipe they all sound great. The only exhaust I would never get for a 720 is Fabspeed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a side note, and I am sure you have read some upgrade stories on the 720S. If you upgrade the exhaust, from what others have experienced you will void all warranty on your mclaren. Just wanted you to know since you are new, figured you would be best to know since you have a brand new one, and have 3 year warranty left.

With that said, as others (many) have upgraded to a different exhaust (with the voided warranty in mind) - make sure you update your turbo inlets as well (you can do a search) as these are often the weak point of failure if not updated.

My 2019 is out of warranty end of this year, and I am doing some upgrades - but my warranty is up anyway.

Thanks for the side note, I actually called Mclaren of Houston today and spoke to the service manager he told me no harm to the warranty as long as only a cat back system is installed, I tried calling AutoTalent the place where I bought the exhaust, no answer from them, so I went to the source

·
Registered
159 Posts
unfortunately the dealer does not determine if it voids warranty or not. it is up to corporate.

If you don't want to listen to Ron who had extensive experience regarding this, then good luck to you IF something happens.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks for the side note, I actually called Mclaren of Houston today and spoke to the service manager he told me no harm to the warranty as long as only a cat back system is installed, I tried calling AutoTalent the place where I bought the exhaust, no answer from them, so I went to the source
Well this is wrong information. Look up a few posts by RonMath and you can see the saga, along with other posts. You will be 100% denied if you have any mods. There are posts about even non-related things no longer covered with exhaust mods. Not saying you should not do it, just want you to be aware if you do.. The dealers would likely still cover things like software updates, interior or things of that nature. But if you get a CEL or anything wrong with mechanicals - you will likely be denied any warranty (even if you think it is unrelated).

Once Ron had his saga, many of us decided to wait until warranty was up. (I was one of them). But as mentioned my warranty is up in December, will be doing a few things to mine (as I am keeping it for a while) - first thing I am doing is the turbo inlets from Pureturbo. I have them with me already (only 500 bucks) - as the turbo inlet failure is a common thing and outside warranty if it were to happen, is a pretty big deal. You should research that, and make that a part of the mod if/when you do it.

PS. The 720s was my first McLaren, I have had Lambo, Ferrari, Porsche as well, never an issue with coverage if you upgrade exhaust, etc. So this was new news to me when I was going to do some of the basics - like you. Was glad to have the information from this site on how McLaren will not cover most everything if you do any mods. I would have been blind to the fact, thinking they would be similar to the other exotic makers...

Here is one of the posts if you want to take a read:

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,745 Posts

That was my thread. My car is still stock, and honestly, from inside the car, I don't notice much of a difference. The Ryft exhaust sound was great at high RPM and wide open throttle from outside the car, but I could never hear that except when someone recorded video for me. It was also great going under freeway overpasses at high RPM with the windows down. It's a slightly higher pitch sound that the stock sports exhaust. For any real volume difference, you'll need to change the downpipes. I had 200 cell downpipes from Soul Performance. With the known issues with the turbo inlet pipes, I'd HIGHLY suggest you change to Pure Turbo inlets to avoid that costly issue mentioned above if you're changing downpipes.

Again, from inside the car, the sound quality and volume isn't noticeably different. But from outside the car, there is a definite improvement.

Is it worth sacrificing your warranty for? Only you can answer that question. But for me, I'm keeping my car stock and extending the warranty for peace of mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts