McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was drying underneath the air brake today and I discovered this. Wtf? Has anyone else had this problem?
As for history on the car, it was purchased and driven in Texas, no snow, no saltwater air.. Now it lives in New Jersey and doesn't even come out in the rain.
Curious, maybe lots of us have this, but never noticed because of its location.
It is ALL of the bolts

·
Registered
312 Posts
My car was built one year ago - these screws look like they just left the factory on mine.... maybe you wash your car too often ;)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mine are fine too.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I was drying underneath the air brake today and I discovered this. Wtf? Has anyone else had this problem?
As for history on the car, it was purchased and driven in Texas, no snow, no saltwater air.. Now it lives in New Jersey and doesn't even come out in the rain.
Curious, maybe lots of us have this, but never noticed because of its location.
It is ALL of the bolts
That's effffffed up!:mad:.......I'd be on full hate mode!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Just checked mine Blue,vin79 two hard winters and I must have washed off a few pounds of salt as a DD,pretty much as good as new! Its a bummer when a supplier lets you down with a sub-standard batch.
On a side note my Grills either side of the turning vane are very badly rusted! But this is a know fault of the early cars as the turning vane was originally mounted tight to them and the flexing caused the paint to rub and also the impounding of stones dosn,t help.But they are to be replaced at the next service with updated ones and the vane is then remounted so it stands just clear as they are on all current cars,problem solved.But your issue can only be batch related:(

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That's truly unfortunate yet resolvable and I'm sure that Mac will stand behind there product and resolve this minor issue. Yes it's freaking inconvenient but what can you say life is full of ups and downs, keep us posted on the resolution of your little problemo. Cheers....??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
If you blow out all the little nooks with compressed air, you will alleviate the chance of rust forming. :)
You got to have anal tendencies to be doing that kind of stuff, I just finished vacuuming my lawn. Hmmmmm I guess I could possible fit into that category. LOL....??

·
Registered
824 Posts
After your dealer has changed your bolts - free- you might like to use this:-

http://youtu.be/zCFwa0tmrjo

These are a lot cheaper in the US
I've got one and think it is over-rated.

If car has been detailed and highly polished, as mine was, works OK, but you still need to towel dry the final bit or it still leaves marks.

Using it on my other daily car, waste of time, as just doesn't blow the water away.

On the other hand, great for blowing away the dust in your house!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

If car has been detailed and highly polished, as mine was, works OK, but you still need to towel dry the final bit or it still leaves marks.

Using it on my other daily car, waste of time, as just doesn't blow the water away.

Hey for all you know it may good at over blowing duties. LMFAO??. Cheers...??

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
For my in'between washes (washing w/ already previously waxed/sealed finish), I often use a high-powered leaf-blower for my vehicles. It definitely works better in cooler temps (early/late in the day), in the shade, and on a cool(er) car surface. It cuts down on the wipe'down time in orders of magnitude. And if using softened/filtered water, there's never a single water spot ever.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Zippycar,

you might like this if water spots are your issue ...

http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-exterior/wash/400-litre-0ppm-car-washing-filter/

25l MB-118 is about £75 from http://www.daqua.co.uk/resins.htm

You can then just let the car air dry or use your blower ...Is your blower the 'Master Blaster' 8HP version?

HTH

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm no physicist, but I know empirically that this works because I have done it myself quite often. Take the nozzle off the hose, and at relatively low pressure, allow a smooth column of water to flow over the car starting with the roof. As the water slowly slides off, it leaves the surface practically dry. It has something to do with the surface tension of water binding up the loose droplets and pulling them away. Works best if car properly waxed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
****AN UPDATE****

As posted in another post, I just got back my 12c from McLaren Philadelphia, TOP NOTCH service, they treated my car as though it was one of their personal cars (that they were selling to their mom :) yes...that good!
Matt in service stated that he has not seen another car with this issue, and they were all replaced, and the area cleaned, now looks brand new. All under warranty, of course

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this dealer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts