McLaren Life banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Doing some due diligence on the car with a view to picking one up after a bit of depreciation has done its work.

Was also looking at the new Gen5 Viper..

The 12C looks eminently more sensible if running costs are sensible.

Can anyone shed light on the cost of pads and rotors for the steel brakes?

Also any comments on other consumables (other than tyres). Filters, Belts, Hoses etc?

I realise the marque is still under warranty, but I intend to be a long term owner who racks up considerable miles. Circa 15,000 miles PA.

Service costs seem ok as do the insurance costs.

Though I must admit to some fright at the price of the Ceramic Brakes noted in a recent post.

Any help and guidance appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy,
I did speak to a sales guy at one of the local dealers, but he couldnt tell me anything useful.
I did get the number for the service guy, but wanted to hear what the owners said before getting the official line.
Things are looking pretty good though so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you buy from McLaren dealer they give a 2 year "qualified used" warranty.
Ive noticed that a few gearboxes have gone west. Mostly under warranty, but one chap may have to pay for a replacement.
I was given the number of the London service manager to allow me to get a few indicative prices to make sure that as a long term owner I can afford to run one.
I was going to ask about replacement/exchange engine, gearbox, rotors, ecu and a headlight unit.
Not because I think the ecu or headlight will fail, but to give an idea on service costs.
Oh also a rear wheel.
Im going to also ask about bushings, tie rod ends, wheel bearings etc.

Service costs are around £1200 PA with the £60k mile service requiring plug changes and a few extra things, so cost will be higher.

But as we all know servicing is not what costs the money, rather the replacement of worn parts.

Im sure most guys dont mind, but if Im buying Im holding for the long term so these costs will be part and parcel of ownership. Hence my need to know :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing if you keep up the warrenty,clutch life on DSG gearboxes is as long as the gearbox lasts,they are confidant that the engine and gearbox will last for the life of the car,ie 200k plus.There have been a few failures ,but as a percentage far fewer than ant other exotic,no belts as everything is direct drive.The biggest long term problems i would suggest are the hinges and fastenings and locks,as these can only be sourced at a certain quality due to the limited runs,so im confidant that long term ownership sould be reasonable.
Warranty is limited to 2 years now. So the question of how costs run after that point are important for anyone intending to hold for an extended period.
So your comments are only valid in the short term with regards to cost.

Of course its too soon to draw any long term conclusions hence my quest for more clarity around costs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Indeed, an extended warranty would be very good.
If Mclaren were confident in their vechicles they would do extended warranties without a seconds thought.
Afterall its money for jam.

... the cost should also be very reasonable.

Otherwise the lack of an extended warranty, or a very expensive one would tell a story in itself..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts