McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Doing some due diligence on the car with a view to picking one up after a bit of depreciation has done its work.

Was also looking at the new Gen5 Viper..

The 12C looks eminently more sensible if running costs are sensible.

Can anyone shed light on the cost of pads and rotors for the steel brakes?

Also any comments on other consumables (other than tyres). Filters, Belts, Hoses etc?

I realise the marque is still under warranty, but I intend to be a long term owner who racks up considerable miles. Circa 15,000 miles PA.

Service costs seem ok as do the insurance costs.

Though I must admit to some fright at the price of the Ceramic Brakes noted in a recent post.

Any help and guidance appreciated.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Hello all,

Doing some due diligence on the car with a view to picking one up after a bit of depreciation has done its work.

Was also looking at the new Gen5 Viper..

The 12C looks eminently more sensible if running costs are sensible.

Can anyone shed light on the cost of pads and rotors for the steel brakes?

Also any comments on other consumables (other than tyres). Filters, Belts, Hoses etc?

I realise the marque is still under warranty, but I intend to be a long term owner who racks up considerable miles. Circa 15,000 miles PA.

Service costs seem ok as do the insurance costs.

Though I must admit to some fright at the price of the Ceramic Brakes noted in a recent post.

Any help and guidance appreciated.
Coming up for my 2nd service soon, and the steel brakes are lasting far longer than on any of my Porsches,but no costs yet,as for belts everthing is direct drive so no maintanence there!! There are no major costs if you keep the service up,first 10k miles was £1200,then 20k is more because of the fluid change in the hydralics,then back to a minor service at 30k.
Most parts have just had a price rise,but it would be easy for you just to ring the parts dept for a price.For my thoughts for a supercar if you factor in the sevice and an extended warrenty it will not be an expensive car to do high milage in as many of your miles will not put any stress on this quality of workmanship .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy,
I did speak to a sales guy at one of the local dealers, but he couldnt tell me anything useful.
I did get the number for the service guy, but wanted to hear what the owners said before getting the official line.
Things are looking pretty good though so far.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Welcome.
Andy has been an owner longer than me (haven't you had 2 sets of pads Andy?) I've not long had my first service which was £1100 plus vat I think. As an example re pads, there are front sets of EBC Yellow Stuff pads available for about £120 but I don't know how good they are for the 12C. I know plenty of people use them on other cars for fast road, unsure about track.
Anyway, whereabouts in Herts are you? I'm near Kings Langley, when you're closer to buying let me know and we can meet for a coffee or summat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A full set of Iron Rotors is about $3200 US from the factory. Pads interchange with other cars, as they are standard AP racing units, but you will have to bypass the pad wear detector.

I have a set of custom made slotted (not drilled) rotors coming and will be evaluating the EBC Orange and Blue compounds for the car and will advise. If I like this setup, I'll probably offer the rotors via my little motorsport business and the price will be under half of list OEM.. I can probably do drilled rotors for the poseurs if they realy want that.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
A full set of Iron Rotors is about $3200 US from the factory. Pads interchange with other cars, as they are standard AP racing units, but you will have to bypass the pad wear detector.

I have a set of custom made slotted (not drilled) rotors coming and will be evaluating the EBC Orange and Blue compounds for the car and will advise. If I like this setup, I'll probably offer the rotors via my little motorsport business and the price will be under half of list OEM.. I can probably do drilled rotors for the poseurs if they realy want that.
Sounds interesting, I don't feel the need for holes. Is the orangestuff recommended track only still?

·
Registered
81 Posts

I'd be interested. No holes for me either, they just crack faster after track use.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Perfect... I came on here to look about at service costs after I passed ( in the opposite direction!) an MP4 yesterday. Very nice looking car on the road too...

So how long is the MP4's in warranty and what's the service schedule like over the years?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Perfect... I came on here to look about at service costs after I passed ( in the opposite direction!) an MP4 yesterday. Very nice looking car on the road too...

So how long is the MP4's in warranty and what's the service schedule like over the years?
3 years warranty,service once a year or every 10k miles,first service minor and 2nd service major at maybe £2k ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you buy from McLaren dealer they give a 2 year "qualified used" warranty.
Ive noticed that a few gearboxes have gone west. Mostly under warranty, but one chap may have to pay for a replacement.
I was given the number of the London service manager to allow me to get a few indicative prices to make sure that as a long term owner I can afford to run one.
I was going to ask about replacement/exchange engine, gearbox, rotors, ecu and a headlight unit.
Not because I think the ecu or headlight will fail, but to give an idea on service costs.
Oh also a rear wheel.
Im going to also ask about bushings, tie rod ends, wheel bearings etc.

Service costs are around £1200 PA with the £60k mile service requiring plug changes and a few extra things, so cost will be higher.

But as we all know servicing is not what costs the money, rather the replacement of worn parts.

Im sure most guys dont mind, but if Im buying Im holding for the long term so these costs will be part and parcel of ownership. Hence my need to know :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks for that Andy, any nasties to look out for, how about clutch life, etc?
Nothing if you keep up the warrenty,clutch life on DSG gearboxes is as long as the gearbox lasts,they are confidant that the engine and gearbox will last for the life of the car,ie 200k plus.There have been a few failures ,but as a percentage far fewer than ant other exotic,no belts as everything is direct drive.The biggest long term problems i would suggest are the hinges and fastenings and locks,as these can only be sourced at a certain quality due to the limited runs,so im confidant that long term ownership sould be reasonable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing if you keep up the warrenty,clutch life on DSG gearboxes is as long as the gearbox lasts,they are confidant that the engine and gearbox will last for the life of the car,ie 200k plus.There have been a few failures ,but as a percentage far fewer than ant other exotic,no belts as everything is direct drive.The biggest long term problems i would suggest are the hinges and fastenings and locks,as these can only be sourced at a certain quality due to the limited runs,so im confidant that long term ownership sould be reasonable.
Warranty is limited to 2 years now. So the question of how costs run after that point are important for anyone intending to hold for an extended period.
So your comments are only valid in the short term with regards to cost.

Of course its too soon to draw any long term conclusions hence my quest for more clarity around costs.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Warranty is limited to 2 years now. So the question of how costs run after that point are important for anyone intending to hold for an extended period.

Of course its too soon to draw any long term conclusions hence my quest for more clarity around costs.
I was told they would be doing an extended warrenty,and its 3 years for a new car,if this is what you have been told then I will have to check it.

Ok,approved car comes with a minimum of 2 years,not just 2 years,so if you where buying a 2013 jan car,you would still get the remaining warrenty,a September 2011 would get 2 years,but in reality that's more than 3 years from the original.
As for extended over 3 years,that being looked at at the moment,which is important to early owners as they wouldn't want to try an sell a car with only 6 months left by December this year??!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indeed, an extended warranty would be very good.
If Mclaren were confident in their vechicles they would do extended warranties without a seconds thought.
Afterall its money for jam.

... the cost should also be very reasonable.

Otherwise the lack of an extended warranty, or a very expensive one would tell a story in itself..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

What do you mean, the warranty is limited to two years?

Edit; seen Andy's answer now.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Indeed, an extended warranty would be very good.
If Mclaren were confident in their vechicles they would do extended warranties without a seconds thought.
Afterall its money for jam.

... the cost should also be very reasonable.

Otherwise the lack of an extended warranty, or a very expensive one would tell a story in itself..
Extended warrenties will available in 2014,the cost of front discs are £440 and £220 for pads,these are expected to be replaced on the 2nd 20k mile service.Hope that helps you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts