McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here have the appropriate knowledge to answer for genuine fact if it's possible to ship a UK 12C to the USA and drive it there on a very temporary basis without any fuel related issues?

I'm led to believe from an import situation all is fine and that as it's purely a week or two there are no complicated legalities other than some paperwork, but what I'm a little confused about is whether you can just use the same fuel or if some super clever system is needed for that?

Many thanks

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Does anybody here have the appropriate knowledge to answer for genuine fact if it's possible to ship a UK 12C to the USA and drive it there on a very temporary basis without any fuel related issues?

I'm led to believe from an import situation all is fine and that as it's purely a week or two there are no complicated legalities other than some paperwork, but what I'm a little confused about is whether you can just use the same fuel or if some super clever system is needed for that?

Many thanks
Can't believe youd have a problem shmee. To all intents and purposes it's the same s**t octane wise and distillation.. small d7fferences in vaporization .. the u.s. quotes their octane as r+m/ 2 so the super you put in, 98 or above in the UK is 93 in the US (98+88/2)

It's actually marginally cleaner in the u.s. less benzene and so forth and a little more alcohol

·
Registered
83 Posts
why don't you write to MclarenPhiladelphia ( lots of videos on You Tube ) - they are excellent and would give you a definitive answer and help if you are importing through Baltimore and Newark as they are half way between - don't think fuel is an issue - the DMV here are not great so paperwork will be a challenge ( maybe get a broker to do it ) and as long as you have a plan to export it again you should be good to go !

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Na, it's shit cheap gas in the States, not called petrol. However we ship our bikes over there and they work no problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Beats me why anyone can call a liquid GAS.What am I not seeing here :D
Andy - You're familiar with what we call football over here, right? It makes perfect sense. :D

-Jamie.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Is that the game where you score with a 'touchdown' which involves nothing of the sort?:D
Your location may say Switzerland, France, UK but I think you get the nonsense on this side of the pond perfectly well!

-Jamie.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Now I see,is goes for F$nny too,your a mixed up bunch ;):)
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

- Winston Churchill.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

- Winston Churchill.
His book of quotes will have you in tears,the man was a genius ............

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
His book of quotes will have you in tears,the man was a genius ............
The genius must have come from his mother's side :D

Kidding aside, I love Churchill's quotes!

-Jamie.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Every state has different octane - some higher some lower.

The higher compression requires higher octane - on average the US is 5-10 percent lower.

Bringing a car over ... the thought gives me a headache.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Just think of those whom do the opposite, take European delivery of their automobile & travel the continent for awhile then get their vehicle shipped to the states for final collection.

* Every state has different octane - some higher some lower.

*octane - on average the US is 5-10 percent lower.
Where did you get those points from? Anectdotal? Not being argumentative, but rather curious... :D

I do know that ethanol amount varies from state-to-state (even county-to-county).

Also, 85-Octane and 91-Octane and 94-Octane (Sunoco) are available in certain regions/markets, alongside the usual 87-Octane/regular, 89-Octane/plus, 93-Octane/super.

I believe 91-Octane/premium is what most luxury/performance manufacturers call for in terms of refueling.

I'd think "tier-1" brand (Shell, Chevron/Texaco, BP, Exxon/Mobil, Sunoco) with 93-Octane would be fine for an Euro-spec 12C.

Good explanation on the Euro / North American Octange-ratings, MikeyB.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Every state has different octane - some higher some lower.

The higher compression requires higher octane - on average the US is 5-10 percent lower.

Bringing a car over ... the thought gives me a headache.
Octane is octane Doug. As long as you pick the right grade, no wiggle room !

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That will go over most peoples heads narinja !! Still on with my quest for you,dont give up hope ;)
Sorry, wrong dog.

Would never give up on you Andy. McLaren may owe me some goodwill as my car is in at Sevenoaks with a smashed nearside window at the moment. Sad face.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts