McLaren Life banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 600LT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering retrofitting my 600lt with an MSO roof scoop. I have a few questions to owners (or those who have knowledge of roof scoops in a 600lt)

1. I know that part of the benefit is the aural experience within the car but is it loud? Could you have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat without having to yell? Does it get old as in do you drive on the highway and wish you could turn down the noise (e.g. exhaust drone)? - confession: I'm not sure if I've gotten to old but I have a capristo exhaust on my R8 v10 manual and wish it was more quiet most of the time especially when I have a passenger with me and I installed a fabspeed exhaust onto my GT4 and took it off after about 1 week as it was too loud
2. Where does the scoop terminate in the engine bay? Does it terminate at the firewall and feed air into the general engine bay or does it feed directly into the air filter boxes or somehow to the turbos? I realize the latter part of this question may seem dumb but I've never actually opened my engine bay myself and examined it...
3. Is it any different on the track? With a helmet on, does it add to the experience?

Thanks in advance for the responses

·
Registered
2019 600LT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a $46k usd option I think ($30k for the snorkel, $15k for the carbon side roof part) so yes, the retrofit will cost about the same if I have it done by my local bodyshop or about $100k if done by mso

·
Registered
77 Posts
It’s far cheaper to sell your 600LT and pick up a 620R. That also gets you the carbon interior panel behind the seats for roughly the same money as aftermarket or about half the MSO cost.
Now… to your questions.

1. I know that part of the benefit is the aural experience within the car but is it loud? Could you have a conversation with someone in the passenger seat without having to yell? Does it get old as in do you drive on the highway and wish you could turn down the noise (e.g. exhaust drone)? - confession: I'm not sure if I've gotten to old but I have a capristo exhaust on my R8 v10 manual and wish it was more quiet most of the time especially when I have a passenger with me and I installed a fabspeed exhaust onto my GT4 and took it off after about 1 week as it was too loud
2. Where does the scoop terminate in the engine bay? Does it terminate at the firewall and feed air into the general engine bay or does it feed directly into the air filter boxes or somehow to the turbos? I realize the latter part of this question may seem dumb but I've never actually opened my engine bay myself and examined it...
It doesn’t change things much off throttle. The scoop runs directly to the intakes on each side so once you’re on throttle you get a lot, really it’s a lot, more intake noise.

It will be troublesome for conversations if you’re driving uphill under load a lot. But the non-scoop car isn’t great for that either IMO.

3. Is it any different on the track? With a helmet on, does it add to the experience?

Thanks in advance for the responses
Yes, it does. But not so much if you wear earplugs for comms.

·
Registered
2019 600LT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I personally like the look of the 600lt over the 620r so I wouldn't make that trade. However, trading in for a snorkel 600lt may be the better option rather than retrofitting.

@ImHuntingWabbits, so the snorkel tubing end directly into the intake? The shop in LA that has done a retrofit told me they terminated at the firewall so the air simply enters the engine bay, which doesn't sound as functional as terminating directly into intake. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I personally like the look of the 600lt over the 620r so I wouldn't make that trade. However, trading in for a snorkel 600lt may be the better option rather than retrofitting.
This is the route that was recommended to me by my dealer. I track the car a lot and the 620R is a bit more expensive to run than the 600LT. Find a scooped car in a spec you like and trade.

@ImHuntingWabbits, so the snorkel tubing end directly into the intake? The shop in LA that has done a retrofit told me they terminated at the firewall so the air simply enters the engine bay, which doesn't sound as functional as terminating directly into intake. Thanks for all the info
Yes, this is the main difference between the aftermarket installs and having it done with McLaren / MSO. There are a few different scoops that I know of on McLaren models:

675LT: Intake scoop, routes directly in to the intake for the engine.
600LT: Intake scoop
765LT: Cooling scoop, feeds air in to the engine bay, I'm not sure if it routes to specific coolers or not.

With the factory 600LT scoop holes are cut in the firewall and additional plumbing is added / changed in the engine bay to route to the filters. It's not clear to me if they just eliminate the pipe from the side intake, or add an additional one but your dealer can give you all the details.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think you are much better off buying a scoop coupe 600LT than retrofitting. They come up for sale from time to time and the price difference isn't as much as the original option. I have one and it's great. I was sold enough to get a coupe instead of a spider. The sound it awesome when you want it to, under non-100% load it will cause a ruckus. Running in auto mode on the freeway will be quiet except when climbing a small incline which will cause the whine.

Splits exit behind both seats, don't obstruct rear view at all, direct intake to engine, totally awesome.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are a few with scoops on the market. A nice papaya spark orange just popped up on the market (autotrader) a few days ago with pretty low miles. It is highly optioned, has orange interior if you don't mind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts