McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
As much as I don't like him, I have to admit that this is extremely professional. I doubt other manufacturers have or would ever do such a thing. Obviously has he is building up the sports car brand he has to do a lot more than the other but this is pretty impressive.

Did anyone in here really receive this letter?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That is typical of Ron Dennis, face up to the issue, acknowledge it, commit to a plan of action, more, more , more, better, better, better.

Bravo Mclaren

Well done Ron, now get it sorted.......

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
As much as I don't like him, I have to admit that this is extremely professional. I doubt other manufacturers have or would ever do such a thing. Obviously has he is building up the sports car brand he has to do a lot more than the other but this is pretty impressive.

Did anyone in here really receive this letter?
Everyone who has a car got this letter,i felt at the time it was addressed to me personally and hand signed by Ron,so didnt feel it was my place to broadcast it

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Good stuff. And, yes, the right thing to do: Own up to your shortcomings and address them sincerely.

Of course, much more critical to do when you are a start-up. But, let's hope the practice continues as the company grows bigger and complacency would normally set in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Im Sorry i don't get this
Big Ron gets his PR people ( who up till now have done a crap job ) to write a letter to owners, throws in a book praising his company and you all think he's a great bloke. What about all the depositers who are waiting for cars and not being told a thing. No offence, but the way you are all going on I should be grateful that Mclaren have deemed my £200K worthy of one of their cars. I hoped Mclaren would be different, but they are not, sure the salesmen are friendly but then so would I be if in my business customers gave me large sums of money and I did not have to tell them when I would be delivering the product, let alone a fully working one. I along with most people here work hard for my money, how are all these problems going to affect residuals.
I am a big Mclaren fan, but a £200K product no matter who makes it should be better. Only Ron and his people are to blame, they signed the car off in their quest to get the cash till rolling and keep their investors happy, They set the delivery schedule, I was meant to get mine in June now possibly December but still not fully functioning.
If I delivered this level of service and product to my customers I'd be out of business

·
Registered
7 Posts
Big Ron gets his PR people ( who up till now have done a crap job ) to write a letter to owners, throws in a book praising his company and you all think he's a great bloke. What about all the depositers who are waiting for cars and not being told a thing. No offence, but the way you are all going on I should be grateful that Mclaren have deemed my £200K worthy of one of their cars. I hoped Mclaren would be different, but they are not, sure the salesmen are friendly but then so would I be if in my business customers gave me large sums of money and I did not have to tell them when I would be delivering the product, let alone a fully working one. I along with most people here work hard for my money, how are all these problems going to affect residuals.
I am a big Mclaren fan, but a £200K product no matter who makes it should be better. Only Ron and his people are to blame, they signed the car off in their quest to get the cash till rolling and keep their investors happy, They set the delivery schedule, I was meant to get mine in June now possibly December but still not fully functioning.
If I delivered this level of service and product to my customers I'd be out of business
Don't get me wrong....I am not saying that they are doing well in general but only in this specific instance it is pretty good PR. Obviously the shortcomings and the whole debacle over the various software problems and delays in delivery are not acceptable but at least they have done something for one of the problems.

I would be amazed if a lot of people haven't cancelled their order having delivery being postponed by 6 months or more. Has anyone cancelled their order for this reason?

·
Registered
983 Posts
360, I concur with you, though I'm withholding full judgement until I finally drive the car next week. Month after month, it's another new concern or three, and less and less communication with the dealers.

I am, like everyone here, excited to be part of the McLaren family, but not at any cost. That 7 year warranty on the 458 is sounding more and more appealing...

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Seems very clear to me that Ron is taking full responsibilty in the letter. He doesn't even mention Japan or any issues with suppliers. What exactly do you want, as compensation? If you want a discount, or your deposit back, then just demand it. If you had a delivery date promised in writing, then you should have some legal recourse.

·
Registered
617 Posts
letter received today, but no precise delay announced
that was the version for the "very soon " next owner (didnt mention the come back to the dealer, but the rest of the text is the same)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Seems very clear to me that Ron is taking full responsibilty in the letter. He doesn't even mention Japan or any issues with suppliers. What exactly do you want, as compensation? If you want a discount, or your deposit back, then just demand it. If you had a delivery date promised in writing, then you should have some legal recourse.
It is right that he takes the blame, I don't care where he gets his components from that is his concern, I am sure if he were more concerned with customers than profit many of these issues would have either never have arisen or they would have been solved by now, they have been going on about this Iris system for nearly a year now telling me how hard it is to turn a sat nav to portrait instead of traditional landscape as I told the head of European sales "buy an I phone ". I truly feel this whole Iris thing was a smoke screen for all the other problems that they knew about and hoped to solve before delivery. They have "mislead " depositors in my opinion and have relied on the British car nut to not complain to much, if the cars hit the US in anything like the state they are now they may as well hang a for sale sign on the factory gate as the US customer will not put up with it or buy into the " Mclaren family " thing and why should they.
I just bought a new Range Rover great infotainment system in it at a fraction of the cost of a Mclaren all works as promised despite the problems in Japan.
Come on Mclaren treat us as inteligent humans instead of the contempt you seem to hold us in, be honest. If you feel you need a further 6 month to finalise this car then fine tell me, give me the option of an opt out or an incentive to stay, say GP tickets, driver training days etc but comunicate. The dealers seem as much in the dark as the rest of us, without faithful customers it will be a hard struggle in the future

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
DITTO.........a free 'book' for a $250K car that was supposed to be BEST in class and a game changer. WTF give me a break.....Calitalia was right; gonna wait for PORSCHE to show the real game changer!!!!! What a HUGE let down......McLemon might not be that far off after all!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have also been waiting and delivery is delayed like the rest here. I can understand the unhappiness and you have every right given the lack of info and delay. While the letter from Ron is a nice touch, for some it's still not good enough. I have decided to just wait and not let it bother me too much. I expected some issues as it's their first mass production car.My 458 was also one of the earlier cars and when i heard of it going up in smoke, i was obviously worried but i kept confidence in Ferrari to solve this and now this problem is behind them. So relax be patient, enjoy your current ride, McLaren will solve their problems like Ferrari did and life goes on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
No idea what other infotainment systems use but I do know from experience that software development can be a total b****.

Very hard to accurately predict how long it takes and bugs are inevitable no matter how hard you try.

Without wanting to start a whole m$ vs Apple or Unix debate I must say that running stuff on an M$ OS in a car is NOT something that personally puts my mind at ease and wifi is not something I am personally interested in either. PCs are not actually that reliable.

Probably a bit premature to expect answers given that it is not out in the wild yet but does anyone know if IRIS plays FLAC files?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No idea what other infotainment systems use but I do know from experience that software development can be a total b****.

Very hard to accurately predict how long it takes and bugs are inevitable no matter how hard you try.

Without wanting to start a whole m$ vs Apple or Unix debate I must say that running stuff on an M$ OS in a car is NOT something that personally puts my mind at ease and wifi is not something I am personally interested in either. PCs are not actually that reliable.

Probably a bit premature to expect answers given that it is not out in the wild yet but does anyone know if IRIS plays FLAC files?
Yes, software is my business, too. It is not predictable! When I heard they had to go with a whole new supplier for IRIS... man, I can't imagine starting from scratch.

Also anxious re: MS, but I figure they have collaborated on the FIA ECU, so they have history together. From a recent job posting, it seems based on the same version of the O/S as Ford Sync, which has been a successful system.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have asked the same and also whether it will play Iplayer encoded music downloaded onto the hard drive and not via an Ipod, but no answer yet.

Would be pretty miffed if a system heralded as so groundbreaking couldn't tackle lossless or ITunes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Would be pretty miffed if a system heralded as so groundbreaking couldn't tackle lossless or ITunes.
Agreed. Why go through the trouble of having a high end audio brand make a bespoke sound system if it could only play mp3s?

I would however not be surprised if FLAC support only shows up once enough owners have asked for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I mostly agree.

I'd be happier if McLaren Automotive kept me informed about problems and delivery delays. They have my e-mail address. It would be easy enough to send me (and all the other people waiting for cars) updates on the production schedule.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i compleatly understand everyones concerns, and some if not most are justified, but i think we may be being a little harsh. I know everytime my S550 goes in for service several systems get "software upgrades" and its been in production since 2005, so give me a break with "suprised" crap. I know from personal experiance that once anyone has spent a day or two in the 12C you wont give a toss about the radio not working perfectly, the smile on you face and the comfort of your spine will make you think of nothing but the joy that is the
12C.
I think Rons letter, while a little cheesy is an honarable thing to do. They are facing the problems head on and dealing with it, not passing blame onto others or owners.
When the ring gear on my 360 came through the gearbox because Ferrari only put 3 bolts in it, i didnt get a sorry letter, just a new gearbox, clutch and a big bill, oh but they did tell me it was ok now because it has 6 bolts.. so known design fault and i pick up the check, nice!!

Of course there are a couple of alternatives, there is nothing to stop anyone here having an idea for a vehicle, getting it designed, making prototypes, building a factory, employing a few thousand staff, manufacturing said car, and then selling and delivering a perfect product. No other vehicle brand has ever managed it, so who in their right mind could expect McLaren to do it. But i would bet the farm on one thing, if anyone could get close it will be McLaren.
I bet Tesla and Fisker are begging for a two year order book

1 - 20 of 22 Posts