McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody watch? Freaking epic race. Both DP and GT classes came down to the last few laps! So impressed by Audi R8, they came within half a lap of fuel of sweeping the GT podium! Their customer racing program is off to an amazing start State-side.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to watch this great event. I did how ever watch the highlights, and must admit it must have been one nail biting on the edge of your sit race to watch. You got to love a race that is that competitive which comes down to the wire, it just adds that extra level of excitement. Once again 6th you are on the ball. Cheers....??

·
Registered
380 Posts
It was a terrific race.
The Rolex GrandAM rules made a big difference. At Le Mans, when there is a full course caution, they split the entire field in half and separate the two packs by half the track whenever there is a full course caution, which destroys competition.
At Daytona, when there is a full course caution they take all of the DP cars and put them nose to tail and all of the GT cars and puts them nose to tail about 20 car lengths behind the DP train. Then they drop the green flag and hell breaks loose -- -- it's a new race. (Mitch: Straighten me out if I got any of that slightly wrong.)
I would have thought this was a bad idea, but having seen it, I'm convinced that it is the way to put on a great show. I'm hooked.
Also, Wayne Taylor was terrific. What a competitive and passionate guy. Definitely someone you want leading your team and carrying your brand.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to watch this great event. I did how ever watch the highlights, and must admit it must have been one nail biting on the edge of your sit race to watch. You got to love a race that is that competitive which comes down to the wire, it just adds that extra level of excitement. Once again 6th you are on the ball. Cheers....??
See if you can find a replay of the last hour. There was a battle between Rast in the R8 and Lazarro in the 458 that was brilliant. The Ferrari had a huge top speed advantage and passed on the banking each lap, but the Audi was better on the brakes and in the corners and just kept running him down in the infield for several laps in a row. Wicked stuff. Almendinger and his team drove their arses off trying to catch the 01. Between him and Montoya, I've never seen DP cars oversteer so much. They were throwing those things around! I also thought the Corvette DPs showed very well for how young that program is (and gaddamn do they sound good).

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a terrific race.
The Rolex GrandAM rules made a big difference. At Le Mans, when there is a full course caution, they split the entire field in half and separate the two packs by half the track whenever there is a full course caution, which destroys competition.
At Daytona, when there is a full course caution they take all of the DP cars and put them nose to tail and all of the GT cars and puts them nose to tail about 20 car lengths behind the DP train. Then they drop the green flag and hell breaks loose -- -- it's a new race. (Mitch: Straighten me out if I got any of that slightly wrong.)
I would have thought this was a bad idea, but having seen it, I'm convinced that it is the way to put on a great show. I'm hooked.
Also, Wayne Taylor was terrific. What a competitive and passionate guy. Definitely someone you want leading your team and carrying your brand.
+1 to all u said George! Yes I loved Taylor's passion; I was so nervous for them!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It was a terrific race.
Well since you asked....the ACO runs 2 safety cars at Le Mans because the track is ~13km long, not just under 6km like Daytona. Shorter track = no need for a second safety car. The idea is that by having 2 safety cars there are less cars going fast trying to catch up to the safety car train under yellow flag periods and that's why it's done.

That said, Code 60 should replace the safety car imo.

As for the Grand-Am safety car periods, there's no distance split that I know of between the DPs and GTs, they just wave around the DPs to have each class separate (so as not to affect the in class battles) with DPs behind the safety car and the GTs behind them.

I did watch the race, all 24 hours of it, and besides the fog rolling in I enjoyed it greatly and that finish was absolutely amazing, I was hoping the #10 Corvette DP would try run on fumes to the end and was kinda sad when it came in to pit...great work however by the #01 crew to keep that car fighting for the win.

GT, oh god that was exciting, just a shame the Audi's couldn't get a 1-2-3 finish. No-one would have bet on a finish like that after their performance at last years' Daytona 24...

48 hours of endurance racing watched so far, bring on Bathurst!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I watched about 1/2 of it.

A couple of years ago - I went to watch the race with a group of guys. I must have watched 18-19 hours of the race. The rest of the guys who had been there multiple times thought I was crazy! I will see if I can find some pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts