McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I 'kissed' a curb and got road rash on my Lightweight rims. Luckily, it was just the rims and nothing more. McLaren Phili says they can fix it for a reasonable price, and I'm having them do so.

But I figured now may be a good time to buy a set of 2nd rims for winter use, and maybe swap the road rash rims onto the winter set.

I wanted to get the lightweight 1 rims in diamond cut, and was quoted $14+k on them, while the lightweight II rims in diamond cut 'only' cost $10k.

(1) Anyone have thoughts why the disparity? Mclaren Phili said the lightweight 1 rims in diamond cut were more rare so it's a supply/demand thing. Which I guess sounds reasonable.

(2) Anyone have experience with fixing road rash and how well did the results come out. If it comes out like new, maybe I can forgo the rims for a bit fo time...

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
$4k, for diamond cutting!!! I had mine stone baked and diamond cut for$1200 ,but I had to put the effort in,not a problem as I had the time,but if time is money maybe its worth that much extra :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$4k, for diamond cutting!!! I had mine stone baked and diamond cut for$1200 ,but I had to put the effort in,not a problem as I had the time,but if time is money maybe its worth that much extra :)
Both are diamond cut. The lightweight model 1 rims are basically mine like in the photos (just in diamond cut). The lightweight model 2 rims look more like flower petals. Theya re also diamond cut, just a different shape. Unfortunately for me, I like the model 1s more. Apparently the model 2s are the new 2013 model/shape.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Both are diamond cut. The lightweight model 1 rims are basically mine like in the photos (just in diamond cut). The lightweight model 2 rims look more like flower petals. Theya re also diamond cut, just a different shape. Unfortunately for me, I like the model 1s more. Apparently the model 2s are the new 2013 model/shape.
So the old style rims like yours (and mine) are more expensive than the petal ones (new style) I wonder why that would be ??.Still might be worth finding a second hand set of lightweights and polishing them !!

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
(2) Anyone have experience with fixing road rash and how well did the results come out. If it comes out like new, maybe I can forgo the rims for a bit fo time...
Aluminum alloy wheels can be restored to "brand-new" in terms of curbside cosmetic appeal, from curb-rash & blemishes. Just look into a recommended mobile wheel repair service in your area (generally speaking, a high-end dealership can recommend who they use). It'll be less than half-a-day repair at your place at your convenience, properly color-matched & sealed finish after addressing the scratches, gouges, rashes, etc.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
One thing to mention, I was told quite clearly when I got my car that Mclaren was quite precious about paint on both the car and the wheels and there might well be a warranty issue if you refurb them outside of the dealers.....

Refurbing a wheel shouldn't be a problem at all though and anyone decent should be able to get it back to as new, especially as your wheels are painted and not diamond cut.

·
Registered
499 Posts
For that price I would get custom HRE wheels and get something that looks really cool. :D

I personally like the classic motorsport look like the pic below (not necessarily in carbon as shown).

I have the "extra" lightweight rims in the dark finish and have curbed them a couple of times and have had them repaired for less than $200. Unless you were an expert you wouldn't be able to tell they were repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
For that price I would get custom HRE wheels and get something that looks really cool. :D

I personally like the classic motorsport look like the pic below (not necessarily in carbon as shown).

I have the "extra" lightweight rims in the dark finish and have curbed them a couple of times and have had them repaired for less than $200. Unless you were an expert you wouldn't be able to tell they were repaired.
Those babies will cost $21k up here in the great white north, not sure you'd want to be curbing one of those babies. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Those babies will cost $21k up here in the great white north, not sure you'd want to be curbing one of those babies. Cheers.....����
GNW?? I grew up in Ottawa. $CDN has never been better! I think HRE must be using an old exchange rate! LOL!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
GNW?? I grew up in Ottawa. $CDN has never been better! I think HRE must be using an old exchange rate! LOL!
Did you mean GWN Goplay, the price that I indicated was in US$ so up here they will be more like $22k. So are you Canadian or American and don't worry I won't hold it against you. LOL??. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Did you mean GWN Goplay, the price that I indicated was in US$ so up here they will be more like $22k. So are you Canadian or American and don't worry I won't hold it against you. LOL����. Cheers.....����
Yes GWN. Still an CDN but a Permanent Resident in the US. Gotta keep my options open! :D Oops, does the INS read McLarenLife??

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aluminum alloy wheels can be restored to "brand-new" in terms of curbside cosmetic appeal, from curb-rash & blemishes. Just look into a recommended mobile wheel repair service in your area (generally speaking, a high-end dealership can recommend who they use). It'll be less than half-a-day repair at your place at your convenience, properly color-matched & sealed finish after addressing the scratches, gouges, rashes, etc.
You guys are so awesome. Thanks for all the feedback. I though the way these rims coating seemed to shatter off like plaster off drywall that it wouldnt have a chance of looking like new, but you guys are giving me the confidence to give it a try.

I still think I may want to get some rims for winter tire set, but think it makes sense to see if I can pick up a set from one of you guys that upgraded a set of rims and have a left over set.

Do we have a buy/sell area?

Thanks so much guys!

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
jkheit... *cough* BBS F1 *cough* :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts