McLaren Life banner

Are Mac wheels (1) Genius or (2) Made of Chocolate?

• Genius

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Chocolate

Votes: 4 57.1%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those that havent seen it, the latest episode of topgear with the Mac, you can catch it here:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-20-episode-3_part-1_2431764.htm

In that episode, among the piles of BS to obfuscate that the Mac had it's way with the 458 in every manner possible (yes yes, sorry, I'm a grumpy old codger)...among those piles of BS, the lads brought up a point that might have a touch of merit.

Namely that the rims on the Mac may be made of chocolate. The first shot is from top gear (where they ran on an airstrip with what I imagine to be lots of loose gravel--not sure this is an everyday issue for people, but interesting). The second shot is where I touched a curb at .1mph and the rim,apparently, spontaneously exploded at the point of contact and the tire seemed to want to rip itself apart out of sympathy.

So the question is: are the Mac's tire's made out of chocolate or is this a cool feature?

Argument in favor of Mac rims being made out of chocolate. The Audi in the top gear episode had wheels that seemed unfazed under the same conditions. Another anecodtal piece of info is the forged chrome rims on my old vette when kissing a curb, under similar conditions, didn't really get scuffed up.

I think both the Audi and the vette had the aluminum forged rims exposed, perhaps with some clear coat, but the aluminum was right there at the surface, and seems to hold up better to road abrasions.

Argument in favor of Mac rims being brilliantly made. It seems like the Mac rims have a kind of gooey powder coating atop of the actual aluminum rim. It's almost fibrous, as you can see in the close-up shot. What's nice about this finish is it's so easily repaired to look brand new.

So while I suspect the hard exposed aluminum of the audi and my vette resist scuffs better at first, when you eventually gouge them, they won't repair to look brand new as easily?

I base this on the repair of my rim for $150 from the Mac dealer where it really is completely invisible (at lest to my untrained eye).

Wondering how others feel about this? Chocolate or Genius?

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
I don't think that the lack of rim protection helps in any way regarding damage.
I'd never kerbed an alloy before, yet two rims have had to be refurbished already!!
Luckily I took out the tyre and rim insurance- after seeing the lack of tyre protection on the rears for sure!
Agree on the point that they are easily refurbished- as long as it's not the diamond cut style !!!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Gary - Are you saying you had to get your wheels refurbished as they were damaged just from dirt, rocks, and other 'road junk' getting kicked up while you're driving along? Maybe potholes? I saw your update on the 'what to clear wrap' thread on the door and bumper leading edges being down to raw metal... That sucks! You don't readily commute past a sandpaper plant or on roads littered with diamond dust do you? :D

Joking aside, I hope your dealer can help out in some way as that sort of damage at 10k miles seems off unless you've got some really crazy road conditions.

-nh4.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
noone1 -- I agree. I've had a wonderful reminder or how great granite curbing can be on the rear rim of my M3 for about 4 years now... That was a bad day! Now I'm looking to sell the car so I'll probably cave and get it fixed.

-nh4.

·
Registered
108 Posts
noone1 -- I agree. I've had a wonderful reminder or how great granite curbing can be on the rear rim of my M3 for about 4 years now... That was a bad day! Now I'm looking to sell the car so I'll probably cave and get it fixed.

-nh4.
Why don't you make your M3 a dedicated track car and just daily drive your future MP4-12C?

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Why don't you make your M3 a dedicated track car and just daily drive your future MP4-12C?
Because there's going to be a sizable time gap between the sale of the M3 and the purchase of the next "fun car". In the middle there's going to be a bunch of work done on my house... So until then, it'll just be the "practical car" which is much less fun, but allows for more wiggle room in turning my basement into a Speakeasy. :D

-nh4.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Because there's going to be a sizable time gap between the sale of the M3 and the purchase of the next "fun car". In the middle there's going to be a bunch of work done on my house... So until then, it'll just be the "practical car" which is much less fun, but allows for more wiggle room in turning my basement into a Speakeasy. :D

-nh4.
I think it is brilliant of you to start looking and you sure pick up a lot of information in regards to the depreciation of the Mclaren MP4-12C thread you have created not long ago. Good luck looking for a great discount on the MP4-12C. You are an educated buyer and you will end up with the one you like at the price you are willing to pay. Take care! Have a wonderful weekend!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Gary - Are you saying you had to get your wheels refurbished as they were damaged just from dirt, rocks, and other 'road junk' getting kicked up while you're driving along? Maybe potholes? I saw your update on the 'what to clear wrap' thread on the door and bumper leading edges being down to raw metal... That sucks! You don't readily commute past a sandpaper plant or on roads littered with diamond dust do you? :D

Joking aside, I hope your dealer can help out in some way as that sort of damage at 10k miles seems off unless you've got some really crazy road conditions.

-nh4.
To clarify, the wheels were refurbished due to a crap driver :( (me) and the lack of tyre rim protection- actually from the Eurotunnel carriage and struggling around the toilet blocks.

The paintwork is mainly on the drivers door and not so much on the drivers, I live no where near a sandpaper factory I'm pleased to report and use the car on the normal roads.

Service centre just commented that the car was being used and higher mileage- which I have ot say is what has annoyed me the most!! considering they are normally pleased to see it being used, the tune quickly changed..:(

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The standard finish is certainly chocolate,i started getting chips almost straight away and re furbed after 10k,but had them powder coated and polished,the harder finish is better but still had a couple of chips,i put it down to the amount of time this car spends at speeds i didnt do regularly before,and find it so chuckable that i do tend to leave alot of dust trails exiting corners ,again because she is so easy to place,so i have to take a certain amount of the blame!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts