McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the life of me I cannot get the logic of the start/stop button?!?

Starting

with foot on the brake:
- sometimes takes 3 presses of start/stop to crank the engine (awake->acc->crank)
- sometimes it's only 1 push

I generally can tell based on the brake pedal... if it's hard to depress, its going to take 3 presses of the start/stop. If the brake pedal depresses easily, it will take 1 press of start/stop.

Stopping

with engine running:
- sometimes when I push the start/stop, fan and radio turns off
- but sometimes the fan and radio stays on

If anyone can lend some insight to the logic, it's confusing and embarrassing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
When turning off, you need to hold the button briefly (1-2 seconds). A quick press turns the motor off but leaves the car in "ACC" mode (which is why the fan and the radio keep running).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When turning off, you need to hold the button briefly (1-2 seconds). A quick press turns the motor off but leaves the car in "ACC" mode (which is why the fan and the radio keep running).
Thanks for the quick, more importantly, accurate answer.

Still trying to figure out the start sequence. Still seems like a 3 press process. Definitely some correlation to the brake pedal squishiness.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks for the quick, more importantly, accurate answer.

Still trying to figure out the start sequence. Still seems like a 3 press process. Definitely some correlation to the brake pedal squishiness.
Depending what sequence she was last in.Always best to press the button first without your foot on the brake,till the needle swings round the taco,then put your foot on the brake and press,hey presto:) i never just press the button as the start up sequence is part of the drama for me (sad i know!)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Depending what sequence she was last in.Always best to press the button first without your foot on the brake,till the needle swings round the taco,then put your foot on the brake and press,hey presto:) i never just press the button as the start up sequence is part of the drama for me (sad i know!)
Excellent. Love the drama!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've wondered about this as well So, you're saying there's no way to jump in and start the engine with a single push of the button? If the car is in awake mode (doors have been opened/unlocked, according to the manual), what does the previous "state" have to do with it?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I've wondered about this as well So, you're saying there's no way to jump in and start the engine with a single push of the button? If the car is in awake mode (doors have been opened/unlocked, according to the manual), what does the previous "state" have to do with it?
The way it see the previous state being how you shut the car down,maybe this is from my experience with having an early car where you had to go through a sequence to make sure the battery wasnt still active.Seems for me there are 3 stages which i always use,first i power up the car,then second turn over the tacho,then start the car.Shutting down i never just press the button once as some of the electrical systems stay on.Maybe its just me,but in the right order i never have a problem and this stems from many people draining their cars,but the new updates will have changed this,so i guess its just what your used to!!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Has the loud start returned with upgrade 10?
No it will never come back,as they had to give it up for the power increase,as its something to do with the emissions ,which i guess must be an accumulative calculation for them to achieve it :confused:
:confused:Also regarding my last post,to me it depends on which mode you left the car in,ie,at a petrol forecourt where you might not completley shut her down,when you restart it can be very quiet,only just catching??Again that could be just down to how warmed up she is??? Anyone else with any ideas ,or is it just me!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Also regarding my last post,to me it depends on which mode you left the car in,ie,at a petrol forecourt where you might not completley shut her down,when you restart it can be very quiet,only just catching??Again that could be just down to how warmed up she is??? Anyone else with any ideas ,or is it just me!!!
Absolutely agree with that. If I unlock the car, jump in and press the starter then it simply starts, first time every time and usually very loudly. At the petrol station where the car has not been fully shutdown then it'll usually be more than one push to get it restarted and when it does start it's definitely more muted ... as you say, like it's only just catching. I had put the difference in sound down to being cold or warm.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't have mine yet--and you guys are killing me ;)

Accessory power usually lasts 10-20 minutes, long enough to get fuel. I assume the "state" of the car is going to change in that timeframe.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Don't have mine yet--and you guys are killing me ;)

Accessory power usually lasts 10-20 minutes, long enough to get fuel. I assume the "state" of the car is going to change in that timeframe.
This is no normal car !!! She has a mind and spirit of her own,some might even call it soul;):)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
This thread is amazing. Surely the procedure is simple. Press foot on brake, press manicured finger on Start. Hey presto, after a German delay, the engine fires into obedient life. No problem unless you are robbing a bank......you are Mclaren anoraks

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
This thread is amazing. Surely the procedure is simple. Press foot on brake, press manicured finger on Start. Hey presto, after a German delay, the engine fires into obedient life. No problem unless you are robbing a bank......you are Mclaren anoraks
Dont you like watching the tacho cycle RIC,what a busy life you must lead :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Press and hold the moody mistress. I bet she'll start.
Nope. Like stated, doesn't crank until brake system pressurizes, and that doesn't happen until tach is lit (ie. Accessory mode).

Now I'm starting to wonder if it makes any difference to the startup procedure if one is entering the car from a locked or unlocked state? As the car usually sits unlocked in a garage.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've never been able to depress my brake pedal. And you should hear some of the s**t I say to it. Completely indomitable spirit, that one.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Help

Here is an odd anomaly that I just noticed:
Occasionally, without the engine running, when I "play" with the start/stop button to change the vehicle's "electrical status" (awake/acc/ignition) ....... the 'HVAC' fan starts to run without me ever touching the fan's control knob !! It just starts up on it's own, and I cannot shut it off with the fan control knob. After a few attempts at pressing the engine off button ...... it will eventually stop.
What gives? (I've noticed that this car has a goodly number of electrical gremlins).
Here is another one I found: I cannot set the wiper delay parameters ("wiper sensitivity") in the "Timed Mode" window; The sensitivity/wiper delay can only be set in the "Automatic (rain sensor) Mode". Any setting made in the "Timed" wiper mode is erased when the ignition is switched off. Therefore .....After I set the wiper delay in "Auto" mode, I must go back and manually change the wiper system to "Timed Mode" >> this will then make position #1 on the Wiper Stalk the "Timed Mode" with an intermittent timed swipe delay. In other words, NO rain sensor, just a normal type intermittent wiper.

I am more concerned about the HVAC blower fan that has a mind of it's own !
Any guesses ???? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Here is an odd anomaly that I just noticed:
Occasionally, without the engine running, when I "play" with the start/stop button to change the vehicle's "electrical status" (awake/acc/ignition) ....... the 'HVAC' fan starts to run without me ever touching the fan's control knob !! It just starts up on it's own, and I cannot shut it off with the fan control knob. After a few attempts at pressing the engine off button ...... it will eventually stop.
What gives? (I've noticed that this car has a goodly number of electrical gremlins).
Here is another one I found: I cannot set the wiper delay parameters ("wiper sensitivity") in the "Timed Mode" window; The sensitivity/wiper delay can only be set in the "Automatic (rain sensor) Mode". Any setting made in the "Timed" wiper mode is erased when the ignition is switched off. Therefore .....After I set the wiper delay in "Auto" mode, I must go back and manually change the wiper system to "Timed Mode" >> this will then make position #1 on the Wiper Stalk the "Timed Mode" with an intermittent timed swipe delay. In other words, NO rain sensor, just a normal type intermittent wiper.

I am more concerned about the HVAC blower fan that has a mind of it's own !
Any guesses ???? :confused::confused:
Could it have something to do with your last preset, or maybe your memory settings. Not sure but it could be a possibility. Cheers....??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts