McLaren Life banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I have few questions in one. Own 675LT with only 6300 miles on it, crapped on me. the dealer tells me that I need a new flywheel and starter.

a. Is this normal to have a flywheel and starter going out at such low miles? and if not what would cause it?

b. neither dealer nor McLaren has parts in stock. Its been 3 weeks and no indication as to when I can expect it. My few emails directly to McLaren went unanswered I guess looking for suggestions if anyone was in a similar situation? Where do you go for parts and is there a way to expedite this process?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I purchased a starter on eBay
After we settled in price it was shipped and
Received in three days
What were your symptoms?
Battery fully charged and
When you push the start button only audible clicking from the rear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased a starter on eBay
After we settled in price it was shipped and
Received in three days
What were your symptoms?
Battery fully charged and
When you push the start button only audible clicking from the rear?

Car didn't start the Alarm with a bunch of error messages going off. Yes, the battery was fully charged. Thanks

·
Owner
830 Posts
I'm pretty sure what happened in my 570 was a spring flew loose from the flywheel (or clutch area), jammed the flywheel, caused me to burn up the starter pushing the start button over & over. I've heard of it happening to other 570s. Must be the same path for your 675 LT

·
Owner
896 Posts
Did they take the car apart to make this diagnosis?

·
Vendor
“I’m a Tuner”
1,059 Posts
I'm pretty sure what happened in my 570 was a spring flew loose from the flywheel (or clutch area), jammed the flywheel, caused me to burn up the starter pushing the start button over & over. I've heard of it happening to other 570s. Must be the same path for your 675 LT
AS @markj said this is common.
The flywheel died (lost a spring) and it jammed the entire assy preventing engine rotation.

The Starter burns up trying to spin it in the jammed position.

Ask the dealer to keep all the old parts, and PLEASE post a few pictures of the damaged flywheel (also called the DLD or Drive Line Dampener)

This will be very helpful to others as some believe this issue is a myth. Usually a precursor to the failure is random misfires (flashing CEL) during cold startup, specifically on cylinders 5,6,7,8 (Bank 2)

But some of us have experienced it and know this issue can affect all platforms up to 2017 (and maybe even beyond?)

Good news is there is a revised DLD that is beefier and is supposed to eliminate the problem from happening again.

If you want a dealer alternative for the job and to save some money feel free to send a PM.

Kevin
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Registered
322 Posts
This problem looks very similar to an issue with the clutch on the 944 Turbo. The springs would break, Porsche updated the part and mine was replaced at no cost to me even though it was well out of warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts