McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
I haven't spent 1 years worth of warranty money in 3 years of owning mine. I'd rather take that $12k and do something else with it.
Bro, I’m not debating you wrong or right ……..with your thinking I would assume your car insurance you only carry the minimum because u don’t have accidents? But I’m sure you cover the opposite to protect your assets home or car …..as I said for me it works as 14.00 a day really doesn’t concern me not being a jerk but it’s not that important.

Bro, I’m not debating you wrong or right ……..with your thinking I would assume your car insurance you only carry the minimum because u don’t have accidents? But I’m sure you cover the opposite to protect your assets home or car …..as I said for me it works as 14.00 a day really doesn’t concern me not being a jerk but it’s not that important.
I'm under the mindset of not wasting money. My insurance is $2k a year to cover well over $100k of potential loss. That's very different than $5k a year to cover less probable loss. If I took the mindset of "it's only $14 a day" and applied that to everything, I'd be squandering an assistants salary a year. Peace of mind isn't peace of mind after you find out the warranty doesn't cover the things you're most likely going to need it for, like accumulators or a battery. Or even worse, when they decline your claim because you didn't have an oil change receipt from 5 years ago and a prior owner.

I'm under the mindset of not wasting money. My insurance is $2k a year to cover well over $100k of potential loss. That's very different than $5k a year to cover less probable loss. If I took the mindset of "it's only $14 a day" and applied that to everything, I'd be squandering an assistants salary a year. Peace of mind isn't peace of mind after you find out the warranty doesn't cover the things you're most likely going to need it for, like accumulators or a battery. Or even worse, when they decline your claim because you didn't have an oil change receipt from 5 years ago and a prior owner.
Ouch you pay your assistant 5k a year shameful. Thanks for the tip I’m xclding all my cars insurance policies because I used it one time in 36 years odds are in my favor. Thanks for the tip

Ouch you pay your assistant 5k a year shameful. Thanks for the tip I’m xclding all my cars insurance policies because I used it one time in 36 years odds are in my favor. Thanks for the tip
Read again, if I applied that to everything. 1 giant Starbucks a day is only $14, eat out every day only $14 more, always drive the least efficient vehicle only $14 a day, add that to your warranty and you've spent $20k a year on "it's only $14 a day".

Read again, if I applied that to everything. 1 giant Starbucks a day is only $14, eat out every day only $14 more, always drive the least efficient vehicle only $14 a day, add that to your warranty and you've spent $20k a year on "it's only $14 a day".
Dude just stop seriously your not making too much sense, and being extreme this is not high school.

Dude just stop seriously your not making too much sense, and being extreme this is not high school.
Sorry you can't follow basic math and practical reasoning. It makes sense to everyone else who wants to spend less money in majority of cases. Spending $5k to save $2k doesn't make too much sense to me. Don't bro me, you don't know me, this isn't Facebook, stop acting like it.

Sorry you can't follow basic math and practical reasoning. It makes sense to everyone else who wants to spend less money in majority of cases. Spending $5k to save $2k doesn't make too much sense to me. Don't bro me, you don't know me, this isn't Facebook, stop acting like it.
Sorry bro, not too good at math. Before I retired at 52 I managed a 7B dollar PNL which requires bad math. Oh well bro!

@EMF Audio (McMedics) you should stop being so extreme about your stance regarding warranties or at least voicing it as such when many of us may have very different preferences that max out our utility nonetheless. Pointless exchange, your both right
Facts are facts, preferences are opinions. If you don't want to believe my own data, consider the fact that companies don't lose money on warranties. On the whole for every $20k payout there are no less than 4 people paying in that didn't use any of that $5k. While there may be individual cases that benefit, there are many more that don't.

Facts are facts, preferences are opinions. If you don't want to believe my own data, consider the fact that companies don't lose money on warranties. On the whole for every $20k payout there are no less than 4 people paying in that didn't use any of that $5k. While there may be individual cases that benefit, there are many more that don't.
Yes sir, i do agree with you..But what business model aims to not make a profit? Costs and benefits of a warranty might be disproportionate but thats for the individual consumer to judge. At the end of the day, our preferences drive us and we all value things differently. I may value the added, unfounded stress of not having a warranty throughout the year at $4000 and then if an actual problem occurs even a small $1000 job would make the $5000/yr warranty seem worth it to me. Its tbe same as me feeling like i look good in red, you cant argue with it, its just human behavior and its all too complex to delve into rn

Yes sir, i do agree with you..But what business model aims to not make a profit? Costs and benefits of a warranty might be disproportionate but thats for the individual consumer to judge. At the end of the day, our preferences drive us and we all value things differently. I may value the added, unfounded stress of not having a warranty throughout the year at $4000 and then if an actual problem occurs even a small $1000 job would make the $5000/yr warranty seem worth it to me. Its tbe same as me feeling like i look good in red, you cant argue with it, its just human behavior and its all too complex to delve into rn
While I don't disagree, I did a video on warranties and some experiences with them that showed why warranties aren't always falling into that unfounded stress category. Example, when you find out that $5,000 repair isn't covered, like accumulators. Batteries are also considered a consumable and not covered. In the land of 3rd party warranties I've dealt with a few people trying to file a claim and they get denied because of a prior owner, before they even started the policy. A warranty is only as good as what it really covers when you go to use it, and sometimes you find out the hard way.

While I don't disagree, I did a video on warranties and some experiences with them that showed why warranties aren't always falling into that unfounded stress category. Example, when you find out that $5,000 repair isn't covered, like accumulators. Batteries are also considered a consumable and not covered. In the land of 3rd party warranties I've dealt with a few people trying to file a claim and they get denied because of a prior owner, before they even started the policy. A warranty is only as good as what it really covers when you go to use it, and sometimes you find out the hard way.
Haha yes there's also the stress related to the warranty itself to take into account, thats a good point. Ill check that video out, i like your content! I guess we can leave these points here for the rational consumer to decide for himself/herrrrrrrzelf

That applies to every insurance policy. The difference here is the level of risk people are willing to live with. If you have a shop with a lift, for example, your appetite for risk might be higher than someone who relies on the dealer.

That applies to every insurance policy. The difference here is the level of risk people are willing to live with. If you have a shop with a lift, for example, your appetite for risk might be higher than someone who relies on the dealer.
McMedics has proven you don't have to rely on the dealer, no matter where you are. There are also independent shops in many areas. There are a lot of things that don't require a lift, I've proven that too. The only things that absolutely require a lift are engine and transmission out things. Other things are more convenient with one.

McMedics has proven you don't have to rely on the dealer, no matter where you are. There are also independent shops in many areas. There are a lot of things that don't require a lift, I've proven that too. The only things that absolutely require a lift are engine and transmission out things. Other things are more convenient with one.
I know, I know, believe me I'm tempted! I like to work on my own cars anyway, so doing the oil change and brakes is a piece of cake, and with you as a backup in case the shit hits the fan it has definitely got me thinking about taking the plunge at some point.

On a 675, i would be tempted to renew coverage just for the engine.
The engines are somewhat different than the main stream 3.8l widely available used.
Transmission is probably the same as other p11 cars however and so is the rest of the systems.iris is different too and most probably much pricier .

On a 675, i would be tempted to renew coverage just for the engine.
The engines are somewhat different than the main stream 3.8l widely available used.
Transmission is probably the same as other p11 cars however and so is the rest of the systems.iris is different too and most probably much pricier .
The engine is barely different, labor is the cost of repair more than anything. Transmission is the same, Iris hardware is the same, software is different I believe.

The engine is barely different, labor is the cost of repair more than anything. Transmission is the same, Iris hardware is the same, software is different I believe.
iris hardware is different .includes ac controls and track camera which other p11 don't have. nevermind the software.
engine internal parts are somewhat different,polished and weighted rods,ported heads etc... making for an ebay generic not acceptable in a $300k car.

iris hardware is different .includes ac controls and track camera which other p11 don't have. nevermind the software.
engine internal parts are somewhat different,polished and weighted rods,ported heads etc... making for an ebay generic not acceptable in a $300k car.
I was referring to the screen and brain, I know the climate controls are controlled differently (software) but is it more than canbus to the same BCM or is there an additional module? I don't consider the cameras to be part of Iris. I guess the question is, what's the Iris parts numbers for the screen and head unit on the 675?

Don’t know part numbers but a quick check with dealer for a pro like yourself will surely get you that info. There’s more than just canbus differences if only with aforementioned cameras which whether you accept or not as being part of iris are still connected and an integral part of it.
Steering rack is different,dampers, engine is vastly different, transmission may or may not be modded. It’s all these little differences that add up to an expensive repair bill compared to it’s more plebeian acolytes.
Sure, you could put a 570 engine in a limited production car but would it be the right thing to do?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.