McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I've never had or ever will put tints on my windows, but my car happened to come with them, and so be it. I never realized this, but they are actually illegal in my state for the passenger/driver windows. They are pretty damn dark too.

In the event that I had to remove them, is it normally required to remove door trim? I really don't want someone removing door panels, especially if they aren't a dealer who knows what they are doing. Definitely not gonna let Joe Schmoo touch it.

If panels are typically removed, do you think it would be possible to just cut below the rubber seals with a razor and just remove the visible portions?

Any thoughts on this?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
631 Posts
They should be able to remove the tint film without touching the door panels. I watched a tint installer work once and it's quite fascinating how they operate. Just make sure they COVER up the leather! They use a lot of water sometimes (the bad ones) when they shouldn't and it can warp your leather!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this. I've never had or ever will put tints on my windows, but my car happened to come with them, and so be it. I never realized this, but they are actually illegal in my state for the passenger/driver windows. They are pretty damn dark too.

In the event that I had to remove them, is it normally required to remove door trim? I really don't want someone removing door panels, especially if they aren't a dealer who knows what they are doing. Definitely not gonna let Joe Schmoo touch it.

If panels are typically removed, do you think it would be possible to just cut below the rubber seals with a razor and just remove the visible portions?

Any thoughts on this?
Is all types of window tint illegal? Or is it illegal if it doesn't let through a certain amount of light. I know in Ohio the tint on the front passenger doors have to let in at least 50% light.
Here is a link to check the laws in your state:
http://www.tintlaws.com/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Koolaid. That's a badass website u posted. Thanks, I never knew such a site existed. It's so stupid that what's legal in one "united state" is not in others, same with everything I guess, ie guns

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Yes those of us behind the iron curtain(NJ) long to live in free America.
Even up here in "live free or die" New Hampshire it would appear that free living does not allow for such things as window tint on front side windows.

http://www.tintlaws.com/nh.php

You don't need to wear a seat belt, and you can tear up the highway on a bike without wearing a helmet, but try to tint your windows and now we're talking really dangerous stuff!

-nh4.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Koolaid. That's a badass website u posted. Thanks, I never knew such a site existed. It's so stupid that what's legal in one "united state" is not in others, same with everything I guess, ie guns
That's why there's so many different levels of government allowing for all of this crap to exist. Yes we need conformity standards across the states and of course Canada non standardization across the board, which in turn is costing us the tax payers that much to excessiveness.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yes I did it again sorry, I'm back mister fat fingers hitting the send before a reread and rewrite. Anyways I'm sure you can understand where I was going with all that. Cheers....??

·
Registered
715 Posts
Even up here in "live free or die" New Hampshire it would appear that free living does not allow for such things as window tint on front side windows.

http://www.tintlaws.com/nh.php

You don't need to wear a seat belt, and you can tear up the highway on a bike without wearing a helmet, but try to tint your windows and now we're talking really dangerous stuff!

-nh4.
Or pay taxes or participate in the SS program or most anything. But I can't believe you can't tint windows. Florida, home of much more crime you can basically put black panels instead of windows. Maybe the sun's rays could have something to do with that. Here in NJ our state government basically did away with the inspection system and it's now just plugging into the OBD2 plug at least for newer cars.

The Mac got a sticker without a front license plate. Actually most of my cars don't have front plates, including some classics. . And 2 have dark tint. But since the watering down of the DMV(thankfully) it been ok. They do have roving compliance checkpoints. Maybe they'll carp about the tint, but they just wave me through.
Here's my second favorite car that has no license plate and dark tint. Just passed inspection. So not sure of the enforcement.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375193390.885663.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
In Ohio, not having a front license plate is not a moving violation, so there are no points assessed against your license. When I had my vette, I never had a front plate. Never got stopped for it either. Putting a front plate on cars really detracts from the aesthetics, IMO.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Same with my last vette and the Mac. The cops seem to understand. If anything, it gives them something else (other than speeding) to ticket you with when they want to give you a break.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is all types of window tint illegal? Or is it illegal if it doesn't let through a certain amount of light. I know in Ohio the tint on the front passenger doors have to let in at least 50% light.
Here is a link to check the laws in your state:
http://www.tintlaws.com/
I have just a small update to tintlaws.com: that site was sold in 2013, the new owner failed to update the site and many listings there are inaccurate (as i found out recently). Check windowtintlaws.org for up-to-date tint laws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I understand correctly, front window tint laws are in place to aid cops when pulling someone over - making it easier for the cop to see who/what is in the front seat... That said, I think I have 20% all around on my sedan, just roll the window down if needed....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why are there limits to the amount of windscreen tint allowed by law?

The window tinting limits required are primarily for safety reasons. In dull conditions and at night, the driver's ability to see is severely hampered by excessive tints. Not all countries have regulations as strict as the UK. In these countries a number of road deaths have been directly attributed to the driver being unable to see properly through a heavily tinted front windscreen. In addition it is helpful for other road users to be able to see the driver of the vehicle, particularly at junctions.It's the same in the uk. The police are quite hot on it. As far as I'm aware, it's so you can see bikers properly at dusk.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I think they should allow 100% tints - why does anyone need to see out of a windscreen?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts