McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a spider about a week, and must say it is impressive. Any fears about alleged boring design , sound , went out the window .

Are there any high mile cars out there? I hear about small, annoying problems, but anything serious? Anyone stranded?:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
11k,engine ,drivetrain and suspension seem bombproof,as an early car its had plenty of niggles,but nothing that would let me down or get me stranded.Hyper is on 16/17k i think and he has had less problems than me as his is a newer car.As you have the spider i think you will find it just about all sorted now:)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
8k miles and never let me down. No oil used, gearbox seems very solid. My car is driven at the limit, thrashed mercilessly, unlike Andy's which is gently driven in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside.

·
Registered
551 Posts
1500kms and nothing serious! Constantly experience the potential of the car and amused

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
8500 miles and no issues other than niggly stuff. My mileage has included some hard track/ top speed/ race events too, and that's really when it comes into its own

·
Owner
893 Posts
I've had no mechanical problems, either. But, I have had some software issues niggles; which I find quite annoying in light of the fact that I don't have an early car (2013MY) and that McLaren has constructed over 2400 12C's to date.

I like to see the 'forest through the trees' ......
(IMO)The 'exotic car' environment has changed a great deal over the last 20 odd years ..... and, I think that today's customer is not so likely to act like the individual who owned an exotic car back in the 'old days'.
What I mean is, once upon a time, we used to think: "it's an exotic car, built by a small cottage industry, so we have to live with these glitches and anomalies". The new breed of car buyer (from a Honda to a Rolls Royce), I sense, expects a somewhat more perfect buying experience (and, especially at our car's price level) which does not include ongoing and languishing glitches.
What do you guys think? :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I've had no mechanical problems, either. But, I have had some software issues niggles; which I find quite annoying in light of the fact that I don't have an early car (2013MY) and that McLaren has constructed over 2400 12C's to date.

I like to see the 'forest through the trees' ......
(IMO)The 'exotic car' environment has changed a great deal over the last 20 odd years ..... and, I think that today's customer is not so likely to act like the individual who owned an exotic car back in the 'old days'.
What I mean is, once upon a time, we used to think: "it's an exotic car, built by a small cottage industry, so we have to live with these glitches and anomalies". The new breed of car buyer (from a Honda to a Rolls Royce), I sense, expects a somewhat more perfect buying experience (and, especially at our car's price level) which does not include ongoing and languishing glitches.
What do you guys think? :)
Mclaren have been building cars for a year and 5 months from a standing start with new industry changing technology, no parts sourced from Fords part Bin, with a newly hired team. Brilliant achievement in my opinion.

They have acknowledged shortfalls in the product and acted and acted again. Above all they have stayed with the mission and customer.

The product is a performance drivers delight. Exciting and practical, usable and reliable. 15 MONTHS OLD. WOW and WOW again.

The future is bright. It's Mclaren.

·
Registered
477 Posts
9K & my car is the DOGS .
Now on to the colour.RIC's is a SICK VO & Andys, well the less said ! ! ! Brucie baby's was THE LOVELY BLACK. What a COINCIDENCE, mine happens to be the LOVELY BLACK ! !

·
Owner
893 Posts
Mclaren have been building cars for a year and 5 months from a standing start with new industry changing technology, no parts sourced from Fords part Bin, with a newly hired team. Brilliant achievement in my opinion.

They have acknowledged shortfalls in the product and acted and acted again. Above all they have stayed with the mission and customer.

The product is a performance drivers delight. Exciting and practical, usable and reliable. 15 MONTHS OLD. WOW and WOW again.

The future is bright. It's Mclaren.
RIC,
Respectfully, I won't drink Kool-Aid, and I (personally) think that one year and a half of production is not exactly yesterday;))...... So, I look at the number of units built, and the number of (the same) problems continuing to be mentioned by owners as ongoing !! (Not, that I have all of the ones we've mentioned here on the site).

Doors and widows closing properly, Radio and Nav problems, Etc. ..... are NOT, to me, new industry changing technology !!!
Possibly, the dealerships might play a part in this; But, if I 'bitch' to my dealer about niggles .... It's not my responsibility to take them by the hand and force them to relay things to the 'mothership'...... All I'm saying .... If you wanna play with the roadcar big boys .... It's McLaren's job to read any of their recalcitrant dealers the riot act; Not me ..... Just one little fish.:cool:
I want McLaren to succeed !!! But, when I read things on other automotive sites about McLaren quality problems.... it irks me.
JMO :)

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I drink the kool aid by the barrel (orange is my favourite flavour) but, seriously, when it comes to reliability I'm just impressed, like RIC. About 11,000 road and track KM (+40 degrees C to -20 degrees C), no real issues to speak of. Now that 1st year niggles are history, it may well turn out to be one if the most reliable cars I've owned, which would really floor me, to be honest. Hopefully we won't all be reporting hydraulic suspension failure at 20,000 miles, but until then I'm with RIC - very impressive for an automotive start-up.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I drink the kool aid by the barrel (orange is my favourite flavour) but, seriously, when it comes to reliability I'm just impressed, like RIC. About 11,000 road and track KM (+40 degrees C to -20 degrees C), no real issues to speak of. Now that 1st year niggles are history, it may well turn out to be one if the most reliable cars I've owned, which would really floor me, to be honest. Hopefully we won't all be reporting hydraulic suspension failure at 20,000 miles, but until then I'm with RIC - very impressive for an automotive start-up.
I hear you guys, loud and clear ! ......:)
Some of the ongoing stuff, as I've alluded, could be due the mindset of their dealerships in the U.S.A. ....... as other people, on this very site, have said about a few of them: "They ain't that wonderful". :(
Alas, it's just the way things are here, nowadays. Pity.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
I monitor a number of forums and in the past 12 months I can only recall one owner reporting any repeated problems with his car that weren't being satisfactorily resolved. The final result was a buy back of the car he was in and a negotiated sale on a new car which he explained here. Since then I've seen a few more posts from him, but no complaints about his new 12C. Even he had speculated he got a 'Friday car' the first time around and did not anticipate a repeat of his troubles.

I think it is an amazing accomplishment with what McLaren have done in a few short years. I am not ignoring the fact that every step of the process has not been perfect and the cars have needed some additional development and support. In hindsight McLaren would probably have considered making a few course corrections, but overall it has been a far more successful venture than many others have managed to achieve in creating a new globally marketed supercar, a new factory and a new dealer network all in the span of about 5 years. I also believe there will be many more great years to come and it will only get better with time and experience in this space. I eagerly await the day I can call myself an owner.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
886 Posts
4,000 miles and quite happy.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
RIC,
Respectfully, I won't drink Kool-Aid, and I (personally) think that one year and a half of production is not exactly yesterday;))...... So, I look at the number of units built, and the number of (the same) problems continuing to be mentioned by owners as ongoing !! (Not, that I have all of the ones we've mentioned here on the site).

Doors and widows closing properly, Radio and Nav problems, Etc. ..... are NOT, to me, new industry changing technology !!!
Possibly, the dealerships might play a part in this; But, if I 'bitch' to my dealer about niggles .... It's not my responsibility to take them by the hand and force them to relay things to the 'mothership'...... All I'm saying .... If you wanna play with the roadcar big boys .... It's McLaren's job to read any of their recalcitrant dealers the riot act; Not me ..... Just one little fish.:cool:
I want McLaren to succeed !!! But, when I read things on other automotive sites about McLaren quality problems.... it irks me.
JMO :)

Limey. Can understand that Mclaren could have done better and the dealers play a BIG part in communication. I sometime think multi-franchise dealers have a diluted perspective influenced by their other marques but I think the dealer principles are key to staff response .

Anyway it is a question of perspective regarding how far Mclaren have travelled in 18 months or so. I'm influenced by my experience of both product development and factory/production management plus establishing cultural direction in newly assembled teams of people.

Overnight in business takes two years when in start up or major development mode imop. At year 3 things take off as the organisation and technology gel. Mclaren are on track, sorry for the pun!

For me they got the big issues pretty well spot on......chassis , brakes, engine and gearbox plus interior quality.

The issues of window closing, Doris wayward attitude , radio reception are irritants that need to be fixed and Mclaren are doing it. The issues of bumper and body panel fit will improve with time, it is a slower process that takes months not weeks.

A good friend of mine developed the steering system for the Bentley coupe and was very frustrated with suppliers who had no interest in supporting or developing product because volume projection was only 5000 units per year. So I can just imagine the difficulty of getting suppliers attention at 1500 units per year. No excuse but I will cut Mclaren some slack in speed of response.

So the competitors have been 'at it' for many years and have momentum and established know how and knowledge. In comparison they are likely to fare better than Mclaren in the short term.

So in conclusion my school report would be; Mclaren have done OK so far, could be better, will likely get to the top of the class with continued attention and time.

Limey We all have a different take and I think your perspectives are valid. I hope you reach driver/owner contentment at some point. Keep the opinions posted.

The future is fast. It's Mclaren.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Thanks roundincircles ..... You obviously have more of an insider view of things than I.
As my dealership is involved with over 9 different upscale automobile franchises, your caution about multi-franchise operations rings hauntingly true. Way too much on their plate at my shop !
Cheers my friend.
Limey

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Limey. Can understand that Mclaren could have done better and the dealers play a BIG part in communication. I sometime think multi-franchise dealers have a diluted perspective influenced by their other marques but I think the dealer principles are key to staff response .

Anyway it is a question of perspective regarding how far Mclaren have travelled in 18 months or so. I'm influenced by my experience of both product development and factory/production management plus establishing cultural direction in newly assembled teams of people.

Overnight in business takes two years when in start up or major development mode imop. At year 3 things take off as the organisation and technology gel. Mclaren are on track, sorry for the pun!

For me they got the big issues pretty well spot on......chassis , brakes, engine and gearbox plus interior quality.

The issues of window closing, Doris wayward attitude , radio reception are irritants that need to be fixed and Mclaren are doing it. The issues of bumper and body panel fit will improve with time, it is a slower process that takes months not weeks.

A good friend of mine developed the steering system for the Bentley coupe and was very frustrated with suppliers who had no interest in supporting or developing product because volume projection was only 5000 units per year. So I can just imagine the difficulty of getting suppliers attention at 1500 units per year. No excuse but I will cut Mclaren some slack in speed of response.

So the competitors have been 'at it' for many years and have momentum and established know how and knowledge. In comparison they are likely to fare better than Mclaren in the short term.

So in conclusion my school report would be; Mclaren have done OK so far, could be better, will likely get to the top of the class with continued attention and time.

Limey We all have a different take and I think your perspectives are valid. I hope you reach driver/owner contentment at some point. Keep the opinions posted.

The future is fast. It's Mclaren.
Couldnt have put it better myself RIC,infact i couldnt,but i would have if i could:confused::)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Limey. I have just noticed your garage, it's more than multi-franchise.........those Sunbeam Alpine/Tigers are rare, it's years since I have seen one on the UK roads. I always had a desire for one with all that glass and style...........

Any chance of a picture?

·
Registered
983 Posts
HAHAHA... you guys with your barely driven cars... Pushing 17K miles now. Slow down since I was traveling a lot. I have had the standard little niggles, but nothing that kept it off the road more than a day, and service has always been amazingly good.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
HAHAHA... you guys with your barely driven cars... Pushing 17K miles now. Slow down since I was traveling a lot. I have had the standard little niggles, but nothing that kept it off the road more than a day, and service has always been amazingly good.
I'm really happy HyperMac to hear that your enjoying your car that much and have had very few concerns. It's nice to know that your enjoyment has translated into many, many, many miles. I can't wait to start driving and enjoying mine as much as your have. Please keep us posted on your continued Mac experiences. Cheers.....??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts