McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The snow and ice finally cleared, after torrential rain, this week and then the sun came out and dried the roads. Time for a spin for the first time in 6 weeks.

It took a few miles to re-familiarise myself and for the tyres to get to temperature, then POW, does this car fly! It is truly ballistic, just sensational instant power delivery. I found a straight piece of road with no junctions, pedestrians or wandering reindeer's and let it rip to the limiter in each gear with that little arrow, in my peripheral vision, flashing on as the noise gets spine tingling loud. The box changing in an instant with seamless power driving the car relentlessly forward. It is truly ballistic, have I already said that? A blink of an eye and your into the future. It is fast.

I will agree the sound at low revs is less than thrilling (but pleasant and mercifully low) but at full chat it is entertaining in a way that addiction develops a bit like a packet of freshly opened Jammy Dodgers, lets do it again, again, just one more....again.

Next month I will have been the owner of my dream car for 8000 miles and one whole year. What a rewarding year ownership has proved. It truly is an 'and' car, comfortable for the mundane journey, if any journey can be mundane, and great fun on track or on a road trip. My wife and I did one 600 mile trip from Inverness to 38 miles north of London in one go, just stopping for take away coffee, arrived relaxed and ready for a night out at journeys end.

What's been surprising in the past year? The car is driver friendly and relatively easy to use plus, with some track instruction, instils confidence at higher speeds. Tyre wear is reasonable and ride quality outstanding, especially given tyre size. The cornering speeds and ability just beyond my comprehension and still being explored.

Thinking of buying a MP4-12C? If you can't stop at one Jammy Dodger, then a test drive will surely make your mind up!

I would like to hear about other owners views as well. Oh and you get to meet some characters !

ps Dealer backup and service is top notch as well.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the motor :)

Totally agree on the way it easily takes you on long journeys- and that was part of the appeal of the car for me.
We did a run to Cornwall and apart from the stop for fuel after leaving the motorway it was superb and left us feeling relaxed on our arrival.

Really looking forward to using the cat this year :D and hope to be able to do my 12 month review when it comes around

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The snow and ice finally cleared, after torrential rain, this week and then the sun came out and dried the roads. Time for a spin for the first time in 6 weeks.

It took a few miles to re-familiarise myself and for the tyres to get to temperature, then POW, does this car fly! It is truly ballistic, just sensational instant power delivery. I found a straight piece of road with no junctions, pedestrians or wandering reindeer's and let it rip to the limiter in each gear with that little arrow, in my peripheral vision, flashing on as the noise gets spine tingling loud. The box changing in an instant with seamless power driving the car relentlessly forward. It is truly ballistic, have I already said that? A blink of an eye and your into the future. It is fast.

I will agree the sound at low revs is less than thrilling (but pleasant and mercifully low) but at full chat it is entertaining in a way that addiction develops a bit like a packet of freshly opened Jammy Dodgers, lets do it again, again, just one more....again.

Next month I will have been the owner of my dream car for 8000 miles and one whole year. What a rewarding year ownership has proved. It truly is an 'and' car, comfortable for the mundane journey, if any journey can be mundane, and great fun on track or on a road trip. My wife and I did one 600 mile trip from Inverness to 38 miles north of London in one go, just stopping for take away coffee, arrived relaxed and ready for a night out at journeys end.

What's been surprising in the past year? The car is driver friendly and relatively easy to use plus, with some track instruction, instils confidence at higher speeds. Tyre wear is reasonable and ride quality outstanding, especially given tyre size. The cornering speeds and ability just beyond my comprehension and still being explored.

Thinking of buying a MP4-12C? If you can't stop at one Jammy Dodger, then a test drive will surely make your mind up!

I would like to hear about other owners views as well. Oh and you get to meet some characters !

Well after reading your comments roundincircles, you've got me wetting my pants. I can't wait to start driving this beautiful beast of a car, I'm counting down the days. Now that you've got me all excited, I'm heading down to the dealership to see how things are progressing along. Cheers....??

·
Registered
560 Posts
i feel the same exact way!
ive never had a car that can do it all!
the only thing thats missing is factory/dealer events like Lambo and Ferrari has.
you feel like a 3rd wheel rolling up to ferrari bbq lol
but im sure things will change in the near future.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after reading your comments roundincircles, you've got me wetting my pants. I can't wait to start driving this beautiful beast of a car, I'm counting down the days. Now that you've got me all excited, I'm heading down to the dealership to see how things are progressing along. Cheers....??
When you keep looking for excuses to visit the dealer your hooked! Great feeling being hooked!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
i feel the same exact way!
ive never had a car that can do it all!
the only thing thats missing is factory/dealer events like Lambo and Ferrari has.
you feel like a 3rd wheel rolling up to ferrari bbq lol
but im sure things will change in the near future.
Yes indeed Mac 1 its an extremely versatile, beautiful and enjoyable car. As consumers become more aware of these facts the numbers will continue to increase and then the factory/dealer events will occur. As in the movie field of dreams, if you build it they will come. Which is exactly what Ron Dennis and company are doing. New models continue to roll out of Woking, it's just a matter of time. Hey there's nothing wrong with being the third wheel, especial when you know your actually first, and that's not just a feeling it's a fact. Yes I know I've got a bias about the car. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes indeed Mac 1 its an extremely versatile, beautiful and enjoyable car. As consumers become more aware of these facts the numbers will continue to increase and then the factory/dealer events will occur. As in the movie field of dreams, if you build it they will come. Which is exactly what Ron Dennis and company are doing. New models continue to roll out of Woking, it's just a matter of time. Hey there's nothing wrong with being the third wheel, especial when you know your actually first, and that's not just a feeling it's a fact. Yes I know I've got a bias about the car. Cheers.....����
agree 110%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1st time at local i was the only Mac that showed, 2nd time at track 3 MP4's showed! so
it is happening as we speak.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
agree 110%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1st time at local i was the only Mac that showed, 2nd time at track 3 MP4's showed! so
it is happening as we speak.
Well, we don't want too many of them, now! Actually, the business plan at full chat targets only half of Ferrari's annual volume, which I think is a very good thing.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Great write up RIC,looking forward to getting back from the white stuff already,and ive only just landed!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There's an 'Italian' car show that happens in Woodbridge on Thursday nights. Some interesting cars sometimes. Always big ego's though. You two gentlemen from T.O. need to start buzzing that show just to keep some of the tifosi there a bit grounded and a little more humble.;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 12C will be 1 next month. Love the car especially after v10. With the new bumper i have put on, the car also looks better. Yes, also a special thanks to the service team at McLaren Spore, the best service team in town.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My biggest complaint is fuel economy. It sometimes takes me 50 miles to get to my office, which is only 4 miles away.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My biggest complaint is fuel economy. It sometimes takes me 50 miles to get to my office, which is only 4 miles away.
LOL, now that is funny!

My favorite view of the car is diagonal from the rear foward. Great to hear people that actually put some serious miles on their exotics.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL. Like it.

On a 3000 mile trip to Italy we got up to 31 mpg cruising at 80/90 mph. Brilliant.

4.7 mpg on track, 14 mpg gently thrashing it. 24 mpg to date.

A lot of fuel gets used when stationary as people ask to hear the engine and 'would you give it some welly, great, thank you'

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Has been an awesome car to own and probably to my mind is the only car that I would have been able to give up my prior car (R8 V10) without any regrets. I had wondered about that when I bought my car but certainly no regrets now.

Just to highlight the above in particular.

Ben at Mclaren London has been brilliant and was a huge help today in getting everything arranged after I somehow managed to buckle the right rear rim on a pothole en route to the brecons today...which was rather a pain to put it mildly....

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
The biggest problem that i now have (and most owners i speak to) is that when the time comes,what can i replace it with,other than another Mclaren,it now really is that good:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The biggest problem that i now have (and most owners i speak to) is that when the time comes,what can i replace it with,other than another Mclaren,it now really is that good:)
I would say a P1 if you can afford it, if not then I would just tweak it. Cheers....??

·
Registered
208 Posts
Has been an awesome car to own and probably to my mind is the only car that I would have been able to give up my prior car (R8 V10) without any regrets. I had wondered about that when I bought my car but certainly no regrets now.

Just to highlight the above in particular.

Ben at Mclaren London has been brilliant and was a huge help today in getting everything arranged after I somehow managed to buckle the right rear rim on a pothole en route to the brecons today...which was rather a pain to put it mildly....
Now I know why he did not sort my stuck brakes out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Andy, good observation. My guess is that Mini Mac will be introduced at close to the Mid Macs performance, same tub so similar car. At this juncture Mid Mac will get direct injection and better Turbos so enticing current owners with a more responsive drive train plus Frank Stevensons wand over the styling. The style has to be better on Mid Mac Mk2.

You will be won over, trust me, unless Morgan make that 3 wheeler ballistic !

1 - 20 of 39 Posts