McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
That’s why they were inexpensive. If you had purchased titanium, or what the factory exhausts are made from which is inconel, the price would’ve reflected that. As an example, I have my downpipes listed for sale for $2,500 but to get exhaust made like mine are $5k from ANY vendor. It’s better material and you run less risk of car catching fire from over temp downpipes... there’s a reason Mclaren users this material on their exhaust systems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
McBroke... you say you have pipes for sale? I tried to search for them, but the set up of this message board is super strange and not like the ones I am used to.

·
Registered
710 Posts
McBroke... you say you have pipes for sale? I tried to search for them, but the set up of this message board is super strange and not like the ones I am used to.
I do... I wasn’t trying to do a desperate sales plug for my exhaust.., just stating the reason you got a great deal on your exhaust. My for sale post is in the 570 section as well as the 650 section on the MacLife forum.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Each side weighs 8 lbs which is lighter than the factory part.
304 SS is perfect since I get since weight saving while keep cost down.

McBroke no wonder your exhaust has not sold LOL
No, actually I was wondering why anyone would spend $200k on a car but buy cheap ass lesser quality exhaust for a supercar?!??? Mystery to me... I only buy as good or better than factory parts, but that’s just me. ?

·
Vendor
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, actually I was wondering why anyone would spend $200k on a car but buy cheap ass lesser quality exhaust for a supercar?!??? Mystery to me... I only buy as good or better than factory parts, but that’s just me. ?
If you see the trend with exotics the first owners seldom modes their car. maybe a few
It is usually the 2 or 3 owner that will mod it when they pay 40% of the original sticker and they will want the best deal keeping quality and price in mind.

Please also tell me beside materials used how is the quality lesser? You want close up shots of the welds?

·
Registered
710 Posts
If you see the trend with exotics the first owners seldom modes their car. maybe a few
It is usually the 2 or 3 owner that will mod it when they pay 40% of the original sticker and they will want the best deal keeping quality and price in mind.

Please also tell me beside materials used how is the quality lesser? You want close up shots of the welds?
Ummmmm.. material used is lesser quality used than factory exhaust. They use inconnel for a reason. Heat tolerance... Something being that close to the turbos gets crazy hot, and materials chosen from the factory are carefully selected based on its need to do a particular job well. An exhaust can be welded up perfectly, and look beautiful, but that doesn’t mean it’s the correct part for the job. I meant no disrespect to you or the exhaust you selected, just wish people would do a bit of research before the deem one exhaust too expensive or “overpriced” as I’ve heard it said before.

·
2012 MP4-12C
818 Posts
304 SS is fine for sub-800 C temps, which is most exhaust systems with the exception of some areas near the engine after lots of hard driving. The issue is that 304 SS can degrade slowly at 800 C and rapidly at 900 C, creating risk for structural failure and fires.

Because of the very short headers, the use of turbochargers, and the proximity to the engine, the exhaust in our McLarens gets very hot (damn near 900 C at the junction to the headers). When you add in safety margins, this drive the OEM away from 304 and towards higher temperature materials.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,702 Posts
304 SS is fine for sub-800 C temps, which is most exhaust systems with the exception of some areas near the engine after lots of hard driving. The issue is that 304 SS can degrade slowly at 800 C and rapidly at 900 C, creating risk for structural failure and fires.

Because of the very short headers, the use of turbochargers, and the proximity to the engine, the exhaust in our McLarens gets very hot (damn near 900 C at the junction to the headers). When you add in safety margins, this drive the OEM away from 304 and towards higher temperature materials.
I wonder if anyone with SS downpipes who tracks regularly has any issues with SS inc structural failure or fire???

·
2012 MP4-12C
818 Posts
I’m not saying they WILL catch fire, or that 304SS cannot work for an exhaust system (obviously it can). I’m just saying that OEM’s massive safety margins are the likely reason the stock system is not 304SS.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts