McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,137 Posts

The affected McLaren products are the 2016 to 2020 720S, the 2020 GT, 2019 Senna, and the 2017 to 2019 570GT, according to a filing on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website.

·
Registered
56 Posts
McLaren has issued a recall for nearly 2800 vehicles across its lineup built between 2016 and 2020.

The affected McLaren products are the 2016 to 2020 720S, the 2020 GT, 2019 Senna, and the 2017 to 2019 570GT, according to a filing on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website.

So the 570GT is impacted, why wouldn't the 570S also be part of it? Are the fuel tanks actually different?

McLaren Recalls Senna, 720S, Other Cars over Fire Risk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for this information. Used the NHTSA website to learn my 720S does have presumably this recall--was just in for annual service 2 weeks ago too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is McLaren paying for shipping cost to bring it to my selling dealer or the closest dealer? I meant in an enclosed trailer?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Corrode fuel tank? Isn’t it made of plastic or aluminum? The fix is though an easy one. Remove the foam. Then suffer more NVH( noise, vibration and harshness).

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
They claim no fires related yet. Claim. I'd b e curious to know if it does in fact relate to the Senna fires and they just don't want to say it. "It's inconclusive, but maybe?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
wonder if this found this based off the senna fires
This is not related at all. The issue hasn't been found on a Senna, but on 2x 570GT in Europe.

Foam holds moisture, may in certain conditions corrode adjacent fuel tank. If this happens, fuel may leak into a cold area of the engine bay. Only way of detecting is smell of fuel, which was how the 2 cases were originally found.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They claim no fires related yet. Claim. I'd b e curious to know if it does in fact relate to the Senna fires and they just don't want to say it. "It's inconclusive, but maybe?"
It is not related to any of the Senna fires. This issue has not caused any fires, and the recall is a safety precaution. NHTSA document sets it all out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
According to the article, "McLaren...is recalling 2763 of its vehicles built between 2016 and 2020, including its $1 million hypercar, the Senna. " ...and... "The affected McLaren products are the 2016 to 2020 720S, the 2020 GT, 2019 Senna, and the 2017 to 2019 570GT, "

Does that reveal the number of units built in total? 2763 seems like a lower number than I would expect if adding up all the 720s, GT's, 570's and Senna's built during that time period. Perhaps the recall is USA models only?

·
Registered
570GT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to the article, "McLaren...is recalling 2763 of its vehicles built between 2016 and 2020, including its $1 million hypercar, the Senna. " ...and... "The affected McLaren products are the 2016 to 2020 720S, the 2020 GT, 2019 Senna, and the 2017 to 2019 570GT, "

Does that reveal the number of units built in total? 2763 seems like a lower number than I would expect if adding up all the 720s, GT's, 570's and Senna's built during that time period. Perhaps the recall is USA models only?
Pretty sure this is US only: the 2763 figure is listed in the NHTSA document.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I asked a dealer as I have a 570GT.
Will post as I get updates.

“I am only aware of this on the McLaren Senna currently. This may mean that I will be notified soon of the other vehicles. I have contacted my aftersales rep to get some insight into this. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.”

·
Registered
45 Posts
I received an email late last night that stated that the recall does in fact affect 570GT, McLaren GT, and 720S models. This recall will be added to our system in the next few days and clients can drive their vehicles in to have the foam removed. From my experience with doing the Senna’s, this should take about an hour to do.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
323 Posts
The thing many people are interested in is getting their car to the dealer and back. I’m two hours from our dealer, a leased car. We enjoy visiting them but the drive is not exciting and puts miles on the odometer we’d rather use otherwise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts