McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Is it possible, to your knowledge, to set the rear wing in the "highest" position (as if braking) when the car is stationary?
It seems to me that the 765 is often exposed like this, with the spoiler at the top.

J.✈

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mclaren probably did it in software to make the car look sporty. I've heard from others about this. Apart from high downforce position, there isn't much to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't think you can do it with normal settings unless there is some secret button combination.

One option is to slowly force it up with the car off but you risk getting an airbrake error message especially if the sides aren't raised evenly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It would be cool to have it up all the way. Looks aggressive. I’ll have to see more videos of the 765LT to see how they set it. I think naturally the 765LT wing is higher than 720S. I’ve seen a DragTimes video where his 720S had the wing in the fully deployed position, but i think it may have been a self calibration. I’m too scared to push up on mine. Maybe (but probably unlikely) a future software update will give us a “display” mode for the wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had to manually raise the wing on my old 650 whenever it gave me an Airbrake Fault which I was told was due misalignment of the right and left wing position sensors. By slowly manually raising it all the way until it stopped the sensors were re-aligned and the error cleared itself when the car was restarted. I've never had the problem with the 720 so I've never needed to repeat the process.

·
Owner
472 Posts
Have you guys noticed after you have to get on the brakes really hard and the wing goes onto the OH SHIT position, and you continue to drive, that, will it goes down lower, it doesn't return to the "high" position immediately?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be cool to have it up all the way. Looks aggressive. I’ll have to see more videos of the 765LT to see how they set it. I think naturally the 765LT wing is higher than 720S. I’ve seen a DragTimes video where his 720S had the wing in the fully deployed position, but i think it may have been a self calibration. I’m too scared to push up on mine. Maybe (but probably unlikely) a future software update will give us a “display” mode for the wing.

Have you guys noticed after you have to get on the brakes really hard and the wing goes onto the OH SHIT position, and you continue to drive, that, will it goes down lower, it doesn't return to the "high" position immediately?
No, but I will see how works this wing… but I couldn't find anyone who could follow me through the turns and brakes, to film the wing (last time a Huracan Performance...no chance…). Anyone has a film ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
You probably need to get back up to speed, like 80-90+mph for it to go back into high downforce mode. Have you noticed when stopping the car when the wing is in high downforce mode, you could feel and hear the wing angle click down to regular height?(Not drop completely flush) It's pretty cool.

·
Owner
472 Posts
You probably need to get back up to speed, like 80-90+mph for it to go back into high downforce mode. Have you noticed when stopping the car when the wing is in high downforce mode, you could feel and hear the wing angle click down to regular height?(Not drop completely flush) It's pretty cool.
That's not what I am referring to.

Say you are going 80 or so and get on the brakes hard - the wing will go on the "faaaaak" position, which is pretty much vertical. But you don't come to a stop, instead, you slow down all the way to about 20 or 30mph, and then apply throttle again, but not fully...the wing will come down some, but it will not go into the position that is normal during "active mode"...instead, it will stay in a position in between the "active position" and the "faaaaak" position. Only after you drive for a few seconds will it return to the active position...but of course, if you get on the gas hard, it will return to the "i have no wing" position.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's not what I am referring to.

Say you are going 80 or so and get on the brakes hard - the wing will go on the "faaaaak" position, which is pretty much vertical. But you don't come to a stop, instead, you slow down all the way to about 20 or 30mph, and then apply throttle again, but not fully...the wing will come down some, but it will not go into the position that is normal during "active mode"...instead, it will stay in a position in between the "active position" and the "faaaaak" position. Only after you drive for a few seconds will it return to the active position...but of course, if you get on the gas hard, it will return to the "i have no wing" position.
All you have to do is watch the 3x720s at laguna seca video that is in the 720s sub forum

The helmet cam view from the last car shows the car immediately in front who hasn't pressed the "aero" button. Therefore, the wing is in the flat button. The car/esc determines when you need the aero, when it should flatten and when it should go all the way up. As soon as it detects that you need the aero then it comes into the aero position and stays there until it determines that you don't need the aero. There is only about a 70 yard distance where the wing flattens at W.O.T. even though you are at W.O.T. in other areas of the track.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think it’s because the 720s was the first car to use the entire length on the number as an air brake where’s as the 650S and 675LT had the center part so they needed a higher angle of attack to generate a similar amount.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ll you have to do is watch the 3x720s at laguna seca video that is in the 720s sub forum

The helmet cam view from the last car shows the car immediately in front who hasn't pressed the "aero" button. Therefore, the wing is in the flat button. The car/esc determines when you need the aero, when it should flatten and when it should go all the way up. As soon as it detects that you need the aero then it comes into the aero position and stays there until it determines that you don't need the aero. There is only about a 70 yard distance where the wing flattens at W.O.T. even though you are at W.O.T. in other areas of the track.
But still no possibility to put the wing in very high position when the car is stopped.:cry:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yea but I like the high downforce position when I park. It has a good stance. I would like the high position however. Maybe someone can ask the DragTimes guy how he did it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Especially since I wrapped the wing under, the effect is more wow….it'd be great to be able to put it in a very high position with the car parked.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only way is if you have the equipment to plug in order to check the aero system. Then you can make it stay in the highest position

See Thorney Motorsport who did just that to show what it looks like. Apparently no other way except through dealer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
Is it possible, to your knowledge, to set the rear wing in the "highest" position (as if braking) when the car is stationary?
It seems to me that the 765 is often exposed like this, with the spoiler at the top.

J.✈
I just got my 720S back from the 2 year service and noticed that my wing is a bit higher than before after they
did a update !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts